Black Rock Loop Trail

Black Rock Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Black Rock Trail is a 1.3 mile loop trail located near Waddell, Arizona and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year round. Black Rock Trail consists of two loops. Black Rock short loop is an easy .5 mile barrier free, wheelchair accessible trail. Black Rock long loop is a moderate 1.3 mile trail. Black Rock Trail long loop also connects to Waterfall Trail.

Lots of poppy wildflowers when we went a few weeks ago

Nice, easy trail with beautiful scenery and some mule deer! Hiked it today and it is moderately to highly trafficked. It connect to the last part of waterfall trail as well. You can also get another .5 miles in by doing the short loop trail as well

My family and I just moved here from Washington state and are very used to the Pacific Northwest terrain for hiking, so desert hiking is a new experience for us. We decided to go on a great night hike for the family and read this trail was easy and family-friendly. We were well prepared with headlamps, water, snacks first aid, GPS and packs. Right as we entered the trailhead before you make your first left onto the trail (near the first '?' Sign) about 30 feet ahead of me in my headlamp I saw a cougar pass in front of me across the trail. I saw the shine of the eyes, the eye shape and color, the distance between the eyes the color and shape of the head and height as well as well as body silhouette and smooth slinky movement. I am positive it was a cougar. Being from a very dense and forested area of Washington state, I am familiar with cougars. Initially hesitant after the sighting (to take my son on the hike) we went back to our car anticipating heading home. At the parking lot we ran into a young couple who were also looking to hike the same trail and agreed to accompany us forming a larger group for safety. As far as the trail goes, it's very, very easy and great at night. We saw a tarantula, lots of bugs, beetles, mice and some kind of large animal droppings. I did report the cougar sighting to the local Arizona game and Fish Department. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and would return but next time with caution if night hiking.

This isn't really a hike, more of a nice nature walk but it's pretty and easy for the whole family.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016

nice easy trail I can take all my kids on. Also like the option to hit the Waterfall trail.

Friday, April 01, 2016

Nice easy hike with dogs

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Another easy one. More of a nature walk than a hike. We combined it with the waterfall trail. Check out the other trails.

Monday, February 22, 2016