Basalt, Palisade, and Circumference Trail Loop

Basalt, Palisade, and Circumference Trail Loop is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 672 feet Route Type: Loop

It was a very nice hike this morning with our dog. We took the Palisade trail and some of the Circumference. The weather was mostly cloudy with some raindrops. The terrain was rough, a lot of loose gravel, dirt, but there was some loosely paved areas. It was was quite the site with pretty desert landscape views, lava rock and a variety of different cacti. I recommend this for all ages.

Echo Canyon is my absolute favorite Phoenix hike, but this is close to our house and so convenient. It's a great hour-long hike with plenty of incline to get the heart pumping, and nice scenery. Also, many good trail-running opportunities. Deem Hills confuses me at times, because there are so many trail variations available, but I'm sure I'll appreciate that, once I'm more familiar with the area. It allows for the opportunity to shorten or lengthen a hike, if desired. I suggest bringing water for sure, and maybe a snack, if you're not familiar with the area. It's difficult to get truly "lost," since the canal or some other landmark is almost always visible, but it's very easy to end up going in circles, if you have no GPS. I speak from personal experience.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018