Blue Mesa Trail

Blue Mesa Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holbrook, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Walking through the Blue Mesas, I felt like I was on another planet! So beautiful! On the trail, it was my husband, our 2.5 year old son, and me. Our son is pretty good with hiking, but the ledges at the beginning of the trail made me too nervous to let him walk on his own (he's a runner). So I wore him in a hiking backpack. The steep decline at the beginning was a little challenging, but nothing too bad. Plus, we got some great views from there. Once down in the valley, the trail was relatively flat. I was a bit nervous about hiking back up at the end, but there was a bench about halfway up where we took a quick break and even watched a train go by in the distance.

We took the Blue Mesa trail to where pieces of petrified wood form capstones (like balanced rocks) over eroded clay soils. The paved loop trail descends steeply to the floor beneath the blue, gray, and white-striped badlands - some of the prettiest land in the park. At the bottom, the hillsides streak and blend where the clay has washed into drainages. Pretty cool.

This was my favorite stop in the entire park. The blue mesas are out of this world. There is a steep climb down and I wouldn't recommend it for young children. Mesmerizing hike!