Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the "Y" roundabout (the intersection of Highway 179 and Highway 89A), drive west on Highway 89A about 3 miles. Turn right on Dry Creek Road. Stay on Dry Creek Road about 3 miles to the end and a stop sign. Turn left on Boynton Pass Road and proceed about 1 1/2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left, continuing on Boynton Pass Road. The trailhead is the second trailhead on the left side, about 1 3/4 miles from the stop sign. The trailhead is across the road from the parking area

Long hike, started later in the day. Had to hurry, and still got back after the sun had set. Luckily we camped near by. We thought we reached the summit several times, but eventually made it to the top. Gorgeous views of Sedona and an exciting hike in general.

Well we did the hike thinking it would only take 4.6 miles and that definitely wasn't the case. We had some local Sedonians tell us it's actually 7 miles in and out. The extra 2.4 miles really makes a difference because you feel like you're dying at 2.3 and think you're nearly to the summit and you're not so THIS HIKE IS SEVEN TOTAL MILES. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THIS. It was a great hike just be prepared to go further than you think because of the false summits and inaccurate mileage.

Amazing hikes with some of the best views I have seen of Sedona. However, the hike is much longer than 4.6 miles round trip! Closer to 7 to 7.5 miles. Worth it though.

Did this back in April. Such a gorgeous hike. Make sure you pay for parking! Cross the road and start the trail. Straightforward to the top, does have some difficult areas. Bring water folks! 3L was fine but I started around 5:15-5:30 to avoid the heat as much as possible. Pretty secluded, I didn't pass by anyone until the last 1.5 mile back. Had a little difficulty finding the trail at the beginning of leaving the summit, pay attention. Well worth it!

VERY difficult. But very pretty. We went July 1st, 2017 at 7am, coming from phoenix. It was cool and in the low 70's at the start, nearing the upper 80's by the time we finished at 11am. We finished the whole hike in exactly 4 hours, including a 45 minute picnic at the top. Took us 1:45 to get up, 1:30 to get down. I would have liked to not go so fast on the way down though, but my boyfriend had to poop. My ankles hurt a lot from trying to go so fast and slipping, and I wore running shoes which was stupid. Not very shaded, though the first 45 minutes were somewhat shaded with how the sun was hitting the mountains. We went to buy the red rock pass for our car in the parking lot, and the machine in the lot displayed a screen saying "free parking, happy holidays", which was nice. Trail is across the street and over a small fence looking barrier, that you can just step over. We drank 8 Kroger water bottles between the two of us, and ate a sandwich and an entire bag of potato chips (that salt is necessary!). We were very hungry when we got to the top, despite eating a decent breakfast. Many false peaks. Way more remote than I was expecting, you hardly see other hikers. Trail is pretty well marked with white diamond arrows on the rocks, some are harder to spot than others but we had no issues. This hike was even hard for my boyfriend, a 22 year old who spend last summer hiking 12+ miles a day hiking the mountains in Boulder Colorado collecting water samples of the lakes for research at the University of Colorado, Boulder. I would definitely not bring my 50 year old parents or anyone who is remotely not enthused to hike this.

Possibly the best views of Sedona and the surrounding area. Multiple false summits make for a tough push towards the top. Great trail.

Beautiful hike! Be warned though I got CHIGGERS last week from this hike. It was really wet that morning.

Great views and a great workout

Challenging hike that rewards you with expansive views and peaceful solitude. Bring lots of water! Really enjoyed the low usage of the trail and found the markers to be very obvious and easy to follow.

Challenging hike, keep going until the "end of trail" sign at the end. There are 3 or 4 false peaks. Took 2 hours up, 2 hours back. Worth every minute.