Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The majority of this trail is stair-steps. Great leg workout! When you think you're at the top, with the incredible views, keep going!

Woah buddy, this hike is grueling, but utterly beautiful. Started at 8:00 due to some traffic on the way in from Phoenix (recommend starting earlier if possible as it gets HOT; very little shade on the second half), ended at 12:35 (took breaks for snacks and to catch our breath a few times). So many great views, difficult but fun. 6500 total altitude.

great hike, great views, good weather all made for a great nap upon returning home.

This was a great hike! I didn't have any issues getting to the peak following the white trail markers but definitely veered off course twice coming down the mountain and did a little bit of extra unnecessary scrambling. I would suggest following the trail markers more closely when heading down the trail. It was an awesome hike though! Highly recommended!

Great hike with some of the best, high elevation views in the area. We took out lime and made it in 4 hours. There's very little flat on this hike so be prepared for a lot of up and down as well as several "fake" summits.

Attempted this today and sadly I had to turn back about 2/3 of the way up. The hike was more challenging to me psychologically, not physically, as I am extremely scared of heights! There are several areas of scrambling and places where I felt the edge of the trail was a little too close for comfort. Definitely a HARD rating from me. It's now a goal of mine to continue working on my phobia and come back to conquer this hike.

Completed Bear Mountain trail today, recommended to us by Mike from Hike House, thanks Mike. Fantastic views all the way and well worth the effort

Best hike in Sedona. Incredible views and not crowded. You must hike this if you're here

Great scenic hike!

I'm relatively young and in decent shape and this took me 2.5 hours RT so not that tough imo. Granted I was alone and so I could set my own pace and go fast. Going down was tricky, take care to avoid slipping on sandy rocks. I don't have hiking poles but did come to think that they'd have been helpful here. Note that the Bear MT trailhead is across the street from the parking lot.

Such an amazing time on this mountain!! There is definitely a false summit, so be prepared to go further than you actually think. Took us about 4-5 hours to complete. Because it was snowing, much of the trail for the second half to the peak was covered and we had to guess where the trail would be. We had a lot of fun though and there were many beautiful overlooks and waterfalls!

Having previously hiked Pikes Peak and multiple surrounding areas as well as trails in Estes Park in Colorado, I found this to be a difficult trail. It is stair steps much of the way. The painted arrows were very helpful in staying on trail but beware the cairns that are NOT part of the trail. We got off trail a couple times but the stunning views were worth it. We did not make it all the way up due to packed ice on the trail near the top. Many others turned around as well (late January hike).
The views were stunning with snow caps, red rock, spires, arches, and deep canyons. Foot traffic was moderate and included dogs, very young and older hikers, as well as Runners.
I would definitely do this trail again but make no mistake, it was not easy. Of note, it was interesting to see the tour helicopters flying WAY below you.

strenuous but worth it! Couldn't get up the last .2 because there was too much snow and couldn't find the trail, but was still beautiful despite cloudy weather. will be back in warmer weather to hike the whole thing!