Black Mountain Trail

Black Mountain Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,194 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Serious trail not for tourist

Not a trail for tourist, not a trail for kids. Serious hill if you’re into hiking!

Was a pretty easy hike. Def steep, and being from Colorado I went off trail and scrambled a bit... lol not on purpose, just not used to marked trails and I went straight instead of zig zagged a couple times. Took me 34 min to the top from my car, and about 15 min down... I jogged a bit down due to it being so steep, just seemed easier, but have to be super careful as the trail has loose rock and jagged rock sticking up. I did stub my toe on the way down. I want to find another one like this a bit longer.

8-9-19 Awesome Sunrise Hike on this intense and rewarding workout to the Summit! Welcomed with our Magnificent American Flag secured on the Peak, with a solar light, U.S. Marker and Dedication Plaque. Rating of Hard is on point as it’s a steady incline all the way up on a rocky primitive trail. No Water or Restrooms very limited parking, no fees. It’s a Fun Workout...took less than 2 hours, Enjoy!

So this is not a starter trail. I was duly warned by all of the reviews but due to other hikes I have been on recently I thought I would be fine. The walk up to the trailhead is a hike by itself. I had water in tow but it was not enough so by time 6:30am hit I had some kind hikers give me some water. Even after the refills it wasn’t enough. The hike has some parts where I wasn’t sure which was the best way to go up. After eventually getting to the top I would definitely say it was worth it! Coming down took almost as long because of the shale and making sure my steps were strong. I did slip a couple of times and had to go down backward to make sure I didn’t fall. Hiking boots would have helped for sure my running shoes just didn’t cut it. Again there were some nice hikers that were encouraging to this Hoosier.

Steep and uncrowded. Anyone remember the old trail before the condos were built?

Hard trail though short. Great views at the top. Not that this one is bad, it is not, there are just better trails in the area to choose from. I won't do it again.

I love this trail! Takes me about an hour and 15 mins round trip. Temps usually run about 5-8 degrees cooler than the hikes in Phoenix, makes a huge difference in the summer!

perfect fast workout, great views

beautiful evening hike with teens. shaded by hill. steep enough for a challenge. yet short enough not to take your whole evening. great for calves.

I would not do this one again. Not as fun as Camelback and rather boring. took an 1hour and change but we stopped several times just to make this time longer. Nothing I'd ever do again and not hard but more careful stepping required.

Nice steep hike that takes about an hour to complete round trip at a good pace. Definitely steep and rocky. Look out for snakes. Not much traffic at sunrise.

A great trail to find out if you are ready for something even more challenging. The trail is steep and is very rocky with lots of shale standing upright. It will test your ankle strength and endurence. It is always in the sun so bring your water. The trail really starts a 1/2 mile down a road where you have to park. A great trail to try with kids for something more challenging but still fairly safe. No services as a park but there are lots in the town where it starts.

Great morning hike that’s close to town & quick

Loved this hike. Little shorter than Camelback with 10% of the people. Great views, awesome workout, easy to follow trail.

recorded Black Mountain Trail

BM with A&E on Memorial Day....70 degrees!!!!

recorded Black Mountain Trail

Hiking with Abigail. 66 degrees at finish!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep I did it a 11mins coming down not so bad. Athletic and proud

I hiked this with my wife, and 7/9 yr old. I had heard this is similar to camelback but not as much traffic. I thought this hike was much easier and not really comparable. I felt that camelback was much tougher with the boulder climbing. The thing that made this hike tough was all the sharp, jagged rocks. Coming off a recent ankle sprain, I wasn’t very excited about this aspect. Love the American flag at the top though.