Battleship Mountain

Battleship Mountain is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from September until May.

This trail is just over 12 miles out and back all the way to the top, or 7.4 to the river and back. The terrain changes quite a few times from the beginning to the top. Wear long pants as there are a lot of dead weeds with thorns that attach to your shoes and socks. There is sometimes water along the way, but bring your own to be safe.

It was one of the hardest hiking trail I ever done and I loved it. It was a little tricky to find out how to get on top, but then just an amazing place.

It's easy to lose the trail and get too far right of the riverbed after leaving Second Water Trail for the Canyon trail. Guess the Stay Left mantra with the Sups holds true here. There is no marked trail up Battleship Mountain when you get there. Get ready to bushwhack and scramble. Epic achievement and breathtaking views.

A great challenging trail that's almost scary in a few areas (cliff like sides on the ridge like area and two areas of almost "wall" where you'll need to do a little rock climbish). Even in February, it was still hot with very little shade so bring plenty of water. I brought close to 4 litres of water and finished it completely when I completed the trail (I could have even brought more). After climbing the first "wall", soak in the Weaver's Needle view and the La Barge Box area. Do explore the area once near the summit (you'll see canyon lake once you're close to summit). Fantastic 360 views of superstitions! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I loved this hike! The trek to the river is easy and delivers amazing views. The difficulty picks up slightly due to a lack of trail maintenance, keep your eyes out for markers and follow the river. There is some rock climbing involved at some decent heights, so if you don't feel comfortable with heights this may be where you want to stop. It's a beautiful landscape with rewarding views all around. So far it's been my favorite hike so far.

This hike stars very easy but once you cross the river is very difficult to find the trial, but once you find it it becomes extremely difficult. We try to follow the map on this app, but that is incorrect. Possibly the last time I use this app.

If you follow this app map/trail you are putting your self in danger, so be careful. We did not make it all the way, we wasted too much time locating the trail, and the heat got to us, and we were running short in water even so we made the right choice to turn back. If you are doing this, plan accordingly and pack extra water & some healthy snacks.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

This hike scared my half to death. You hike down into a dry riverbed, follow that for a few miles before ascending Battleship Rock. Everything before the rock is standard, pretty easy downhill then to flat and rocky. Hiking up the mountain is terrifying. There are many points where you need to use your whole body climbing up boulders. Most of the way up has a super steep drop below, where you will most likely not survive if you fall. That was my biggest problem. I've never been so scared during a hike before. It offers great views of Weaver's Needle at the top, which make it all worthwhile. I would recommend for experienced hikers only who are not clumsy or afraid of heights!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sunday, May 19, 2013

This was a great hike and not easy. The views from the top are just amazing. From the top you can see Weavers Needle then turn around and your looking at Canyon Lake. This hike I want to do again in early spring when all the flowers are in bloom.