Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1994 feet

From the "Y" roundabout (the intersection of Highway 179 and Highway 89A), drive west on Highway 89A about 3 miles. Turn right on Dry Creek Road. Stay on Dry Creek Road about 3 miles to the end and a stop sign. Turn left on Boynton Pass Road and proceed about 1 1/2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left, continuing on Boynton Pass Road. The trailhead is the second trailhead on the left side, about 1 3/4 miles from the stop sign. The trailhead is across the road from the parking area

Really enjoyed this trail. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. As an experienced hiker, it was challenging and rewarding. Nothing technical that would keep inexperienced hikers from doing it, but I would agree with previous reviews that if you are inexperienced, be prepared for 5-6 hours and bring lots of water. It was about 65 degrees when we were hiking and it was warm. There is little to no shade on the trail so I would not recommend this on a hot day, and bring plenty of water. The views were absolutely worth it!

If you're inexperienced, PLEASE understand that this is a steep hike, and the winds are strong this time of year...So grippy hiking shoes/boots for sure. And make sure to bring snacks.
If you're experienced it only took me 2 &1/2 hours minus some hangout time.
But the scenery is SO worth the hamstring workout

We loved Bear! We like to hike pretty quick, took around 3.5 hours including picnic stop . $5 to park. Wear grippy hikers, the, sandstone is a bit slippery/sandy. Didn’t disappoint, a new favourite and would highly recommend it.

If you’re an INEXPERIENCED HIKER this trail will take you 4-6 hours! it will be VERY HARD. Take plenty of water and calories.

Did this yesterday. This is a hard trail, but not difficult. As an EXPERIENCED hiker/trail runner used to gaining/losing elevation, this trail is exactly what you think it would be: about 2.3 miles to the top with about 2,000ft elevation gain. You’ll be able to power up ascents and run the descents (and it’s a TON of fun). Absolutely loved the view and the technical trail.

Not an easy hike but incredibly beautiful views. We had to turn back due to snow and icy trail conditions January 2017 but returned December 2017 and was able to complete the trail in T-shirts. Well worth the effort if you are in moderate shape.

Breathtaking!! So incredible and very happy to have done this hike. The views are amazing the entire way. It's difficult, but I think a lot of people can do this because it is so short (yet it is very steep - take your time, plan well and know your limits). Bring a lot of water. Go very early or go later in the afternoon for great dusk lighting.

The hike is essentially a steep 2.2 mile climb with 3 false peeks. A definite character builder with incredible views as a reward. A must do for adventurous hikers.

This hike is one of the most difficult I’ve done and I’ve done a lot but totally worth the views.

Three different peaks. When you think you've made it to the top it keeps on going! So keep going. The END OF TRAIL View is so worth the climb. We made it in 4 hours, out and back, with some short breaks on the way up. And if you want to scramble more than the trail is offering, there are a lot of fun options right off the trail, including a small stream bed in the beginning.

wonderful hike

Solid hike! I was able to complete in about 3 1/2 hours (with 30min break on top). If you’re in for a bit of a challenge, I would suggest giving this mountain a shot.

Great hike to get your heart pumping and beautiful views from every point !

This trail definitely fit the “hard” category although it’s absolutely doable - even for those of us who are a bit overweight and out of shape! I think mostly you need to start early and be stubborn enough to keep pushing on. The views are absolutely incredible though and worth every step and climb. It took us 5.5 hours total because we are slow and I stopped to take photos constantly. Lots of people passed us and knocked it out in less time. But the trail was much less trafficked than we figured other more popular ones would be and we had a great time. Just make sure you constantly keep an eye out for the painted arrows. They are there in varying degrees of freshness but sometimes I missed them when my husband didn’t.

Nice hike with a great view (IMHO better than Brins Mesa or Soldier Pass). I would rate it 4 out of 5 on difficult level. It took me 3hr to complete but I'm confident somebody really trained could complete it in 2.5hr.
Some point are not very well marked and I got lost ended up hiking for extra 1-200ft.
it starts with a super easy trail, follow by a steep climb until you reach the first top. then it gets easy again for another half mile and then you have the final steep ascent.
Try do do it early in the morning. Not suitable for dogs or kids.

My husband and I are fairly fit and decided to hike this trail. From the parking lot, you think you see the peak youre headed for. When we got to that peak, we didnt see the sign that says ‘end of trail’. However, there is a plateau for great photos. It seems like people would stop here thinking its the end and go back down. Other reviewers mention doing this trail is 1.5-2hours which is physically impossible. Not even sprinting uphill would get you there that fast.So, we kept going and realized we were going to be hiking up another 2 peaks that werent in view from the lot. It was a pretty tough hike, but beautiful views all the way through. When we finally got to the top, we took a nap! haha It was beautiful. You feel like youre on top of the world. However, hiking back down was strenuous on our knees. Not many people were hiking this trail due to its intensity. But we feel so accomplished for completing it! We didnt really take breaks and it took us 2.5 hrs to get up there. We spent about 30 minutes at the top. The way back down took us another 2 hrs. Total 4.5 hrs hiking. Great views but be prepared, Bear mountain is a tough one!

It’s not that hard.

Really enjoyed this trail. Not too difficult, but amazing views

Great trail awesome views

Awesome hike! It took us 4 hours roundtrip, including 30 minutes enjoying the view from the top. The white painted arrows were very helpful as there are several points along the trail you could get a little off course without them.

loved this hike! The views were constantly changing and the hike was challenging, but still a great time. would suggest to anyone looking to hike on top of the mountains and see some great 360 views!