Black Canyon Trail: Rock Springs to W Care Free Highway

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(128)
Black Canyon City, Arizona

Black Canyon Trail: Rock Springs to W Care Free Highway is a 30.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Black Canyon City, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 30.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,657 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

Black Trail North From Rock Springs

one of the most beautiful hikes to go on during spring in Arizona. There’s so many beautiful flowers, the water was nice to swim in, and the views along the trail are incredible. Very dog and kid friendly!

Long, beautiful hike. No major ups and downs.

Did most of this as part of blackcanyon 100k (up to ~25 miles on this track). Fine but a little repetitive. Not big ups or downs, fairly easy to naviguate and not very technical (ran part of it at night with ease)

ohv/off road driving

I did this run on my back from black canyon city ohv. it was about 2 hours and the beginning was easy. middle was rough and rocky. I have a polaris ranger lifted 4 in on 29 rzr wheels. 6 jeeps made it in front of me. good loop trail for black canyon just fuel up again in black canyon obviously.

Awesome and easy trail. My six year old and puppy did it in no time. River is flowing and a nice place to cool off. Great spot at the river to have lunch! Bring some food for a nice picnic. For sure we’ll be back.

nice hike. loved the cactus and views

This trail is well marked! If you’re heading to crown king then I think you can cross the wash! With all the rain it’s really flowing, we turned around and went back the same way we came vs following the river up to the next trail! Got rained on but man it was worth it and it’s always one of my favorite hikes out of the city.

Our 4 day Sedona, flagstaff, page, lake Powell, Utah road-trip!

Sat Mar 30 2019

I had hiked on the south portion on this trail, but my first time from the trailhead in Rock Springs. I would rate difficulty as easy-to-moderate. Gentle inclines and declines take you down to the banks of the Agua Fria River, which is a about 1 1/2 miles from the trailhead. Beautiful views as you approach the river. The river was 2 - 3 feet deep so no way was I going wade across it to hike with soaked shoes. Maybe later in the summer it will dry up and be easier to cross.

Mon Feb 11 2019

I have ridden every leg of this trail. From New River road to Rock Springs. From Rock springs to Bumblebee. Bumblebee to Spring Valley trailhead. From Spring Valley to Orme Road And the newest part from Orme road to Highway 169. The most northern leg is not well marked but the rest of the trail is perfect!

Mon Jan 28 2019

If it were farther off the highway at Rock Springs it would be a 5.

Wed Jan 23 2019

We hiked just to the Agua Fria River. Beautiful scenery. No shade till the river. My 9 year old granddaughter kept up with us. Next time I’ll venture passed the river.

Sat Nov 03 2018

Nice clean trail. Pretty scenic. Only hiked a little past the river. Not a lot of shade. Enjoyed lunch at Rock Springs afterwards which was a nice reward.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Only had time to hike to river but unbelievably beautiful. Just awesome

Sun Aug 19 2018

BCT actually continues past Black Canyon City up to Mayer. Great single track and lots of solitude. Popular with mountain bikers.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Amazing trail with beautiful scenery. Lots of desert flowers in season.

Fri May 04 2018

I love this trail. Very scenic.

Fri Mar 23 2018

Hiked 6.8 miles from the Rock Springs trail head. The flora in the horseshoe canyon is lush, for a desert. Fun to cross the Agua Fría and have a post hike slice of pie at the Rock Springs Cafe

Tue Apr 25 2017

Love this hike! I'm 9 months pregnant so I didn't go to far but I plan on doing it all after baby!! Can't wait!

Fri Mar 31 2017

Hiked these trail yesterday,lots of beautiful wildflowers.

Sat Mar 25 2017

Great trail to spend two days and a night on. Well marked for the first 3.5 miles, after that it get a little tricky.

Wed Feb 08 2017

love this hike!

Mon Jan 16 2017

Gorgeous trail hike. Veer left at the first fork for a gorgeous hike to a hidden valley. Depending on season there is a nice sandy beach great for skipping rocks from. Note: Looks like spring and early summer the water level can get fairly high.