Bell Trail

Bell Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rimrock, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 40 miles south on Interstate 17. Leave the interstate at the AZ 179 interchange. Turn east under the highway and drive about 1.5 miles east to the Beaver Creek Ranger Station turnoff. Turn north about a quarter mile to the parking lot and trailhead.

The hike was nice. I would rate 3.5 stars. We began at 845am and there was one other car in the lot. The weather was overcast and mid-80s. The clouds were critical as everyone in this thread is right - very little shade and if the sun is out, it'll be beating down on you. The first half of the hike is not that great, pretty simple flat trail. The second half gets much better with some elevation change and beautiful views. The swimming hole around the 3.5-mile mark was also excellent and refreshing. We had the place to ourselves. On our trek back out we passed many people and the lot was nearly full. Get there early on a weekday (if possible) to beat the crowds.

We really enjoyed this hike although it turned out to be 15.5 miles round trip to reach the crack. Most of the hike is flat and out in the hot sun. You follow the creek the entire time and only reach it at the end. Beautiful hike, I don’t think we will repeat it anytime soon.

This was a moderately hard trail for us, mainly due to the distance and the heat! Gorgeous views, and the water was amazing! Cold but it feels super refreshing after the 3.5 mile trek. My husband and I both brought a camel pack and an additional hydro flask so we had enough water for us and our dog... warming if you are bringing a dog. It’s pretty hot for them. There is an area where the trail is black... if burned our dogs feet and we had to carry her on the way back. She has been on several hikes before, and has tough feet... so beware of that part. The rest of the trail isn’t too hot on the ground but that crumbled black rock was no good!

Great hike. Awesome ending. Steady moderately easy hike.

Decent hike, great swimming hole! Not bad if you hike regularly but we saw a few people that had issues with the heat, water, and didn’t get all the way back to the water. Swim shoes would be a good suggestion but not required. I did not use any. Don’t forget to reapply sun screen before you leave!!! Lol

Great hike but very hot! Some shade depending on time of day, but worth every minute once you jump into that water. Wow so much fun.

This was one of my favorites when I still lived in AZ! It's been a long time, but I loved coming out here to do some cliff jumping and cool off from some of that AZ heat. Definitely a fun area, make sure you bring PLENTY + some extra water.

Fantastic hike that I would rate as moderate. Did see a Bull Snake on the way but it have us no trouble. Spent a few hours at "The Crack" for some frigid swimming, cliff jumping and lunch!

We hiked this trail at the end of April, but realized the weather would have been better a few weeks earlier. The ‘crack’ is at the end of the trail. An awesome swimming hole/cliff jumping spot! Highly recommend.

Dope

If you have children 10 and younger I would advise stopping at the first checkpoint and turning right back around. It is mostly flat until about the last mile, but it is a long hike and not much shade or places to really stop and sit. Take plenty of water and snacks. It is not to hard and there is an incline at the end that gets more challenging but please wear comfortable shoes. Just know it takes some time to do the whole thing. It took me 3.5 hours with 3 short breaks for water and a snack. The longest break might have been 5 mins and I was walking at a moderate pace.

Kinda a free for all climb as you get near the peak (no real trail markings), a bit more treacherous than I was expecting, but 100% well worth it once you reach the top

great trail

Great as always!

Long but worth the views! The senery gets better the further you go. I would definatly do again.

it was a beautiful hike involving trees, red rocks and a river

Loved it.

This is an awesome trail everyone should do. Easy and great spot at the end.

Beautiful! I found it an easy hike, one kids would be able to do. The water hole at the end is worth the effort. Can’t wait to return in the spring time.

beautiful!

The hike is good, but I think a snowfall would definitely make the scenery more picturesque.

Verrrrry busy this time of year. And please pack lots of water! At least 60 ounces per person! We saw lots of people exhausted and dehydrated on the trail. A paramedic team even had to rescue a few people. There is almost no shade and the final mile or so is moderate, while the rest is mostly flat.

Great hike!! Very little shade for the first 2 miles or so, so bring a hat and LOTS of water. I suggest starting early because The Crack gets super busy pretty quick. Bring a pool floatie to blow up because there is a great place to float if you don't want to jump off the rocks or lay on them. Clouds rolled in around 3 and shaded the whole trail back. Amazing hike with a great pay off at the end and beautiful scenery!

Great hike to beat the heat!

Week days are probably better. It was a little crowded with a party scene at the end of the trail.

One of my favorites!

This is a great trail. The Crack is great but upstream and downstream from there are lots of beautiful secluded areas to enjoy. It is 3.5 miles to the crack so be sure to bring plenty of water. I hiked with my son and we ran a little low but made it back to the car. I would recommend this trail to everyone.

Best cold water in the hot summer time. Easy hike.

This is one of my favorites. I usually do this trail 4-5 times throughout summer. It's getting more and more popular and the forest service has eliminated creek side camping due to high traffic and garbage. You can still camp 1/4 mile from the water just desolate when you get out of the canyon.