Bittersweet, Camaro, and Sunset Pass Trails Loop

Bittersweet, Camaro, and Sunset Pass Trails Loop is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 252 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is in the Robles Pass section of the Tucson Mountain Park. This area allows dogs.

Approach on Coyote Ridge Trail as Colle Don Monte doesn't really get you to the trailhead. Once you park, look for the pair of benches and break in the fence for the start of the trailhead, which is a bit inconspicuous. Nice hike, though maybe more time with a highway nearby or overlooking the city than we'd prefer. That said, the views over the city were nice ones, especially with rare snow-capped mountains behind the city. Lovely desert landscape though, and the views away from the city were gorgeous. A few moments of turning a corner and being wowed by a new vista before us. Also, a crested saguaro on the trail. (See my photos for location).

I keep seeing Tucson Mountain Park trails listed as ok for dogs on leash. I was stopped by a ranger last year and told they are not permitted anywhere in TMP except campgrounds. Everything I've found online repeats that. Am I missing something?

Nice hike with dogs in the Tucson Mountain Park. We added the 360 View Trail for some nice vistas!

I can’t believe 57 people gave this trail a 4-5 star rating! Half of the hike is butted up against Irvington road...so I guess the “beautiful views” are the houses and the cars??? The only reason I can see anyone recommending this trail Is if you live down ajo or close by and you maybe want to do a little trail running. THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF BETTER TRAILS IN TUCSON!!! If I want to hike somewhere just to see views of the city, I’ll walk up tummamoc or A mountain!!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TRAIL.

I don't mind the sights and sounds of the nearby city. Beautiful views that change a lot through the course of the hike. Lots of saguaro including young saguaro. Great views of downtown Tucson.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Too easy. Could see the toad and cars from the trail. Prefer trails where I don’t see any houses or cars. Won’t be doing this one again.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Beautiful, well marked, can see a crested Saguaro.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Friday, December 01, 2017

I enjoyed this hike! The trail is both well-marked and well-maintained. The trailhead is hidden a bit, but once you find it (look for the break in the fence), you’re good to go. Views are gorgeous! Watch for the crested cactus.

Friday, November 17, 2017

The Bittersweet Trail is an entrance to a complicated (but well signed) network of trails, or an out-and-back. It’s lovely though you can see streets & bear city noises much of the route.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Awesome hike in early morning. Good one to do if you haven't be out for a while.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Lovely morning hike. The best route is to go counterclockwise. Keep bearing left and it is hard to wrong. Trail changes name a couple of times but left is the way to go. Look for the crested saguaro next to the trail on the inward leg.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

The hike was an easy one person wide trail. I dealt with zero traffic on the hike so that was nice. I didn't think that the signs were very well marked which ended up cutting my loop short by about a mile. I ran the trail with my dog who surprisingly didn't catch any cactus. Watch your shins for cacti and use your AllTrails app to guide you and you should be in for a good hike.

Friday, March 10, 2017

I liked the trail a lot, but the signage stinks and I think is confusing.

Monday, January 30, 2017

We had a good time. It was an easy walk. I actually didn't think it was well marked. I'd have ended up on the wrong trail without my AllTrails app guiding me. We thought we saw a puma and a coyote but after visiting the Sonoran desert museum, realized it was probably just coati.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Nice trail, easy hike.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Fun easier trail. Nice work out.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Well marked and kid friendly.

Thursday, May 24, 2018