Big Maggie May OHV Trail

Big Maggie May OHV Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,141 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

Note: There are 2 or 3 sharp turns which makes visibility difficult. Stock SUV is more than capable (take it easy of course). There are some trails that lead off the main trail (did not venture). There is enough open area at the end to make great camp site. There are also two narrow, tippy ledges. This is a difficult part. You can't turn around at this point and when you get to WP4 you have to come back and cross them again!!! Observe your obstacle and think a minute before you take them on! Overall a medium trail with a few rocky hills and the two ledges.You will be amazed with the variety of scenic views and terrain. Rock crawlers come for the scenery. It will not be a challenge, although you will get your chances to play!

off road driving

Great views, beautiful scenery and just enough technical wheeling to keep me interested but not stress me out too much! Went to both the cabin and the mine shaft at WP4. As others have commented, some parts between WP3 and WP4 can get a little interesting but with the right vehicle and proper lines they can be done. The trail continues beyond WP4 but, sadly, at a certain point the trail is completely washed out on the side of the hill. So much so that it is not passable in a vehicle. Regardless, a good place to check out and stretch your legs a bit!

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

This was a perfect fit for a late morning start for a couple of us jeep gals. We didn't go to the cabin we choose to go towards the mine, testing our skills :) I have a stock LJ with 33's and her's is a JK with 33's also, but she has a 2-3" lift if I remember right. Both vehicles had no problems at all. Great scenery also. I would go back just to be able to go down and check out the cabin.

Monday, January 29, 2018

This was a fun shorter trail with two options. Staying left and going to the cabin was fairly easy. Going right to the mine is NO JOKE. If you're in a jeep it wouldn't be bad, but a longer vehicle is difficult to manage the tippy shelf corners that are washing out a bit. I would not try the mine trail in a stock SUV or road motorcycles (long story). Also, from waypoint 3 to 4 there are sections that you have to commit to and not much for turnarounds or two way traffic. Coming back was a bit harder than going from WP3 to WP4.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Great trail, reasonable vehicle should have no problem. We tried a side trail and ran into a very difficult side-hill switchback. Would have given it a try if we weren’t solo. Had to back out 100 yards and do a difficult turn around. Note on map.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Definitely a fun one. There were a few spots that I wouldn't have been able to do without my Jeep (with the Jeep, easy).

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Moderate trail. 2 or 3 sharp turns which makes visibility difficult. Stock SUV is more than capable (take it easy of course). There are some trails that lead off the main trail (did not venture). There is enough open area at the end to make great camp site.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

did this trail about 3 years ago and I agree the sharp turn switchbacks are no joke. you need to articulate well here. it's very narrow and dues get your adrenaline going for sure. over all great trail, seeing the old cabin remains at end is cool too.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

I had an epic adventure going from I-17 and Bloody Basin Rd., to Sheep Bridge for camping, Big Maggie May trail, seven springs, and eventually through Carefree. Regarding the Maggie May trail, I followed the gps coordinates provided by "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails" Just before waypoint 4 there are two narrow, tippy ledges. Do not take my words lightly, this part was scary as shit in my Tundra. I mention this because maybe something with a smaller footprint would have a different view. You can't turn around at this point and when you get to WP4 you have to come back and cross them again!!! Observe your obstacle and think a minute before you take them on! Overall an easy/medium trail with a few rocky hills and the two ledges. If you do the same journey I mentioned in this review you will be amazed with the variety of scenic views and terrain. Rock crawlers come for the scenery. It will not be a challenge, although you will get your chances to play! Awesome experience! -Stephen

Monday, August 25, 2014

A fun and nice long trail that goes on for miles! There are a couple wash water areas, which were fun going through. Was hoping for more water and or muddy areas, especially with the amount of rain our last monsoon produced. Overall, four out of five. The temperature from the city was 102 and on this Big Maggie May trail, it dropped down to 79 degrees!

Monday, January 21, 2013

This is the first trail I drove on when I first purchased my FJ. This trail leads to others and when on it, watch out for idiots who think it's ok to set up a shooting target across the trail which you are driving on.

Sunday, July 16, 2017