Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Blue Mesa Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Holbrook, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Windy day in the low 40s in Petrified Forest. The loop took me 30 minutes while stopping for many pictures. Beautiful views in every direction as the trail leads down to a valley with clay formations surrounding you.

We hiked this trail on 3/4/19. Great views and quite cool to be down among the rock features. The trail is steep at the beginning but is entirely paved. Definitely would recommend for any visitors of Petrified Forest.

Easy loop with beautiful view of the badlands!

Beautiful example of desert badlands- very distinctive blue gray color and plenty of petrified wood uncovered.

Fabulous, a must do at Petrified National Park!!! Short but absolutely stunning and unique views — the colors are gorgeous, and the ancient earth energy is amazing. Thank you Mama Earth ✨

I liked this trail. Even my mother hiked it with me. Great little loop and the blue hues of the mesa were fun to take pics of and edit the color later on my camera.

beaitiful colors in the rock. well worth it!!

Great short hike. Some steepness in the beginning. Highly recommend considering how short the hike is and for the views.

Great trail! It goes right through the middle of the Blue Mesa!!

Great trail! A good chance to stretch your legs and see some cool scenery. There’s also a good amount of petrified wood scattered around the trail. Has a bit of a steep start and ending just FYI.

Paved trail. Awesome views of blue Mesa mounds and petrified wood

Not a difficult hike, but some great views. It can be a bit slippery after the rain, so use some caution, but otherwise it is pretty easy, which gives you time to take in the colors!

loved it, like walking on another planet

Pretty easy trail to complete. The only small challenge is the initial 300 ft where you descend into the lower area to see the base of the Mesa. Beautiful layers, we compared them to the Badlands in North and South Dakota. it was definitely hot, 107 the day we made the loop. Under cooler conditions it would be very easy. Highly recommended.

This hike was beyond beautiful! Simple loop but was hot so bring water! Great photo opportunities on this hike with all the wonderful colors.

Easy loop into an amazing part of the park. Petrified wood and the blue-purple tint of the mesa walls are so alien.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Good parking.

Well paved trail with some benches. The many informative panels kept us intrigued

Thursday, March 15, 2018

March 2018 with Michael , the multicolored petrified wood is beautiful.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

So beautiful, simple paved trail into an awesome memorable experience!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

My favorite trail in petrified forest NP. The view is really like in another planet. It make me remember the movie of Interstellar.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It was a pretty and easy hike, but there was not much petrified wood here. Other areas of the park have much more.

Monday, January 08, 2018

Nice, well maintained (paved) trail. Great views all around. Take a bit of water in the summer even though it’s just a mile.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Very beautiful- quiet, secluded. Really enjoyed this quick little hike.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

This is the best hiking trail in the whole park.

Friday, November 24, 2017

Beautiful walk through the badlands. The path is paved and in good condition. When I went it was busy, but everyone was spread out.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Walking through the Blue Mesas, I felt like I was on another planet! So beautiful! On the trail, it was my husband, our 2.5 year old son, and me. Our son is pretty good with hiking, but the ledges at the beginning of the trail made me too nervous to let him walk on his own (he's a runner). So I wore him in a hiking backpack. The steep decline at the beginning was a little challenging, but nothing too bad. Plus, we got some great views from there. Once down in the valley, the trail was relatively flat. I was a bit nervous about hiking back up at the end, but there was a bench about halfway up where we took a quick break and even watched a train go by in the distance.

Friday, March 24, 2017

We took the Blue Mesa trail to where pieces of petrified wood form capstones (like balanced rocks) over eroded clay soils. The paved loop trail descends steeply to the floor beneath the blue, gray, and white-striped badlands - some of the prettiest land in the park. At the bottom, the hillsides streak and blend where the clay has washed into drainages. Pretty cool.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

This was my favorite stop in the entire park. The blue mesas are out of this world. There is a steep climb down and I wouldn't recommend it for young children. Mesmerizing hike!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This trail was my favorite part of the Petrified Forrest. The trail from the parking area to the loop was somewhat steep but had great views. the loop itself was fairly flat.