Bill Williams Mountain Trail

Bill Williams Mountain Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Williams: Go west from the downtown on Bill Williams Avenue about one mile; turn left at Clover Hill and proceed along the frontage road to the turnoff to Williams Ranger District office. Follow the signs to the trailhead.

What a beautiful hike through the woods. So peaceful, and then beautiful views at the top. I clocked this at more like 9.5 miles, with the last bit to the lookout (go up the tower if it’s open). An unexpectedly wonderful hike - did this on a whim as I headed back to Phoenix.

This hike was more beautiful than I imagined. I started early (Sept 5) to avoid getting rained out due to monsoon season. I would rate this hike as moderate not difficult or hard due to the somewhat short length. Perfect lung-buster hike due to elevation and the gain. I loved this hike and would do it again if I lived here!

This trail is definitely hard. The trail steadily gains elevation but the last mile is where a lot of it comes from. The trail is 3 miles to the junction with lookout trail. The lookout trail is another 3/4 mile. Round trip is about 7.5 miles.

Great hike , wish I would have stopped when I got to the road . It’s sad to see all the cell phone towers at the top . Had a great day !!!

Beautiful hike that ends on a service road for the radio towers. Climbed up the lookout tower for fantastic views. Millions of ladybugs clumped in the bushes! Easy access and well marked with plastic diamonds nailed to the trees. I’ve never seen so many downed trees. One 3-foot diameter tree completely snapped off. Glad we weren’t there on that day!

It is beautiful

Sunday, October 01, 2017

I thought this was an overall great hike. It was challenging enough and I enjoyed the scenery on the way up. The trail was easy to follow and well marked. It was also great for my 20 lb dog.

Cons: when you get to the top...the views are limited and there are buildings and electrical towers that kill the nature vibe.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous. Lush green forest the entire way, which improved after mile marker 1 and even more after mile marker 2, becoming more dense and beautiful. Apparently early fall is the best time to go. Stunning views from the top, even better from the lookout tower. Numerous butterflies and lizards, patchy wildflowers. Weather was perfect. Mild-moderate difficulty, with 5-15% grades interspersed with frequent leveling off. Exceptionally well-maintained trail, with numerous trail markers. The town of Williams is a great place to go after, with some really good restaurants and bars.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Great hike. Would have been better in the early fall or spring. Starts out rough levels out, then finishes you off on the last mile. Well worth the views though. Great training for Humphrey's or GC hikes.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Wonderful day hike! Definitely a good workout. Starts out with a decent uphill climb then flattens out. But once you hit that two mile marker, be prepared! Definitely worth it once you get to the top. Would do it again!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Lovely trail. I would call this slightly moderate. But it's short and nice to hike on a weekend afternoon. Beautiful after the rain since there are so many different types of mushrooms. Thus my nickname "the mushroom trail"

Sunday, August 07, 2016

beautiful trail

Monday, July 25, 2016

Could be that my plans changed and I ended up hiking this one. It was only difficult because of the high stone steps in the first part the rest of the trail was a slow climb but really not much to see or much to sniff for the dogs. Kinda boring trail. I'd say if your training it's perfect, if you're out looking for a nice hike skip this one.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Hike was difficult. 3 miles from Ranger Station to the trail junction, then another 3/4 mile to look out. Enjoyed the hike, beautiful wooded views.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

This trail (as others say on here) is a little more challenging than I anticipated. I started from the Ranger Station in Williams mid-March. The first 2 miles are pretty low grade inclines. I was hiking about 20-30 mins per mile with a day pack, trekking poles, and my dog. Once I hit Mile Marker 2 (which I'm not sure where the mile markers originate from), I hit snow and the terrain changed drastically! hahaa! There were also a lot of down trees and the snow got as high as 1.5 ft! I slipped a lot, and my shoes got stuck in the snow. It took me maybe 2-2.5 hours for those last two miles. Once you reach the top of that last stretch of the trail, you cross a service road (which I didn't see the trail marker) so you can either reach the lookout tower through the service road, or the trail across the service road. I was happy I made it, and I think it's good I didn't read or quite comprehend how steep the incline would change, I may have turned around! Good hike though. Only thing, lots of towers.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great Hike! Would consider it a strenuous hike, primarily uphill. Great terrain change the entire way.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

I was there today - not the most beautiful trail I've been on, but it's a nice hike, easy to follow, steep in parts, and slippery in parts this time of year. I want to correct the above information. The trail is accessible year-round, EXCEPT for a couple of months in the summer when it is closed due to fire risk. If you're planning to go in early-mid summer, check with the ranger station first to see if it's open: 928-635-5600. It is primarily used for hiking, but horses are also allowed. In a couple of places I had to watch my step!

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Hiked this in the dead of winter where there was a ton of snow on the ground...but it was a blast!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Bill Williams trail is a bit of a fooler. Starts out easy to moderate but changes gear from half way between MP1 and MP2 to the summit. Exceeds 15% grade in places and exceeds 13% for that 2 1/2 miles. Went out on a limb and said demanding rather than moderate. Having said that, we enjoyed this hike mostly due to the contrast between the typical dry dusty Arizona and the almost jungle like change where the monsoons made themselves felt. Color everywhere! 3 hours up,6 hours round trip with a lengthy lunch and benchmarking at the summit. Not much of a view from the top, yet another antenna farm hence the 3 stars. A few people going up as we were coming down. Not a bad hike, great trail in spots but I think it would be a secondary destination. Logged 7.96 miles rt on the GPSr.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Love this trail, beautiful especially during monsoon time. We prefer to mountain bike this trail which takes from a typical uphill walk to a strenuous bike climb up with super fun technical down. We like coming up on the east side of the mountain than downhill to the ranger station. Great views from this peak.

recorded kaibob national forest