Blue Wash Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 406 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was great. I loved the waterfall at the end. Just wished you could do the incline of the trail to start versus the end.

This trail is primarily flat which makes it easy to walk through and find your way. But once you get past the waterfall, the trail is covered with foliage you have to duck through or climb over. The path is still very visible though. We were trying to get to the pooling area to swim and didn’t make it. A lot of people kept turning back after the waterfall area which left us with questions of how much further. The waterfall was nice. The stream dries up and the day goes on though. Around noon, water was flowing a little heavier on the way to the falls, and one the way back around 2, it had dried up after a certain point. There are a lot of bugs but they’re harmless unless provoked. Unfortunately, my partner had a nice, sweet oatmeal Cliff bar in her shorts’ pocket - opened. And a bee tried to go after it and stung her during the swatting. :( Luckily I had some Bentonite clay in the car and some Benadryl! Lots of pretty butterflies and little moths fluttering around too.

Great, trail! Not very well marked!!!! Hard to find if you’ve never been! Otherwise worth going! If your at parking lot go downhill at end go downhill, make a left, go straight up hill, at wash make a right, make left at creek and stay left you will run into waterfall.

I would call this trail easy. There were small kids walking with their parents with no problem. Once you hit the waterfall, the boulders can be slippery if you don’t have good traction. But it was LOVELY! The cold water felt very refreshing and the view is to die for.

This is a good hike although I got stung by something. Lots of small wild life and blooming vegetation. Next time I will take my Tevas and a towel so I can get in the water. The falls are a perfect oasis.

Sandy trail. Easy in and out. Creek is nice for lay third of hike. Waterfall is cool and nice spot to sit. It is busy and some trash left. (Take a trash bag). But overall a clean trail.

It was a fun hike. Glad I read everyone else’s reviews before going. Took my 9YO and 5YO we stayed for 4 hours. It was crowded in the morning but as afternoon came we had the place to ourselves then slowly people trickled in later in the day. It really is a perfect place for kids. Don’t expect a HUGE waterfall, it is flowing though. The water did warm up with the weather. I highly recommend bug spray with sunscreen. We encountered lots of bees, wasps and yellow jackets. Also if you have allergies take allergy medication flowers are in bloom!! I have TMobile and there is no service so thankfully google maps was there for us on the way back as there are several different paths to choose from. Will be going back again!!

bridge out

I decided to do this trail with my three year old son as his first hike, as I felt it seemed pretty easy based off the reviews. Immediately upon starting our hike, I realized I had left my cell phone at home.. this wasn't a good start. But we were here and I figured it might be a nice break from technology so we still carried on. Luckily there were two guys who had the trails app in front of us, otherwise I am not sure I would have been able to make it there and back without a map. There are a lot of narrow paths and choices in direction to take so if you are able to come prepared with a map that is your best bet. It really wasn't too hard of a hike and I am proud of my three year old for making it all the way there and back for his first hike ever. That said, it was eventful. We saw two baby Gila monsters in the creek, a snake, some sort of black water spiders, and had to run through a swarm of bees on the way back. But all in all, the waterfall was worth it and luckily a fellow mom was there to take a picture of us for the memories. Just be careful walking through the creek and watch out for the bees. I'm curious tho, can anyone tell me what the little spiders were around the water? We saw them while sitting near the start of the creek on our way back from the waterfall and after looking online I am not finding anything about water spiders in Arizona? Also am wondering the history of the old car that is seen on the trail? Overall, beautiful hike with great ARIZONA nature and landscape. Just pack plenty of extra water, bring a map, snacks, sunscreen and look out for critters and you will be good.

Very doable for kids aged 6 and up. Bring water, no shade, no signs just stick to the left until you get to the blue wash and then make a left to the falls. Fun small bouldering, I would rate this trail easy.

Fun and easy sandy trail most of the way until you get to the creek. Then a few creek crossings up to the falls. May get your feet wet. We needed to use our AllTrails map to stay on course because there were so many options to take. First part of hike you are down in narrow wash path and then it opens up to a wide wash. Follow all the way down to creek. Bear left and head around up to the little waterfall. Arrived on Tuesday @ 7am- 4 people leaving, saw 4 people at the waterfall and then a lot of families on our way back up. Spent at least 30 minutes at the fall and hiked a total of 60 minutes, made time for pictures and enjoying nature.

By far my favorite hike. Hiked with a 5 year old and a 1.5 year old in backpack with no complaints. Love the scenery. A lil rocky but we like the change of trails. Also trails not marked so we went a different route getting to the waterfall. Went at 430 pm on a Monday and saw maybe 5 ppl at most. Only downfall, lots of bees by the creek.

Easy little hike we spent an hour hiking in total and it was cool to see the waterfall.

Went this Sunday. Got there at exactly 6am. There were already four other cars parked in the designated parking area at the trailhead. Got to the little falls at around 6:45am. It probably could’ve taken even less time if we didn’t stop a couple times to take photos. The hike through the wash is pretty, although we saw a bit of trash. It’s a super easy hike (coming from someone who hikes a lot), crossing the creek a few times and just walking through the wash. You’ll most likely be walking in a couple of inches of water at some point. Not much change in elevation except for the first quarter mile. There were four people at the falls when we got there and as we were leaving (7:15am) floods of people starting coming in. Groups of 5 or more, people of all ages. Probably passed over 70 people hiking in as we were hiking out. The area with the falls is tiny, maybe 1500 sf. To think that we would have had to stand in that area with 70 other people makes me glad I woke up at 4am. The weather was perfect at that time.

2nd on this trail, just follow the wash down to the creek and the. Go left , no trail markers and sometimes the creek is dried up. First time i went the creek was flowing this time didnt get to the water till almost the end of the trail. Good trail for kids and pets. Easy with a little bit of climbing over some boulders but nothing difficult

Nice short little hike. Some shady spots. No markers to get to waterfall. Just stay left at the river. I would rate this hike easy. A few parts have boulders to climb over. Other than that not strenuous at all. We got turned around on our way back. Should of just taken us 2.8 round trip. Go early we got to the fall at 8 already about 15 people on a Friday. We enjoyed it. However didn’t stay long since so many people.

We have done this hike a couple times in the past month. Once without and once with kids. It’s an pretty easy hike, just over a mile each way. There is no shade for the mile it takes to reach any water though, so you’ll want to go early to beat the heat. Once you get the water you follow about a quarter mile to where it opens up into a shallow pond with a small waterfall. It has been VERY busy both times we have went so if you’re looking to “social distance” this is not really the place to hike to. Wear tennis or hiking shoes for most the hike as it is fairly rocky with lots of loose gravel but you’ll also want to pack some shoes to change into that you don’t mind getting wet once you hit the water. Also, bring a t-shirt to get wet to wear on the hike back to keep you cool.

Great hike with very little shade. We did see a rattlesnake close to the waterfall. Follow the little red flags (left) when you get to the creek. Super fun and don’t forget your water shoes to splash around at the base of the waterfall! For a weekday morning (started at 730 am) it was not too crowded until we got to the fall.

Trail was in good condition although single track. Not condusive to social distancing. Cross over the wash several times. I hiked past the falls still some nice photo ops. Foxtails Galore along the wash at this time....I would not bring my dogs for the risk of a vet bill in a few days.

Bring water and watch out for snakes!

heavily trafficked is an understatement. this trail was amazing though, loved the wash and the waterfall

Nice and easy trail, bring lots of water especially on the way up as it is a pretty steep incline. Water was nice temperature but kinda over crowded.

First time hiking in a long time. Great workout. Beautiful waterfall. Snakes are on the trail so be cautious of wildlife. Lots of dogs.

Awesome hike, ran into a snake for some added excitement