Blackett's Ridge Trail

Blackett's Ridge Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is one of the "Must See" hikes in the area, if you're in town for a short while and want a hike with spectacular views of the Coronado National Forrest. After you park your car in the lot, walk over to the Bear Canyon trailhead - it will be off to the right of the visitors center. Shortly after you start the hike you will come to a paved tram road, turn right and walk along the paved tram road until you come to a small building, cross the bridge to your right and start out along the Phoneline trail. You'll see the trailhead sign for Blacketts Ridge Trail. At the top you'll have incredible views of Thimble Peak to the Northeast and an awesome view of the Phoneline Trail way down below.

Great views

Great hike. 6 false summits. The best view of Thimble Peak. The climbs are on south facing slopes. So best to do this hike early morning. There is very little shade. We saw three chipmunks as we ate our lunch at the end of the trail and we did not feed them.

Nice trail, nice hike, good workout. First mile is flat & partly on a road, but that goes by pretty quickly. Once you get to Phone Line Trail you start going up, & when you get to Blackett’s Ridge Trail you go up up. I did this in late January, & the heat was tolerable; it must be brutal in summer.

Great hike!! Views are unbelievable!!

Great trail, took 1h5min to the top, no breaks. Cool morning was perfect for climbing. Surely go again!

I started a bit late in the day so most of the return was with headlamp. I'm a bit older and the knee joints don't like going down on the switch backs. needless to say it took more time down than it did going up. I felt really old when some trail runners I met at the top were running it again when I was coming down. 2 men and a lady. Yep impressive in the stamina they had. I loved the hike and the views were incredible!! Take lots of water. I had 2.5 ltrs and used it all. I went in January and was glad for the cool temp. definitely doing it again. Happy trails!!!

Blacketts Ridge my favorite hike!

Good workout, strenuous climbing and great view at the top.

Good workout. Just know that most of the elevation is in the last 1.5 miles. Also, there are 2-3 false summits so just keep going until you see the sign "End of Blackett's Trial". FINALLY, AND MAYBE MOST IMPORTANT! LADIES, WHEN YOU "POP A SQUAT" PLEASE, PLEASE CARRY YOUR TISSUE OUT. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE IT. WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING SO DISGUSTING? JUST PUT A BAGGIE IN YOUR BACKPACK AND TOSS IT WHEN YOU GET HOME! PLEASE TAKE CARE OF NATURE!

One of my favorite trails

Beautiful views no matter how far you go. It took me 3 tries to get to the top because of how demanding it was. The first big climb is the worst and make all the other inclines seem like nothing. I went in January and started at 7:30am and it took me 3 hours to finish. Weather was beautiful. Highly recommend

Hard yet rewarding hike make sure to drink plenty of water when I was done with this height my legs for in knots because I think I just didn't consume enough fluids

Awesome hike! Please don't feed the chipmunks, folks - they're super cute, but it can be detrimental to their health and their ability to fend for themselves in the long run!

This was my very first trail when started hiking back in march and decided to make it my last hike of the year, I never hiked before until I met Someone from out of state. (local friends are pretty lazy) I got hooked and was left hanging and decided to keep doing it alone and am glad I continued, I've done so many trails now and all amazing in their own different way. Seen all kinds of critters, plants, rocks and made a couple friends on the trails. Never thought I would be hiking 217 miles from march till today. I have to say i feel amazing and it has made me realize and see all the beauty arizona has to offer and I was missing out . I have to thank that one person that came into my life for that one only reason, HIKiNG!!! Happy New Year to everyone, and keep on hiking, I know I will and can't wait for it!!

Fun short hike.

Tough trail, but a great hike! It’s not bad until you split off onto Blackett’s Ridge Trail but from there it’s quite steep and definitely offers a challenge.

Great trail, good quad workout do it with a buddy though. Tons of fearless little birds and squirrels at the top too. Absolutely beautiful

Incredible views. The perfect sauntering experience.

You get to the trailhead by taking the bear canyon trail and then the phone line trail. It’s 1.7 miles to the top and a good workout. The trail is steep and has great views throughout. No shade cover so wear sunscreen. Would recommend.