Black Canyon Trail

Black Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cottonwood, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1975 feet

Did this hike for the first time Easter Sunday, did not see anyone for a total of 8 miles. It is a well established trail, you can't get lost, very scenic the farther you go. It is very gradual in elevation, would not consider it difficult, maybe moderate but more because of distant. You have to drive 2 miles on a good dirt road to get to the small dirt parking lot. I would recommend this hike, we enjoyed it. Something a little different than desert hiking in Phoenix Valley.

Beautiful hike, even in December. Not too popular, so very comfortable and peaceful. The majority of this hike takes place on the 114, which is pretty well maintained for a rugged trail. The last mile is a detour into Black Crack Canyon. Wildly overgrown, looks more like a game trail than anything. Personally had some hiccups for that detour, but the views were gorgeous. Would love to see the canyon flowing when the Verde Valley gets more rain, but I would also advise against going when it is warm enough for reptiles. As I said before, the path is extremely overgrown, it's more like bush-whacking than anything, so I wouldn't be surprised to run into some snakes. But all in all, it was a fun hike and great exercise for me and my pups.

Not a bad hike but nothing special. The views are mostly of the Verde valley where only towards the last mile and half do you cut into the canyon. Not a lot of shade so better for a cooler day. The decent elevation change was good exercise for me and my dog. No water however in the canyon when we went.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Nice trail with good views that gets better as you go along. Wish I could have gone further up the canyon but I didn't have the time. Watch out for rattlesnakes. I ran into one that gave me plenty warning as I approached.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

Many waterfalls reward the adventurer

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Only went in 2 miles due to time constraints. It was steep in some places, so good exercise, but pretty boring. Excellent view of the Verde Valley, though. Not much else to love about this trail unless there's something awesome further up. Good trail for solitude. I didn't see anyone else there.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

My favourite trail in the Verde Valley without a doubt. The trail starts off at low valley desert and winds its way through Black Canyon turning into Juniper brushland and finally into Pine forest. The trail is pretty bushy at parts and I highly suggest wearing long pants, if you plan on doing this trail in the summer, as with all trails, bring lots of water!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017