Blackett's Ridge Trail

Blackett's Ridge Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is one of the "Must See" hikes in the area, if you're in town for a short while and want a hike with spectacular views of the Coronado National Forrest. After you park your car in the lot, walk over to the Bear Canyon trailhead - it will be off to the right of the visitors center. Shortly after you start the hike you will come to a paved tram road, turn right and walk along the paved tram road until you come to a small building, cross the bridge to your right and start out along the Phoneline trail. You'll see the trailhead sign for Blacketts Ridge Trail. At the top you'll have incredible views of Thimble Peak to the Northeast and an awesome view of the Phoneline Trail way down below.

You get to the trailhead by taking the bear canyon trail and then the phone line trail. It’s 1.7 miles to the top and a good workout. The trail is steep and has great views throughout. No shade cover so wear sunscreen. Would recommend.

So I tried following the directions and routed myself to the bear canyon trailhead to start. Perhaps there is more than one, because I definitely didn't start where it says on the map. The trail was so poorly marked that I quickly lost it, got very lost myself and had to walk to a nearby home to find a dirt road to turn around. I'm not sure if there are multiple "Bear Canyon Trailheads" or what's up, but it wasn't a great experience today.

Fun hike. Start as early as possible for the most enjoyable results.

Whoever said this was "nature's stairstepper" was right. I should have listened. If you have knee issues you might want to think about wearing a brace for this one. That said, this is one beautiful hike. When you think you're almost there, take a deep breath and kick that thought right out of your head. You're not. Lots of false summits. Be patient, enjoy the views, and bring a snack for the end of the trail. You're going to want to soak it all in up top.

This is good trail if you are looking for a not too long and not too short, but not too short. But I recommend going early in the morning (I didn't!), there is not a single shred of shade any where in the trail! Also, note that even though trail only gains 1700 ft but it is mostly in the second half, first half is mostly flat. So, it has some pretty steep parts.

The views alone are worth doing this hike. It’s also an awesome workout. Highly recommended.

This hike is a b****!!! But in the best way possible. The views and sense of accomplishment at the top are absolutely unbeatable. One of my favorite hikes when I need a good workout.

Great trail - stair master of the trails.

If you have one morning to see the Catalina Mountains, this is the hike to do. Get out early in the summer and have breakfast up top. No matter how many times I make it up this, the false peaks drive me crazy. The views from the top are outstanding in every direction.

Good five years ago.
Impossible now

It has so many amazing views you can easily forget that you're trying to reach the top.

Exhilarating!

Difficult but beautiful. Great views from the top! Many false summits add to the fun!

challenging with all the elevation. Greatvwork out!

Until now, I had been hiking the 'moderate' trails around Tucson. This was my first 'hard' trail, and it was definitely more difficult in elevation, terrain, and length. Absolutely worth it though. Once you start to gain elevation the views are amazing, especially on the saddle near the top. Poles are definitely recommended if you use them regularly.

Excellent views from the top, but definitely a good climb! Once you get past the first mile or so the top is cooler with more wind which helps on the hotter days.

Good short, steep hike. Lately, I've been doing it x2 for a great workout.

Great view of thimble peak! I was a little sore the next day, pretty steep going up, but definitely worth it!

My first hike, all my life in Az and took to meet someone from Virginia that had recently moved here for me to do this,,,