Benham National Recreation Trail

Benham National Recreation Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Directions from Williams: Turn south on Fourth Street (County Road 73) and go about 3.5 miles to FR 140 and turn right; proceed about 0.3 mile to the trailhead.

My first time doing this trail today so I’m not sure how it normally is. But there was a blanket of snow covering a decent amount of the trail. As a previous review said the views at the top are pretty obstructed by buildings and towers but awesome views the last couple miles of the hike.
Took my dog and I about 3 hours and 10 minutes in total walking pretty quickly.
Definitely worth doing just be prepared

Rocky trail, but the view on the top is great. dogs can use these trail.

Great run. About 9 miles to the lookout and back on a good single track with only a few steep sections. It's fairly moderate on the way up and cruiser on the way down. Beautiful scenery and no one on the trail on xmas day.

The towers at the top and the fact that the trail crosses the road up in several spots does detract a star.

Great trail.

This is a great hike! Only saw a few other hikers. It does run along side an ATV road which can be noisy at times and you will also cross it few times. I got 7.5 miles on my GPS. We decided to hike up to the Bill Williams Lookout tower which made it a 10 mile out and back.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Beautiful trail and the wildlife made it even better. I wish I would have recorded the trail because it is definitely more than 400 and some feet of elevation gain...

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Trail was in good shape. Comfort station at the trailhead was very clean. Evidence of recent horse activity on the trail going down. My only gripe (and it has nothing to do with the trail itself) was an inconsiderate young couple had been walking with their PitBull mix of a dog and it was running loose. It did charge up to me; but, I saw it coming and was prepared for it. It only takes one person to ruin it for the rest of us pet owners.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This trail was lovely. I was trying to find Bill Williams and just went around in circles because I didn't have this app. And before you start laughing, which I would do also, I want to let you know i haven't been hiking alone in Arizona before and have not worked out since last summer when I lived in Tahoe. So anyhow, I parked the car and kept going. Now, I went past the 3.8 mile marker and went all the way to the antennas and satellite dishes. The views are breathtaking. You can literally see the south rim from the top. Amazing. I also ran about 20% uphill and 80% downhill because I started this at 5pm and didn't want to end up there all alone after darkness. Totally recommend. The soreness can attest to how much I enjoyed this trail.

Saturday, July 11, 2015