Blue Mesa Trail

Blue Mesa Trail is a 1.4 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holbrook, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1.4 km
33 m

Great short hike. Some steepness in the beginning. Highly recommend considering how short the hike is and for the views.

Great trail! It goes right through the middle of the Blue Mesa!!

Great trail! A good chance to stretch your legs and see some cool scenery. There’s also a good amount of petrified wood scattered around the trail. Has a bit of a steep start and ending just FYI.

Paved trail. Awesome views of blue Mesa mounds and petrified wood

Not a difficult hike, but some great views. It can be a bit slippery after the rain, so use some caution, but otherwise it is pretty easy, which gives you time to take in the colors!

loved it, like walking on another planet

Pretty easy trail to complete. The only small challenge is the initial 300 ft where you descend into the lower area to see the base of the Mesa. Beautiful layers, we compared them to the Badlands in North and South Dakota. it was definitely hot, 107 the day we made the loop. Under cooler conditions it would be very easy. Highly recommended.

This hike was beyond beautiful! Simple loop but was hot so bring water! Great photo opportunities on this hike with all the wonderful colors.

Easy loop into an amazing part of the park. Petrified wood and the blue-purple tint of the mesa walls are so alien.

Good parking.

Well paved trail with some benches. The many informative panels kept us intrigued

March 2018 with Michael , the multicolored petrified wood is beautiful.

So beautiful, simple paved trail into an awesome memorable experience!

My favorite trail in petrified forest NP. The view is really like in another planet. It make me remember the movie of Interstellar.

It was a pretty and easy hike, but there was not much petrified wood here. Other areas of the park have much more.

Nice, well maintained (paved) trail. Great views all around. Take a bit of water in the summer even though it’s just a mile.

Very beautiful- quiet, secluded. Really enjoyed this quick little hike.

This is the best hiking trail in the whole park.

Beautiful walk through the badlands. The path is paved and in good condition. When I went it was busy, but everyone was spread out.

Walking through the Blue Mesas, I felt like I was on another planet! So beautiful! On the trail, it was my husband, our 2.5 year old son, and me. Our son is pretty good with hiking, but the ledges at the beginning of the trail made me too nervous to let him walk on his own (he's a runner). So I wore him in a hiking backpack. The steep decline at the beginning was a little challenging, but nothing too bad. Plus, we got some great views from there. Once down in the valley, the trail was relatively flat. I was a bit nervous about hiking back up at the end, but there was a bench about halfway up where we took a quick break and even watched a train go by in the distance.

Friday, March 24, 2017

We took the Blue Mesa trail to where pieces of petrified wood form capstones (like balanced rocks) over eroded clay soils. The paved loop trail descends steeply to the floor beneath the blue, gray, and white-striped badlands - some of the prettiest land in the park. At the bottom, the hillsides streak and blend where the clay has washed into drainages. Pretty cool.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

This was my favorite stop in the entire park. The blue mesas are out of this world. There is a steep climb down and I wouldn't recommend it for young children. Mesmerizing hike!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This trail was my favorite part of the Petrified Forrest. The trail from the parking area to the loop was somewhat steep but had great views. the loop itself was fairly flat.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

A must. So unique and beautiful!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

It is not a hard trail as mentioned here. I can say it is moderate. Amazing views of the Triassic landscape.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Great trail! There's a fairly steep but short incline/decline at the beginning but worth it. The colors are amazing!

Thursday, October 22, 2015

All paved. Steep incline at the beginning/end of the loop. Great views on the valley floor.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Great views of the painted desert. Blue Mesa also nice. Great hiking and easy slopes

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Blue Mesa is the best tourist hike in the park. Being paved, I consider it more of a walk. With that said it is absolutely stunning in its landscape. Recommend to all. Trail has a steep incline/decline to the valley floor. Otherwise doable by all.

The "off the beaten path hike", the Historic Blue Forest trail, 3 mils roundtrip, begins at the Tepees and ends here on the Blue Mesa. Highly recommend for those seeking a real trail.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Nice short hike through desert terrain. Hot, hot, hot...bring H2O and sunscreen.