Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,975 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Red Rocks Pass for $5 needed; kiosk located at trail head parking lot. 360 degree views at top are unforgettable. Bring a wind breaker to layer up with since it could get windy and cold at summit. There is a deceptive false summit beforehand after which you do descend into a small saddle. Wasn’t difficult to climb back up this thing coming back. Wear shoes with good traction! It’s a rugged trail and some sections are on pure rock at an almost vertical drop.

fee

This trail was no joke! Lots of false summits and very strenuous. That said, totally worth every step. Priceless views and surroundings. Got on the trail before 7am and it was good timing. By the time we started making our way back, it started getting really hot. Bring lots of water and sunscreen, lots of exposure on this hike.

Tough hike, start early as it gets hot when you are climbing up. It wasn't too hard, but would definitely recommend being in decent shape before attempting, or be ready to take your time. the views from the top are well worth the effort.

Very exciting trail to be on. Don’t be deceived, this trail will make you work for those beautiful views.

Hiked on 5/10. Started at 11:30am. The whole trail is very exposed, so bring appropriate water, hat/sunscreen, etc. The trail doesn't look too exciting from the trailhead, but it keeps getting better and better. There's a little bit of scrambling to get up over the mountain you see from the trailhead. After that, the rest of the trail to the 'END' sign were some of the most beautiful views around! It's a 5-ish mile out and back trail. This one wasn't on my radar to hike during this trip, but we hiked it due to other trails being closed. I'm so happy we did. This is a great trail! Excellent views!! 5 big stars!

We started at 8:30 AM which was already too late. Lots of rocky stairs and no shade so bring water! Personally I thought the views of Fay Canyon along the last segment of the trail were a lot nicer than the views up top.

Incredible views all along the way. Be sure to bring plenty of water and start earlier than you think to beat the heat. We got on trail at 6am and wished we had started an hour earlier in our descent. This one is tough but well worth the effort at the end. Knew about the false summits coming into it and they still got me. Not very many people on trail and had the summit to ourselves for about 30 minutes while we snacked. The way down is steep and at times I was wondering how we even made it up haha. Best views in Sedona. A must.

Gorgeous

My wife and I decided to do this mainly due to the excellent reviews from previous hikers. This was our first hike in the Sedona and WOW, this hike did not disappoint. The reward in views countered with the effort involved was well worth it. Temps at the beginning were in the upper 60's also had a nice breeze to help. Be careful to pay attention to the trail blazes/arrows along the way, it would be easy to pick the wrong way. I can't say enough about the views. I was more concerned with my footing since I was looking up and around most of the time. Be sure to take plenty of water and some snacks. The view at the top will certainly make you smile....careful on the way down!!

fee

Really awesome trail! Definitely not one to hike during peak hours though. I had to turn around at about 3/5 of the way up because I was getting close to running out of water (I had 2L on me). Trailhead parking is open as of 5/7/20. Trail isn’t too hard to follow as long as you look for the white spray paint. The views I saw were incredible. Would definitely recommend.

Best view hike in Sedona! Well worth the effort, you won't be disappointed!

My favorite hike in Sedona! The views are incredible the whole way up so definitely take the time to soak it in. The hike took about 4 hours with lots of breaks and time spent sitting at the summit. Bring plenty of water, there is barely any shade on this hike.

Awesome trail with gorgeous views. Great time of year to go with wildflowers in bloom and a breeze to cool you down. Bring a lot of water as it is mostly uphill with not much shade. The summit is worth it!!

this hike is hard! It's mainly a constant uphill hike and there is very little shade. Make sure you bring enough water!!! It was a beautiful hike with amazing views though. It took about 4 hours to complete.

Start early we started at 8:15 but would have been better an hour earlier. The flowers were so beautiful and fragrant. Four steep climbs. The views are amazing the entire time! Took us 4 hours 15 minutes. With rear stops and snack at the top. Highly recommend great workout. Trail is easy to follow if you follow white paint marks