Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1975 feet

From the "Y" roundabout (the intersection of Highway 179 and Highway 89A), drive west on Highway 89A about 3 miles. Turn right on Dry Creek Road. Stay on Dry Creek Road about 3 miles to the end and a stop sign. Turn left on Boynton Pass Road and proceed about 1 1/2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left, continuing on Boynton Pass Road. The trailhead is the second trailhead on the left side, about 1 3/4 miles from the stop sign. The trailhead is across the road from the parking area

Extremely hard but worth it for the views. When you feel like quitting just keep going and you’ll be so happy when you see the end of trail sign!

Did not go all the way but it was extremely beautiful. Lots of climbing midway thru first part.

“Hard” Rated- Accurately! This hike is definitely some work, lots of straight up climbing and not for the casual beginner hiker. Took 2 hours to reach the top, and a little over an hour to get back to the car. There are lots of false illusions that you are “there”... just keep going. There’s about 3 false “peaks” before you reach the end. Pack lots of water and snacks for the top... all the work is worth the 360 degree views at the top. One of our favorite hikes in Sedona for sure!

If you’re considering this trail and have not experienced its greatness, I suggest you stop everything you’re doing and just go. This was one of the more magnificent places I have been in AZ (sniff sniff). Makes me think of Zion NP in Utah, similar rock formations and foliage but on a way smaller scale. Almost like west trim trail and observation point trail got together and had a red head lil baby. The only complaint was the vast amount of gnats attempting suicide by flying into my open body orifices................other than that I cannot wait to go back and explore around. Careful for the beehives on the top top of the mountain and most importantly don’t give up until you reach the peak. If there were more stars I’d give this one 7/5 because it’s so unexpectedly beautiful and the right amount of challenge.

My favorite Sedona hike! Less than 5 miles but a good incline so great workout! Unbelievable views!!! Very rocky for most of the trail so poles do come in handy. Follow the white painted arrows painted on the rocks to stay on trail. I highly recommend this hike but it may not be good for beginners.

I loved this trail so much. I started around 7:15 am, made it to the end of trail sign around 8:50. It is tough I was solo with no breaks except for pictures. Just an amazing experience. The trail is very well marked I had no issues up and down

Beautiful views, challenging but well worth it!

Favorite trail in Sedona. Had the top to myself. Not an easy climb but worth it

I’ve done a lot of hiking all over the US and I have to rank Bear Mountain in my top 10! Before beginning I assumed we were hiking to the red rock peak visible at the beginning of the trail. However in no time we were up and over that peak and on our way to a peak 3 times it’s size! We had a rewarding picnic lunch at the very top with views of the San Francisco peaks on one side and Sedona on the other!

Quite the challenge for me and my twenty one year old son. It took some grit and willpower to finish as the ascent is very rigorous and several times we mistakenly thought we were close to the top. The trail was marked well most of the way however there were a few times on the way down we had to search for paint. Views from most points on the trail were amazing and seeing the snow covered San Francisco Peaks at the end was rewarding. Recommend reading the warning sign at the beginning of the trail. Completing the entire hike is ambitious but worth it. Bring plenty of water.

I would consider this a moderate to difficult trail. Absolutely beautiful bring a lot of water.

This is my overall favorite Sedona hike, combining stunning views with pure physical endurance, technical hiking, a bit of climbing, a lot of variety in scenery and a fair amount of risk. Bear Mt has a little of everything. It is a long, hard hike with sensational views throughout and an enormous payoff if you reach the true final summit.. It requires physical fitness, experience, and some preparation. Take lots of water, some food, gloves and hat. It is too dangerous for young children, with many trail segments near sheer cliffs or along precarious rock ledges. Recommend starting early in the morning and be prepared for 4-6 rigorous hours of Sedona heaven.

My 58 year old body made it to the top! With my 57 year old hubby as my tour guide, we were successful in following the trail. Very well marked. Lots of great photo ops and the view from the top is breathtaking.

Great views throughout the entire trail. Some sections are quite steep but manageable. Feels longer than posted distance.

This hike was grueling almost to the point where it wasn’t enjoyable, and I was thoroughly exhausted by the end of it. However it is open enough that you can keep on trucking for the most part, and the view is well worth it.

Absolutely spectacular. Unbeatable views!

Great Hike, Great views some scrambling required. RT from parking to summit is closer to 6 miles.

Definitely doable. Up and down in 4 hours with 18 year old and 12 year old. Windy. Coats came on and off several times. Several false summits that give you hope you’re done when you’re not. End of trail sign at top was helpful. Beautiful scenery, especially coming down.

Tough hike but definitely doable. Fantastic views all around but the views along the way were actually better than the views from the top (in my opinion). Completed the round trip in just under 4 hours with several photo stops. There was leftover snow toward the top that had potential to be really slippery and hide loose rocks so be sure to wear good shoes if the ground is wet from rain or snow.

Pretty tough trail. I recommend bringing lots of snacks and water. Also we went in a windy day extra jackets helped. Views all the way up and down were stunning! The hike is definitely worth it

It was a great hike and has several “false summits” for first timers

I am reasonable fit and it was 2hrs up and 1.30hrs back down with a few photo stops and a quick 10 min lunch.

It’s not too difficult for regular, reasonably fit hikers.

Beautiful views.

Best day hike you can find! Great bang for your effort. Gorgeous views. I trail ran this last March. 1hour to top,50 mins down. Total time 1 hour 50 mins. Returning again this weekend with my wife, I’ve been longing to do it again.

One of my favorite hikes. A good ass kicker with some great views, plenty of great photo opportunities. We had perfect weather (despite that it was December 30th).

As others have said this hike is HARD! It took us a little over four hours with a few stops and we are experienced hikers. Bring water and don’t do anything stupid, and you will be just fine.

kick butt trail....quite the climb up..and down....lots of rock climbing took my dog he did good but hes big not for small dogs. 3 1/2 to 4 hrs.... for tough experienced hikers have fun

Great hike. If you’re an experienced hiker, this should be a breeze. Incredible views! Decently marked with white painted arrows- just keep an eye out! It’s January and the weather was perfect. Any later in the year would be hot, as you’re in the sun most of the time. Took about 4 hours at a quick pace.

What a great challenging hike! We enjoyed all the rock grappling. Well marked with white arrows. Views are awesome. It took us 5 hours total. You will definitely be sore the next day.

Got started @ 9 am and even though it was January this trail can be quite hot as it is fully exposed for its duration. This trail is all about the challenge and the views, though you have to stop to take them in as the trail does take all your concentration. It is steep and very rocky and can fool you into thinking you are almost there. Well worth the effort.