Barnhardt Trail

Barnhardt Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,775 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Our hiking group hiked this trail on 1/11/20. FR 419 is fine, no muddy. There is ice and snow on the trail at higher level. Waterfalls is with gushing water. But going closed to waterfalls is difficult due to ice on the rock. Be careful.

icy

Just hiked today. Road in is now ok but still not very safe hiking up high with lots of snow and ice. We turned around about ¼ mile from the waterfall and that was too far. If you go in the next week take crampons.

recorded Recording - Jan 04, 01:06 PM

icy

Trail still has snow and ice at higher points. Still a great hike if you watch your step.

icy

FYI as of 12/30 the road was a mess! Extremely muddy and rocky. Need high clearance and/or 4x4 - you’ll likely damage a sedan trying to get there. Trail is either muddy, icy or snow and the falls are frozen. Very beautiful but just go prepared for the conditions (& know it’s gonna be slow moving.)

Also should mention: have 4WD/high clearance to get to the trailhead. Very bumpy road but mostly flat. Don't take a sedan on it.

This is a very long hike. I calculated this as 12.4 miles roundtrip from Barnhardt TH to AZT and back, not 10.2. Not a very hard hike but just a long one. Big Kahuna Falls is a little underwhelming. Seems as if you need significant water for it to be impressive. There's another set of falls that you can see from the trail that look amazing. A couple steep parts but not too bad. Views looking to the east are amazing.

Rocky the first 1/2 mile. Trail gets much better. Beautiful views and quiet

great hike. unique colored rocks and plant life. great views the whole way. if your goal during hikes is to get to a landmark/view, then go about a mile past the waterfall to the top of the mountain, then turn around. if you want a workout, and additional beautiful mountain views, keep going to the Y. the road has good campsites as well! 10+ miles and 2,700ft elevation is hard, not moderate.

recorded Barnhardt Trail

You’ll find several day hikers here, but few backpackers. So after the first 4 miles it thins and after 8 miles, it usually gets crazy quiet. Due to lots of snow this year, the creeks have water, but it won’t last. typically it’s bone dry except for Chilion Springs. Bring gallons. Slow and steady and this trail is fairly easy, minus a couple fairly steep short sections. One of my favorites to get away from everything.

this is a great Trail until just past the waterfall. after that it's just a Gravely hike to the junction for Y Bar.

Did this super fun trail on 4/28/2019. Great elevation gain to get some spectacular views without having to scramble. I would rate this trail as more moderate than hard—elevation gain is mostly done over steady switch backs, so it’s not terribly difficult. Trail is really easy to follow and seemed to have a fair amount of traffic for a Sunday afternoon. Went to what all trails said was 3.5 miles before turning around. I will note that my Apple Health App logged us at about 5 miles where AllTrails said 3.5—not sure which app is more reliable. The waterfall is about 2.5 miles in when looking at the AllTrails map. There was water, but a lighter trickle compared to some of the pictures I’ve seen taken in late winter/early spring. We hiked inward a bit towards the fall to get some pictures. Overall, worth the hike. There was decent shade in the afternoon, and as we reached the bottom in the evening we could hear frogs in the creek, which was cool. The trail is a bit rocky with loose rocks on the trail, but my 45lb hound mix did just fine and didn’t have any issues.

Amazing views and plenty of water flowing as of 4/21/19. I recorded the hike with AllTrails and I clocked 6.9 miles ONE WAY. Next time I will probably stop at the multi-tiered waterfall that occurs at about 3.2 miles in. The last few miles are good but not great.

Great trail! I loved listening to the waterfalls while hiking. Beautiful rock formations and views. There are some nice views a little further up the trail beyond the waterfall, but I would not recommend going much further than that. However, it is very rocky and my dogs paws got cut. He kept laying down on the return hike. I attributed his behavior to being hot and tired. We rested in the shady spots and I carried him off and on the way down to the parking lot. He's 35 pounds and gets heavy to carry. He limped out of the car when we got home. I checked his paws (If I had done that on the trail, I would have carried him the entire way back). Two have skin peeled back. His paws are very calloused and rough, so I was surprised. Too tough a trail for my dog. :(

I love this trail. I have been on it several times since I was a boy. I have backpacked and stayed out in the Matazel’s over night(s) on a few occasions. It’s is difficult, but not impossible. Worth every step. If you can, find the horse camp and the cliff dwelling. You will need to travel about 16 miles for that though :)

It os not worthy! Too last miles for northing. There is nothing at the end! With a los of rocks.

Great hike.

The scenery was awesome, lots of small waterfalls at the bottom along the way. The trail was clear cut and the grade wasn’t too steep. There’s a three or four tier waterfall about 4 miles or so into the hike, very impressive due to the snow melt still running off. After that the trail goes on for about 2.5 more miles where it meets up at a three way intersection. We clocked 6.5 miles to that point where it stopped at a marker sign. This made for a 13 mile round trip. Overall probably one of my favorites so far.

loved this trail. just did it yesterday (3/26/2019). still snow at the top (not where you hike but totally visible) so there is still some snow melt so a lot of stream crossings throughout trail! loved it. One thing i thought there was a waterfall at the end, but it was just to the meeting of another trail (which if i had simply zoomed in to app i would have seen that buuuut i didn't) no matter because the hike was amazing anyway. BUT if you are "chasing waterfalls" then the one at 4 - ish miles that is your waterfall no need to hike further. it's amazing and beautiful! the whole trail was more like an 11.2 out and back . at least that is what stava told me and its always been accurate. BUT is is technology ssssooooo who the heck knows. anyway well worth it. not sure if that waterfall drys out but it was so stinking pretty!

We have hiked this trail dozens of times in the last 35 years. Many times the falls was very weak but this year is the best.

Didn’t finish...just checked it out as well as Half Moon Trail, which needed because of swift water due to snow melt.

Have been on this trail several times. The dirt road can accommodate most vehicles. You do not need 4 Wheel Dr. unless it’s been raining heavily and it’s muddy. Great hike. Great views!