Bog Springs Trail

Bog Springs Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Green Valley, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Leave Interstate 19 at the Continental Road/Madera Canyon Exit #63. Turn east and follow signs to Bog Springs Campground in Madera Canyon Recreation Area. Turn left into the campground and drive around the loop to the trail parking area. The trail follows an old roadbed past campsite #13.

This was a nice, peaceful and beautiful hike. Great shade cover for the most part. The old service road didn't have any shade. The rocks and gravel were very loose. Definitely recommend trekking poles or a walking stick. I was carrying my daughter in her hard structure carrier. That was an additional 25-30lbs. I wasn't able to make it all the way up this time. The inclines were steep and slippery. I will be back to try again for sure. It was a great challenge. The majority of the trail is very skinny. At times there is barely any trail and you are right next to the edge of the mountain.

This was a great hike! Definitely need to take breaks going up the hill. You can hike this trail then continue onto Kent springs and loop back to the trailhead, and that's a bit longer. Also, the trail isn't clearly marked from the parking lot to the trailhead loop. You have to make it to the old road and head right until you see the trail sign (about half a mile). Overall it was beautiful.

Great trail with awesome views when hiking along side the mountain. Short trail but inclines will make it longer to finish than you think. Deep in the trail it's completely quiet and still which was great. The way down is much easier as it is downhill, but on the way up you may need to take several breaks.. but it's not impossible. I would say hiking shoes would be best if possible. Would do it again!

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

We did this trail in January with the intention to get to Kent Spring. We took our dog since this is a dog-friendly hike (he seemed to enjoy it). The trail turns into a small pathway along the valley with great views. Once we arrived at Bog Spring, we were surrounded by large trees. The spring had no water but the location was a nice place to sit and enjoy nature. We did not continue to Kent Spring, but the hike was worth it. I hope to visit again in late Fall when the trees begin to change color.

Monday, June 04, 2012

This was my first trail in the mountains as I am from Arkansas and we don't have mountains, needless to say it was a bit of a challenge for my "hill legs". I wouldn't say it isn't an overly difficult trail, but I took some breaks for sure.

Pretty good views of the canyon along the way but the highlight was certainly the spring itself. It's tucked back in a shady holler and it was nice to relax in the shade for a few minutes.

There is a good diversity in flora along the trail, most of which was foreign to this hillbilly. The cacti were pretty neat as were the large trees at the spring. They seemed really out of place among the small bushy trees along the trail.

I made a loop with the adjoining Kent Spring and Sylvester Spring trails. Which was about four miles all together.

Friday, December 30, 2011

We did this trip with my 3, 4, and 6 year old kids. For little kids, this trail has some steep sections and narrow trails, but none that they couldn't complete while holding a hand. The beginning of the trail, which also leads to Kent Springs and Four Springs, doesn't have much shade, so it is good to start before the heat of the day. Once you are on the Bog Springs trail, there is more shade, but some steep and narrow sections (as I described above). There are also some good (but not spectacular) views of the canyon out towards Green Valley, AZ. This was the first "real hike" for my kids and they did great. The springs only had stagnant water, so I recommend that you pack your own. We were back by lunch time, even with several stops to rest little legs.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nice trail great views not too difficult made it into a loop using Kent Springs trail