Beardsley Trail

Beardsley Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Peoria, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

This trail is a little gem in the Northwest Valley. We took about 4 hours to complete it and rested at the lake for a while before heading back. We only saw a few people along the way. It also connects with the Maricopa County Trail system.

Hiked the full trail out/back this morning (Saturday) with a friend and our dogs. I am not an “experienced hiker” (I only hike once a week) but I thought this trail was easy... We started at about 9:00am (around 60*) and got back to the car at 2:30pm (around 75*). We took frequent rest/water breaks and played in the lake for a while before making our way back. The trail was lightly trafficked - we only saw 2-3 couples/families biking and no other hikers. The trail is well maintained but there is a bunch of broken glass at the trailhead. Also a surprising amount of horse/dog feces. There is little to no shade so wear sunscreen!

Started at 2:45pm and made it back to my car at 7:00pm. Rested before making the 'out' trek and sat to watch the sunset before finishing the last mile. Saw multiple mountain bikers and I was the only hiker. The rolling hills as mentioned below kept it interesting. Saw 2 coyotes, burros, cottontails and a hawk. There is a tiny stream at the beginning that had minnows as well.

This is a great hike to use when working on your backpacking skills. The distance is perfect and you work with a rolling-hills grade. Would do again!!

Saturday, April 01, 2017