Benham National Recreation Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(42)
Kaibab National Forest

Benham National Recreation Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Williams: Turn south on Fourth Street (County Road 73) and go about 3.5 miles to FR 140 and turn right; proceed about 0.3 mile to the trailhead.

nice tail, gradual switchbacks. the logging made the beginning mile a but ugly hence the -stars

Enjoyed this hike. The directions to the trail are spot on. The trail is well marked. Easy on the bottom, but at about mile 3 you will notice the change. The trail grade gets steeper. The only thing making this trail moderate (my opinion) is that the elevation makes it harder for those of us not use to it. Views are wonderful. The trail at the top closes in so I would wear pants on this hike.

Went to the top of Bill Williams. Good hike, 9miles to the top and back. does cross some gravel roads and the first mile is currently being logged so a lot of knocked over trees but path is clear

High winds kept us from going to the top. About 4 hour R/T, 1750' gain to our stopping point at 8900'. First 1.5-2 miles is fairly flat, then it climbs out nicely. Some recent trail clearing made this all passable sans one downed tree. Only one car on the dirt road, no one else on the trail on a Sunday. Nice views with fall colors starting near the top.

nice trail. a bit narrow in places. shaded by tree cannopy on sections of trail.

Mon Jun 03 2019

I love this trail it's an intermediate on the downhill. The 2nd and 3rd segments closer to the top have a lot of trees down in the trail so be careful

Sat May 18 2019

l

Wed Sep 05 2018

The first 1/2 mike was wonderful. Loved the forest. Unfortunately the trail went close to the road several times with 3 different actual road crossing. All we could here for most of the hike were side by sides on the road. Very frustrating. When we finally got to the summit we found several radio towers. So much for nature. Disappointed is to easy a word for how we felt. Did it once. That was enough.

Sun Aug 19 2018

This is a long trail. If it wasnt so long I would say the hike over all was pretty easy. It is 5 miles to the top. You cross a few dirt roads. When you get to the top it is very scenic. I am glad I did this trail but I am only doing it once.

Sat Mar 10 2018

My first time doing this trail today so I’m not sure how it normally is. But there was a blanket of snow covering a decent amount of the trail. As a previous review said the views at the top are pretty obstructed by buildings and towers but awesome views the last couple miles of the hike. Took my dog and I about 3 hours and 10 minutes in total walking pretty quickly. Definitely worth doing just be prepared

Sat Jan 20 2018

Rocky trail, but the view on the top is great. dogs can use these trail.

Tue Dec 26 2017

Great run. About 9 miles to the lookout and back on a good single track with only a few steep sections. It's fairly moderate on the way up and cruiser on the way down. Beautiful scenery and no one on the trail on xmas day. The towers at the top and the fact that the trail crosses the road up in several spots does detract a star.

Sun Nov 12 2017

Great trail.

Tue Sep 05 2017

This is a great hike! Only saw a few other hikers. It does run along side an ATV road which can be noisy at times and you will also cross it few times. I got 7.5 miles on my GPS. We decided to hike up to the Bill Williams Lookout tower which made it a 10 mile out and back.

Wed Sep 07 2016

Beautiful trail and the wildlife made it even better. I wish I would have recorded the trail because it is definitely more than 400 and some feet of elevation gain...

Thu Jul 07 2016

Trail was in good shape. Comfort station at the trailhead was very clean. Evidence of recent horse activity on the trail going down. My only gripe (and it has nothing to do with the trail itself) was an inconsiderate young couple had been walking with their PitBull mix of a dog and it was running loose. It did charge up to me; but, I saw it coming and was prepared for it. It only takes one person to ruin it for the rest of us pet owners.

Sun May 29 2016

This trail was lovely. I was trying to find Bill Williams and just went around in circles because I didn't have this app. And before you start laughing, which I would do also, I want to let you know i haven't been hiking alone in Arizona before and have not worked out since last summer when I lived in Tahoe. So anyhow, I parked the car and kept going. Now, I went past the 3.8 mile marker and went all the way to the antennas and satellite dishes. The views are breathtaking. You can literally see the south rim from the top. Amazing. I also ran about 20% uphill and 80% downhill because I started this at 5pm and didn't want to end up there all alone after darkness. Totally recommend. The soreness can attest to how much I enjoyed this trail.

Sat Jul 11 2015