Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1994 feet

From the "Y" roundabout (the intersection of Highway 179 and Highway 89A), drive west on Highway 89A about 3 miles. Turn right on Dry Creek Road. Stay on Dry Creek Road about 3 miles to the end and a stop sign. Turn left on Boynton Pass Road and proceed about 1 1/2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left, continuing on Boynton Pass Road. The trailhead is the second trailhead on the left side, about 1 3/4 miles from the stop sign. The trailhead is across the road from the parking area

38 minutes ago

Awesome hike! It took us 4 hours roundtrip, including 30 minutes enjoying the view from the top. The white painted arrows were very helpful as there are several points along the trail you could get a little off course without them.

loved this hike! The views were constantly changing and the hike was challenging, but still a great time. would suggest to anyone looking to hike on top of the mountains and see some great 360 views!

What a beautiful hike that is! Hard! But with a good paste and enjoying the view,it’s rewarding

No wonder they named this Bear. This has been the hardest hike I have done yet in Sedona. For me, it wasn't really that enjoyable, honestly. The bragging rights are probably the best thing about completing the Bear Mountain hike LOL. It took 4 hours and 40 minutes, stopping only a few times to rest for 5 minutes. I do not recommend this in the summer, as it is exposed with very little shade. Also bring 2 or 3 L of water if you do it in the summer, you will think you are going to die. if I attempt this hike again it certainly will not be in this summer, lesson learned.

That said, the views are nice, it is not crowded whatsoever due to the difficulty, it is a lot of scrambling up and over rocks, an intense cardio and strength workout. In fact, Bear makes leg day at the gym look like a cakewalk. My quads were in agony the following two days after this hike (and I work out regularly). See my pics of this trail.

This is NOT a hard tail - moderate maybe. There is a significant gain, but the trail is short. We completed it in 2:15 including a break at the top. Anyhow, it was a nice hike to complement our day. If you only have time for one hike, I wouldn't suggest this one. If you feel that such elevation gain is tireing, do another one. Because the view is nice, but there are plenty of hikes around Sedona that are easier and have more varied views. This one you have the view to the right which is nice as you go up, and finally the summit.

Still, if you look for an extra 2-3hours of hiking, that's great.

Really great hike with amazing views along the way and up at the top. It took us all day with all the stops and picture taking... about 5 hours in and out. Bring water and snacks, especially oranges! Don’t forget to bring your trash out!

great hike, incredible views from start to finish.

Gorgeous views! A challenging hike and a great workout. Take in all the scenery! Stunning!

Solid hike with vast views at the summit. A few scrambles on the way but nothing technical (could make for a fun trail run). If you are quick and pressed for time, you could do it in 2 hours or so but I'd allow 3.5-5; it would be a hard trail to follow in the dark.

First Sedona hike so I have nothing to compare it to but definitely worth it. 1.5L of water on a cool day.

My all time favorite Sedona hike.

I was solo on this hike and was on a mission to get it done quickly. It took like 2:15 hours round trip, although 4-5 hours seemed to be the more typical pace. Make sure that you bring lots of water, at least 2 liters per person if not 3.

A nice hike that provides more challenge for the area and is well marked with white markers along the entire route.

well marked with white arrows on rocks. best to go earlier in the day. Took about 1 hour 45 minutes each way at moderate pace. 1.5 liters of water.

Great hike! Elevation gain begins early, and has several steep passages. Views are spectacular! Great photo opportunities! A challenging hike for inexperienced hikers, but not for experienced hikers.

This hike was great! First off.. I did this trail with my best friend from Florida who is not use to hiking. She rated the trail as hard. On a scale of 1 to 5 she said about a 4. However, I live in Phoenix and frequently hike squaw peak and camelback mountain. I did not find the trail to be extremely difficult. In fact I would say for experienced trail
Runners it would be a great, technical trail. I believe the path is well marked with white arrows. It took us approximately 3 hours to complete the entire trail and I recorded 4.6 miles on my garmin. We had about 1.5 liters of water each.

Great hike. Make sure to bring plenty of water and follow the white arrows to stay on the trail.

Outstanding. Bring lots of water. (2L)

I agree and disagree with parts of the reviews. Agree that you need a lot of water, I ran out just as I was finishing with 3.5 liters. I also agree that it was so hard and not for anyone who is not experienced. I disagree that it wasn’t well marked - and this almost deterred me because I hiked it alone.

It was such an amazing workout, beautiful views and I’d highly suggest. I saw 7 people the entire time, which I love

Awesome hike with breathtaking views! Watch the weather and don't go when it's really hot because it's a lot of climbing and sweating. Love this hike!

Did this hike as it was rated one of the top in Sedona. Pretty hike, but definitely think there are many better hikes in Sedona.