Blackett's Ridge Trail

Blackett's Ridge Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is one of the "Must See" hikes in the area, if you're in town for a short while and want a hike with spectacular views of the Coronado National Forrest. After you park your car in the lot, walk over to the Bear Canyon trailhead - it will be off to the right of the visitors center. Shortly after you start the hike you will come to a paved tram road, turn right and walk along the paved tram road until you come to a small building, cross the bridge to your right and start out along the Phoneline trail. You'll see the trailhead sign for Blacketts Ridge Trail. At the top you'll have incredible views of Thimble Peak to the Northeast and an awesome view of the Phoneline Trail way down below.

38 minutes ago

Definitely a go to for me when I want some elevation, beautiful scenery and have limited time. It easily checks all of those off! My favorite hike in Sabino Canyon for sure.

I always love this hike. 1 hour up and 50 minutes down.

Overcast cool going up!
Pretty poppies and brittlebush.
Lite traffic friendly hikers for a Saturday noon+.

This trail is great for a cardio workout! I recommend shoes with good grip as coming down the trail can be a little steep. The trail can be a little crowded with groups but I don’t mind. I do this trail at least once a month as a conditioning hike because it offers so much in the way of physical training. And the view from the top can’t be beat!

We got off Phoneline accidentally and ended up picking up the Phoneline Link trail which was beautiful with many different types of cacti and leafy trees providing shade. Nice climb up switchbacks with views. We had to travel down Phoneline about 1/2 mile to reach Blackett’s TH, but it makes a nice loop. Steady climb, avoid in high heat. Summit is marked by a sign but views at the top do not really surpass what you see on the way. Still a great workout and fun to summit. Loop added an additional 1.5 miles for a total of 7.5 miles and 1800 feet of climbing.

Challenging hike with steep grades and deep steps. The footing is rocky but not the worst. There’s no shade on this trail and it can get windy up there. Great views of Sabino Canyon and Tucson.

Great half day hike. Amazing 360 views of the city of Tuscon and the canyon and valley. Out and back took approximately 2.5-3hours carrying a 6month old on our back. The trail is very well maintained and is a gradual climb. Very straight forward hike, not challenging just a steady climb. Good for all ages and hiking ability. I would not say this is a hard climb just a steady one. Views are worth it.

This trail is difficult and is worth the view at the end of the trail.

Beautiful trail and scenery the whole way. Great cardio workout. Start early to avoid crowds- but would recommend nonetheless!

Nice workout due to grade (moderate to hard). Took us 1hr35 from parking lot. Total hike close to 3 hours (out and back). Beautiful scenery. Full sun (we started around 9:45 am). Gorgeous views at summit. Would recommend it.

This trail has great views and it’s easy to follow. I would rate the difficulty as moderate not hard. If you are in the area this is a must.

Great short hike (took us 3:15 with a decent lunch stop at the top.) A nice steady ascent that keeps you working throughout with great views. Crowds seemed to taper off when you turn onto the trailhead.

Rewarding views with a couple false summits. Not too technical.

Definitely a hard hike but 100% worth it for the views that you get at the top. Took about 2 hours to get up to the top, with a ruck on (weighted backpack), and about 1 and 15 minutes to get down. It was a challenging cardiovascular hike and a great work out / hike. Make sure to pack plenty of water. Definitely recommend!

Tough but worth it!

This is a great, short hike. It loses a star, however, because it’s too convenient and often crowded.

Loved the trail. New to the hiking scene in Tucson but could completed this trail in 3ish hours. Like all the other reviews said, keep going till you see a sign that says this is the end of the trail ! All the sweat is worth it ;)

Nice hike. Narrow trail be prepared to move aside for runners. The trail has a steady incline without many switchbacks. There are 3 false summits but once you get to the top it’s a great view.

Love this trail. Beautiful at the top. 2.5 hours up and 2 hours down. Novice hikers.

Go easily before the sun can really roast you, but it is an awesome view from up top!

Tough hike on a hot day, but absolutely beautiful on the top and worth the sweat!

Took me 1:20 to the top, 3 false summits, great views.

Such a fun hike. Not too long, takes about 2+ hours, so I just carry a water bottle and I'm set. Beautiful view at the top is a big motivator to make it to the end. My favorite part is the way down, if you're sure footed you can fly down the trail like a staircase which I love.

This is a short hike but it is a good workout hike because it has lots of elevation gain. I recommend starting this hike before 6 AM in the summer because it heats up quickly at this elevation.

This was the toughest hike I’ve ever done. Totally worth the views at the top!

Definitely difficult! But loved the view from the top! Totally worth it!

Great fall/winter/spring hike for any experience level. One of the best views in the Catalinas.

It was 108 today. I hiked with my 18 year old daughter. We had plenty of water. We stayed hydrated but it was just hot. Towards the end we were hating life. Every step down was a massive effort. Realistically, we should have turned back before we reached the end of the trail. But now that I’m cooled off, I’m really proud of the picture I have of the end of trail sign. We want to do this again anytime the temperature is under 100.

Great hike. Not too difficult. Very rewarding 360 view at the end from the ridge. So beautiful at dusk. :-)

perfect workout. I've done 3 times in a 24 hr.period. It never gets any easier