Blackett's Ridge Trail

Blackett's Ridge Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is one of the "Must See" hikes in the area, if you're in town for a short while and want a hike with spectacular views of the Coronado National Forrest. After you park your car in the lot, walk over to the Bear Canyon trailhead - it will be off to the right of the visitors center. Shortly after you start the hike you will come to a paved tram road, turn right and walk along the paved tram road until you come to a small building, cross the bridge to your right and start out along the Phoneline trail. You'll see the trailhead sign for Blacketts Ridge Trail. At the top you'll have incredible views of Thimble Peak to the Northeast and an awesome view of the Phoneline Trail way down below.

Great hike. Not too difficult. Very rewarding 360 view at the end from the ridge. So beautiful at dusk. :-)

perfect workout. I've done 3 times in a 24 hr.period. It never gets any easier

One of my favorites around here! The views are spectacular and it has a fair amount of elevation in a short distance but if you take your time, it’s worth the climb. Take a nice lunch and relax at the summit. Sabino Canyon in general never disappoints.

We have hiked this twice. This trip reminded us this is a tough hike. Don't be deceived by the short distance. The middle portion is all steep rocky switchbacks up the front of the mountain… up about 800’ in ¾ mile. Very challenging. My Garmin showed hike at 6.1 miles starting at visitor center, with about 1800' elevation gain. Hot and no shade. I would not do this in the afternoon. Bring plenty of water. Not a busy hike so may have nice 360 views at the top all to yourself! As others have said ... don't stop until you get to the end of trail sign.

Hiked this yesterday. Started at 1030 and finished at 1345 (but hung out for 45 min. at the end of the trail in solitude--nobody else there)! Views are spectacular and make this strenuous climb well worth it. I usually hike with my 4 yr old, but this trail is not for her. Spotted one snake, one giant hawk, lizards and squirrels. Pretty cool when a helicopter comes down Bear canyon and then back up Sabino Canyon-- and it's well below you! I will do this trail again. Hot (yesterday was in the 90s) so bring lots of water. A must do.

Took the whole family for an outing. Thought it was great. Took a lot of rests on the way up. Jumped in the cold pool afterwards.

Great hike!! 3 rd time doing it!!! Views are wonderful!!

Start off the hike by hopping on Bear Canyon Trail at the south end of the parking lot at the Sabino Visitor's Center. Follow the path until it T's into a paved road and take a right. You'll approach some bathrooms and an option to turn right over a stream/wash with a small bridge. Cross that and you will soon find yourself at the intersection with Phoneline Trail. Phoneline has some elevation gain, but nothing too strenuous. Take it approximately 0.6 miles to Blackett's Ridge Trail. This is the portion of the hike that earned it the rating of "hard." It is roughly 1.7 miles to the summit and the elevation gain is no joke. As others have stated, there are a few sports that seem like they could be the summit but are not. You'll know you've reached the summit when you see a sign that reads, "END OF THE BLACKETT'S RIDGE TRAIL." You can also tell you've reached the summit by the simple fact that you will not be able to go any farther... simply down. The views at the summit make the trek worth it. Take some time to enjoy the views and refuel. We did encounter a couple of squirrels, but they were not aggressive (of course we did not feed them). As expected, the way back down was much easier and faster than the ascent. Tip: Wear sunblock as there is very little to no shade on the trail. We used the All Trails app which logged a total distance of 5.9 miles, 1,759 feet of elevation gain, and a total time of 3 hours and 8 minutes.

Second time hiking this trail. It never gets old! Gorgeous views all the way up. Challenging, but great for a novice that wants some fun. One of my all time favorites.

False Summit after False Summit, but each one more incredible than the last... don’t stop until you see the end of trail sign and the ridge comes to a point. Park there and gather yourself, fuel up a bit, and sit on the ledge with your legs dangling above the drop off into both Sabino and Bear Canyons... Breathtaking both in beauty and exertion.

Great hike Salsa Dave

It's very steep in the second half, but you will be rewarded by a great view at the top. I was hope to see some wild flower in this trail, but there are few in early March.

Great hike. Definitely deserving of its “Hard” difficulty rating. Make sure to get an early start it took me about 3 hours round-trip and coming back down the trail in the afternoon sun is a killer. Beware of false summits. Continue along the trail until you reach the final trail sign designating the end of Blackett’s Ridge. Talked to a couple in the parking lot afterward who turned back around after the second false summit. It’s worth the climb!

Great hike, used trail running shoes, had no problems.

It took 57 min from Visitor Center to the top with my max speed. Incredible view from the narrpw ridge.

Great views

Great hike. 6 false summits. The best view of Thimble Peak. The climbs are on south facing slopes. So best to do this hike early morning. There is very little shade. We saw three chipmunks as we ate our lunch at the end of the trail and we did not feed them.

Nice trail, nice hike, good workout. First mile is flat & partly on a road, but that goes by pretty quickly. Once you get to Phone Line Trail you start going up, & when you get to Blackett’s Ridge Trail you go up up. I did this in late January, & the heat was tolerable; it must be brutal in summer.

Great hike!! Views are unbelievable!!

Great trail, took 1h5min to the top, no breaks. Cool morning was perfect for climbing. Surely go again!

I started a bit late in the day so most of the return was with headlamp. I'm a bit older and the knee joints don't like going down on the switch backs. needless to say it took more time down than it did going up. I felt really old when some trail runners I met at the top were running it again when I was coming down. 2 men and a lady. Yep impressive in the stamina they had. I loved the hike and the views were incredible!! Take lots of water. I had 2.5 ltrs and used it all. I went in January and was glad for the cool temp. definitely doing it again. Happy trails!!!

Blacketts Ridge my favorite hike!

Good workout, strenuous climbing and great view at the top.

Good workout. Just know that most of the elevation is in the last 1.5 miles. Also, there are 2-3 false summits so just keep going until you see the sign "End of Blackett's Trial". FINALLY, AND MAYBE MOST IMPORTANT! LADIES, WHEN YOU "POP A SQUAT" PLEASE, PLEASE CARRY YOUR TISSUE OUT. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE IT. WHY WOULD YOU DO SOMETHING SO DISGUSTING? JUST PUT A BAGGIE IN YOUR BACKPACK AND TOSS IT WHEN YOU GET HOME! PLEASE TAKE CARE OF NATURE!

One of my favorite trails

Beautiful views no matter how far you go. It took me 3 tries to get to the top because of how demanding it was. The first big climb is the worst and make all the other inclines seem like nothing. I went in January and started at 7:30am and it took me 3 hours to finish. Weather was beautiful. Highly recommend

Hard yet rewarding hike make sure to drink plenty of water when I was done with this height my legs for in knots because I think I just didn't consume enough fluids

Awesome hike! Please don't feed the chipmunks, folks - they're super cute, but it can be detrimental to their health and their ability to fend for themselves in the long run!

This was my very first trail when started hiking back in march and decided to make it my last hike of the year, I never hiked before until I met Someone from out of state. (local friends are pretty lazy) I got hooked and was left hanging and decided to keep doing it alone and am glad I continued, I've done so many trails now and all amazing in their own different way. Seen all kinds of critters, plants, rocks and made a couple friends on the trails. Never thought I would be hiking 217 miles from march till today. I have to say i feel amazing and it has made me realize and see all the beauty arizona has to offer and I was missing out . I have to thank that one person that came into my life for that one only reason, HIKiNG!!! Happy New Year to everyone, and keep on hiking, I know I will and can't wait for it!!