Black Canyon Trail

Black Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cottonwood, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not a bad hike but nothing special. The views are mostly of the Verde valley where only towards the last mile and half do you cut into the canyon. Not a lot of shade so better for a cooler day. The decent elevation change was good exercise for me and my dog. No water however in the canyon when we went.

Nice trail with good views that gets better as you go along. Wish I could have gone further up the canyon but I didn't have the time. Watch out for rattlesnakes. I ran into one that gave me plenty warning as I approached.

Many waterfalls reward the adventurer

Only went in 2 miles due to time constraints. It was steep in some places, so good exercise, but pretty boring. Excellent view of the Verde Valley, though. Not much else to love about this trail unless there's something awesome further up. Good trail for solitude. I didn't see anyone else there.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Saturday, March 05, 2016

My favourite trail in the Verde Valley without a doubt. The trail starts off at low valley desert and winds its way through Black Canyon turning into Juniper brushland and finally into Pine forest. The trail is pretty bushy at parts and I highly suggest wearing long pants, if you plan on doing this trail in the summer, as with all trails, bring lots of water!

Saturday, January 10, 2015