Bluff Spring Loop

Bluff Spring Loop is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gold Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail starts at the Peralta Trailhead on the south side of the Superstition Wilderness.

Quiet , low traffic , and pretty

Wow! What a great hike. Incredible scenery, the quintessential Superstitions experience. We talked to the park rangers before hand to clarify details about signs. If you are doing the loop - just stay left. When you get into the canyon look for the rocks the rangers placed as markers and you won't miss the trail. We went clockwise to avoid climbing up cardiac hill - the loose gravel and rocks were a bit annoying at the end of the trek but all in all this was a stunning 9.6 mile journey.

This was a great trail. Great views of the superstition mountains, and pockets of water on the bottom of the trail near the creek bed. There are several nice campsites that we pass along the way. I brought about 3L of water and ran out at the end. We started at the Bluff Springs Loop trail, and looped around to the Dutchman trail. There are 2 turns
that are easy to miss, we had the alltrails map up so we found our way back. Hiked about 10.5 miles overall. Nice Challenge.

I am an avid hiker and I'm not a fan of this trail at all. We ended up hiking 13.5 miles, since we missed a turn off due to poor signage. So we ended up hiking a few more miles than the 8.9 we were expecting. There were great views as we started out to the left but then not much after that. It's not a tough trail just very boring and with not much to look at. If you're looking for a long nature walk this is the perfect trail for you!

I was out of shape, however, it wasn't too hard to complete. I'll definitely come back again.

Approximate time:
~ 90 minutes going up
~ 60 minutes coming down

This was one of the best hikes I have ever been to. Within the first minute into your hike, the ascend begins! Once on the top, it plateaus and the gorgeous view continues on both sides of your hike. The view of the valley on your right with Miner's Needle is amazing.

many beautiful flowers

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Beautiful and challenging!

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Enjoyable hike! We'd recommend going clockwise--you start with a steep incline, have a rewarding view at the top, and go through a very steady decline for the rest of the loop. Needed more water--3L should be good for the winter months. Wish we'd caught some water in the washes--it would've made the hike perfect! Only "meh" was how stale the trail gets in the last few miles. We clocked in at around 9-10 miles.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Nice diversity in terrain throughout the hike. Didn't bring quite enough water (2L + 32 oz bottle). We went clockwise, which we'd advise--you start off with a moderate climb, and then it's easygoing from there.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Great hike. Scenic and great distance!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Awesome!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

amazing views, ended up making it a 11.95 mile loop. small water pools after the rain. awesome day hike for sure. only saw two other people this day on the trail.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Classic Superstitions.....outstanding.

Friday, December 04, 2015

Great hike, excellent Sonoran desert and desert mountain views. It should not be rated as easy though. It has around 1,000 feet of elevation change, and some very rough/rocky parts of the trail. We recorded it on 2 different devices. As is said in other reviews, it is longer than listed; being between 9 and 10 miles.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Great trail. It was actually 10 miles. Took us about 4 hours.

Monday, October 20, 2014

I agree that you should wear long pants, even if it's hot. This was my first time in the area and my legs got ripped up. We went counter clockwise from the beginning of the Dutchmen trailhead and looped around. It was a little over 9 miles but beautiful views. I look forward to checking out other trails in that area.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Agree with the long pants. Great trail amazing views and different trails along the way to extend if you want

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Nice trail. Wear long pants in the fall--even on a warm day, as my legs got really scratched and scraped. Says it's 6.9 mi but I hiked 8.4 mi doing this loop. Took me 3.5 hrs once at the trailhead. Bring lots of protein and water.

Saturday, March 09, 2013

This is a very beautiful hike through some gorgeous terrain in the Superstition Wilderness. We took the loop in the counter-clockwise direction, which dispenses with the steepest climb at the outset. There are many interesting mountains, hoodoos, and other formations. Due to a snow storm a few days before, there were still some patches of snow on the north-facing slopes, and there was water flowing in the creeks. The hike around Miner's Needle revealed poppies beginning to bloom. A very enjoyable time.