For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Bill Williams Mountain Trail [CLOSED] is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.2 mi Elevation gain 2,345 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

NOTE: As of 6/23/2020, this trail is closed due to extreme fire danger. Please check here for updates: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaibab/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=11666&actid=50

Arizona Office of Tourism, 2702 N. 3rd St., Suite 4015 , Phoenix, AZ, 85004, Phone: 888-520-3434, Fax: 602-240-5432, mfioritt@pni.com

Directions from Williams: Go west from the downtown on Bill Williams Avenue about one mile; turn left at Clover Hill and proceed along the frontage road to the turnoff to Williams Ranger District office. Follow the signs to the trailhead.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (100)
Photos (41)
Recordings (59)
Completed (158)
Whitney H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
HikingClosed

Closed due to extreme high fire danger. Parking lot completely blocked off and trailhead completely blocked with caution tape. Sign posted June 13, 2020 stating closure would remain in effect until the area receives enough rain for fire risk to decrease.

Brett Carr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
HikingClosed

Closed due to fire danger as of June 13th. Trailhead completely taped/blocked off. Check Kaibab National Forest website for updates before trying to hike.

Maddy Root
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
Hiking

Almost a perfect trail. Some downed trees to climb over. I either lost the trail when it crossed the last road or the trail just turns into a dirt road for the last half mile or so. Either way, the last bit and the top are a bit anticlimactic. Still a super great trail and some nice views on the way up!

Alex Bracamonte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Alex's Recording
Cosmicharlie1 Heynow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

I started @ 7am on 5/9 when it was nice and cool. It was t-shirt weather by mile 2. The only negative thing were the +12 fallen trees across the trail. No snow to speak of or cross. There was a guy in the Lookout Tower who was coughing his ass off. He either had the covid or some harsh dank bud haha! My 6th and fastest time up. Not counting 3 brief rest breaks (5 to 8 minutes each) I made it from the Trailhead to the Lookout in 1:26:39.

Andrew Rashkow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Overall beautiful. Different climate zones. Ponderosa pines and scrub oak at bottom and mid and upper forests. A few things tend to make my review a bit negative. You hear the highway for at least a mile up the trail. When you reach the summit it is industrial. All microwave towers and electrical equipment. Also there is a road at the top and you can hear trucks or atvs from the trail as you approach. I used a Garmin gps and it was 8.2 miles round trip from the parking lot. Worth the hike to beat the lowland heat. The distances reported by all trails seems to be off or my satellite device is wrong.

Kelly Winston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
Hiking

Only made it just past mile marker 2 but still beautiful.... hopefully will do the whole thing someday ;)

View Kelly's Recording
Rob Cunningham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2020
HikingIcySnow

This trail was seriously awesome. The first 1/2 mile you climb a lot of elevation quickly, but then it sort of coasts and climbs gradually for the next 2 miles. The final 1/2 mile is pure snow. Please wear proper footwear. My friend and I were hiking in sandals because we had been in Sedona and Cottonwood all weekend, and the final 1/2 mile is almost 1000 feet of elevation. The snow can get up to your knees if your foot goes all the way through. We unfortunately had to turn around, and were so close to finishing. Lesson learned though! Overall great trail, had a lot of fun on it.

Mark Hicks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 26, 2020
HikingSnow

This trail is probably easier in the summer! We made it to the top, but were trekking through snow the last 1000ft of elevation gain. The snow is up to your knees at some points, and it’s not for the faint of heart. If you get the opportunity to reach the summit, the views are absolutely worth it. We hiked this on April 25th for those that are curious. Also, bring a change of socks and shoes to change into when you complete this round trip hike!

Nathan Fillmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2020
HikingSnow

I loved it - remote and beautiful - cool with a nice stream and snow - more as you climb I made it halfway. Nice steepness reminded me of Ut

View Nathan's Recording
Jessi Gore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailSnow

Epic hike! Not hard to stay on the trail (besides near the top and the snow storm was a bit out of control), the green diamonds were easy to follow. It was quiet and peaceful, I didn't see anyone else on the trail. Exhausting for sure. About 2 miles in you hit some patches of snow and then just a little further after that and you are in snow almost the rest of the way. It is mostly packed down, but when my foot sunk in a few times it went past my knee so that way crazy. The view at the top was interesting. A snow storm had already started so I didn't see much, but the whole thing was still beautiful. The building and "look out point" were interesting, I felt like I stumbled upon one of the other's stations from Lost. Heading back down was what I imagine skiing to be like since I just slid on the snow most of the way while more dip and dots fell from the sky. It was a great way to spend my day and I would do this hike again in any season. I am also glad I downloaded the map because I didn't realize that the last part of the "trail" was just following an actual dirt road before turning back and doing the whole thing backwards.

View Jessi's Recording
dave stott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
Hiking

Hiked on Oct 12; amazing fall colors all along the trail.

Glen Draeger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2019
Hiking

Hiked on October 12th. Thoroughly enjoyed the hike up and back. Did not enjoy the top as much as I had hoped simply because of all the antennas, cell phone towers, etc. Kind of killed the ambiance. But the fall colors were great.

Susan Davies
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2019
Hiking

very nice...tiny strenuous because of the altitude gain but reasonably so! very peaceful, not a soul in site

Traci Bray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2019
Hiking

Love the trail head parking area with pit toilet. Trail was nicely varied with gradual climb and tough switchbacks. Trees were magnificent! We started early to finish before the heat of the day. Ranger was in the look out to answer questions. The road walk at the top was actually sort of nice--gave us a chance to not watch our footing as much and breath easier. Lots of sticks, rocks, and loose soil so watch footing on the way down. My husband and I both slid cartoon-like a few times. Surprised that some hikers going up after us had very little water and simple athletic shoes. Oh, well. Hope they made it up and down okay. Great hike! Would absolutely do again!

Rusty Akers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2019
Hiking

Was all set to climb Humphreys and the fire hit. This did not disappoint. Don't let the 1st half mile concern you. It's a gentle grade up until the last mile. Went on a Monday, only saw 4 people. Quiet, peaceful, and enough millage to make it worth the trip. I clocked it at just over 8 miles round trip. A beautiful hike.

David Proulx
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2019
Hiking

Gorgeous hike that isn't too difficult, despite the elevation gain. All pretty well maintained trail the whole way up. Great views and a really beautiful forrest.

Chris Hawks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2019
HikingSnow

Great hike, couldn’t quite get to top, snow still pretty heavy. Had a great time with my sons!!

View Chris's Recording
Karen Bindara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 2, 2019

The Lookout tower is by the cell towers. So don't quit when you hit the road. We just hiked this trail on April 1st, 2019. The first half was quite lovely, very doable. Then the snow. If the ranger hadn't already done this hike and another couple of in front of us, we would not have done it. After the first mile and a half we hit snow. Very deep snow. The trail is up, up, up. Beautiful though. Worth it. My pedometer read 6.2 miles in because I could only take 8 inch steps! Very challenging. Coming down was tricky, as gravity was pulling and the snow was softening. All in all, great hike. 3 hours up, 1.5 hours out. I would like to hike this when there is no snow.

Normajean Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 23, 2018

Super beautiful, peaceful, nice views from the top. I’d definitely rate this one moderate rather than hard; there is some nice elevation gain but none of the terrain is in any way difficult. I’d definitely hike this again.

A LR
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2018
Hiking

What a beautiful hike through the woods. So peaceful, and then beautiful views at the top. I clocked this at more like 9.5 miles, with the last bit to the lookout (go up the tower if it’s open). An unexpectedly wonderful hike - did this on a whim as I headed back to Phoenix.

Tifney Bertram
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2018
Hiking

This hike was more beautiful than I imagined. I started early (Sept 5) to avoid getting rained out due to monsoon season. I would rate this hike as moderate not difficult or hard due to the somewhat short length. Perfect lung-buster hike due to elevation and the gain. I loved this hike and would do it again if I lived here!

John McCartney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2018

This trail is definitely hard. The trail steadily gains elevation but the last mile is where a lot of it comes from. The trail is 3 miles to the junction with lookout trail. The lookout trail is another 3/4 mile. Round trip is about 7.5 miles.

Margaret Trueba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2018

Great hike , wish I would have stopped when I got to the road . It’s sad to see all the cell phone towers at the top . Had a great day !!!

Jim Olson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful hike that ends on a service road for the radio towers. Climbed up the lookout tower for fantastic views. Millions of ladybugs clumped in the bushes! Easy access and well marked with plastic diamonds nailed to the trees. I’ve never seen so many downed trees. One 3-foot diameter tree completely snapped off. Glad we weren’t there on that day!

Cary Heath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2018

It is beautiful