Black Rock Loop Trail

Black Rock Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Black Rock Trail is a 1.3 mile loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year round. Black Rock Trail consists of two loops. Black Rock short loop is an easy .5 mile barrier free, wheelchair accessible trail. Black Rock long loop is a moderate 1.3 mile trail. Black Rock Trail long loop also connects to Waterfall Trail.

Beautiful hike! We loved it. Mostly flat terrain but some hills to climb that my 6 and 8 year old boys enjoyed.

This trail was easy and enjoyable. For a workout, though, I went and hiked a second and third trail. There are a lot of smaller trails in the White Tanks, which allows you to visit a few each time.

easy loop, nice rock art. Flat, easy for kids

excellent for seeing petroglyphs, recommend taking the guided trek to access more glyphs. Not a difficult trail and connects to waterfall trail which only has water sporadically.

Did this with friends as a Ranger guided Moonlight walk. Great program, large turnout and very easy trail.

very interesting easy walking lots of Wildlife

Perfect for elderly or handicap!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Lots of poppy wildflowers when we went a few weeks ago

Friday, November 25, 2016

Nice, easy trail with beautiful scenery and some mule deer! Hiked it today and it is moderately to highly trafficked. It connect to the last part of waterfall trail as well. You can also get another .5 miles in by doing the short loop trail as well

Saturday, November 05, 2016

My family and I just moved here from Washington state and are very used to the Pacific Northwest terrain for hiking, so desert hiking is a new experience for us. We decided to go on a great night hike for the family and read this trail was easy and family-friendly. We were well prepared with headlamps, water, snacks first aid, GPS and packs. Right as we entered the trailhead before you make your first left onto the trail (near the first '?' Sign) about 30 feet ahead of me in my headlamp I saw a cougar pass in front of me across the trail. I saw the shine of the eyes, the eye shape and color, the distance between the eyes the color and shape of the head and height as well as well as body silhouette and smooth slinky movement. I am positive it was a cougar. Being from a very dense and forested area of Washington state, I am familiar with cougars. Initially hesitant after the sighting (to take my son on the hike) we went back to our car anticipating heading home. At the parking lot we ran into a young couple who were also looking to hike the same trail and agreed to accompany us forming a larger group for safety. As far as the trail goes, it's very, very easy and great at night. We saw a tarantula, lots of bugs, beetles, mice and some kind of large animal droppings. I did report the cougar sighting to the local Arizona game and Fish Department. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and would return but next time with caution if night hiking.

Monday, August 15, 2016

This isn't really a hike, more of a nice nature walk but it's pretty and easy for the whole family.

Monday, April 11, 2016

nice easy trail I can take all my kids on. Also like the option to hit the Waterfall trail.

Friday, April 01, 2016

Nice easy hike with dogs

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Another easy one. More of a nature walk than a hike. We combined it with the waterfall trail. Check out the other trails.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Boring

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

super easy and flat trail

Sunday, April 19, 2015

nice short walk.

Monday, February 02, 2015

It's a short trail...but I like it. Done it a few times...

Saturday, September 07, 2013

this is the trail that started it all. I was 5 when I first hiked this trail and today I ran the trail. Not to steep of inclines but good all around. I think I completed the 1.3 miles in 24 mins.. wish it would have been faster..

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Nice easy trail for just about anyone looking for a nice nature walk.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Nice, easy, well maintained loop. Tends to be rather busy. Open to hikers only but dogs are allowed on a leash. Some petroglyphs can be found along the trail.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

This is an easy flat trail. There are some interesting cacti "forests" and rock formations to look at.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

I do these hikes with my kid. I had my two year old in her umbrella stroller. It was really rocky so I had to carry her (and the stroller) at times, so it was slow going. All in all I liked it.
The short loop is handicap accessable so if you're looking for easy stroller access you should try that one instead.
This trail was still family friendly. A 6 year could have done it with a few rests. It's a lot more private than the waterfall trail, which you still have access to on the long loop. There were nice veiws across the valley, and since the trail was so quiet we saw more wildlife. There's two spots to see petroglyphs. And though rocky, it wasn't very hilly.
A nice afternoon hike with the daughter.

recorded walk