Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the "Y" roundabout (the intersection of Highway 179 and Highway 89A), drive west on Highway 89A about 3 miles. Turn right on Dry Creek Road. Stay on Dry Creek Road about 3 miles to the end and a stop sign. Turn left on Boynton Pass Road and proceed about 1 1/2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left, continuing on Boynton Pass Road. The trailhead is the second trailhead on the left side, about 1 3/4 miles from the stop sign. The trailhead is across the road from the parking area

Climbed Bear Mountain and, I have to say, its the best of the Sedona hikes I've encountered. I got to the TH at 5:30am and finished the hike in 3.5 hours. I only saw 4 other people on the trail on the way down, so basically had the trail to myself. Unreal experience at the top - remarkable views. While rugged at times, the trail is extremely well marked and I never lost it throughout the hike.

Did Bear Mountain and successfully reached the "End of the Trail" sign. Definitely a hike that earns your respect, and one that made me feel like a Gladiator when I reached the true peak. So for all of you that have said the trail was poorly marked, I have to tell you, I strongly disagree. Once you see what the trail markers look like, some faded as they are, they really are there. If you find yourself thinking you are off trail, as we did a few times, we just went back a few paces to the last marker we saw and looked around, and within 30 seconds we were always back on track. Yes, it is a little tricky, but without those markers we would have never reached the top. Met a few different groups of hikers on their way down that said they couldn't find it. Go be a Gladiator and find that sign!

Fun hike! Park in parking lot then cross road to get to trailhead. Reached top in 1 hour 50 min then chilled for a while. Reached the bottom in 3 hour 50 minute. Trail is obvious and some rock scrambling! Very cool.

Very steep hike with great views. Definitely a workout. There will be a 'end of the trail' sign when you reach the top. Bring 3-4 Liters of water and wear sunscreen. Start early if hiking in hot weather. We saw someone running this trail in 95F+ weather!

Great views, but I only made it about half way up; I lost the trail and didn't have time to get lost so I got back down. Will try this hike again next time I'm in Sedona. I uploaded a picture of some hot air balloons in the area, between Bear and Doe Mountains.

Beautiful views the entire way. Steep and rugged in spots. Definitely a good workout!

Very difficult on the way there (2.5 miles up hill) but the view from the peek is amazing. You can see Mt San Francisco in the distance and the way back is all down hill!

My absolute favorite hike. While being pretty vertical, it still blends the feel of many different hikes into one. It's one of the more private hikes due to the difficulty, so that's also a big plus. Trail is very well marked with white arrows painted on rocks. Keep pushing on until you come to the sign that tells you the hike is over. It will feel like the trail will never end so take your time and enjoy it.

The trail is challenging. There was ice and snow the day we went making it more difficult. Make sure you bring plenty of water and snacks. The climb is steep but so worth the reward at the end with a view of Mt Humphries