Barnhardt Trail

Barnhardt Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,775 feet Route Type: Out & Back

great hike. unique colored rocks and plant life. great views the whole way. if your goal during hikes is to get to a landmark/view, then go about a mile past the waterfall to the top of the mountain, then turn around. if you want a workout, and additional beautiful mountain views, keep going to the Y. the road has good campsites as well! 10+ miles and 2,700ft elevation is hard, not moderate.

recorded Barnhardt Trail

You’ll find several day hikers here, but few backpackers. So after the first 4 miles it thins and after 8 miles, it usually gets crazy quiet. Due to lots of snow this year, the creeks have water, but it won’t last. typically it’s bone dry except for Chilion Springs. Bring gallons. Slow and steady and this trail is fairly easy, minus a couple fairly steep short sections. One of my favorites to get away from everything.

this is a great Trail until just past the waterfall. after that it's just a Gravely hike to the junction for Y Bar.

Did this super fun trail on 4/28/2019. Great elevation gain to get some spectacular views without having to scramble. I would rate this trail as more moderate than hard—elevation gain is mostly done over steady switch backs, so it’s not terribly difficult. Trail is really easy to follow and seemed to have a fair amount of traffic for a Sunday afternoon. Went to what all trails said was 3.5 miles before turning around. I will note that my Apple Health App logged us at about 5 miles where AllTrails said 3.5—not sure which app is more reliable. The waterfall is about 2.5 miles in when looking at the AllTrails map. There was water, but a lighter trickle compared to some of the pictures I’ve seen taken in late winter/early spring. We hiked inward a bit towards the fall to get some pictures. Overall, worth the hike. There was decent shade in the afternoon, and as we reached the bottom in the evening we could hear frogs in the creek, which was cool. The trail is a bit rocky with loose rocks on the trail, but my 45lb hound mix did just fine and didn’t have any issues.

Amazing views and plenty of water flowing as of 4/21/19. I recorded the hike with AllTrails and I clocked 6.9 miles ONE WAY. Next time I will probably stop at the multi-tiered waterfall that occurs at about 3.2 miles in. The last few miles are good but not great.

Great trail! I loved listening to the waterfalls while hiking. Beautiful rock formations and views. There are some nice views a little further up the trail beyond the waterfall, but I would not recommend going much further than that. However, it is very rocky and my dogs paws got cut. He kept laying down on the return hike. I attributed his behavior to being hot and tired. We rested in the shady spots and I carried him off and on the way down to the parking lot. He's 35 pounds and gets heavy to carry. He limped out of the car when we got home. I checked his paws (If I had done that on the trail, I would have carried him the entire way back). Two have skin peeled back. His paws are very calloused and rough, so I was surprised. Too tough a trail for my dog. :(

I love this trail. I have been on it several times since I was a boy. I have backpacked and stayed out in the Matazel’s over night(s) on a few occasions. It’s is difficult, but not impossible. Worth every step. If you can, find the horse camp and the cliff dwelling. You will need to travel about 16 miles for that though :)

It os not worthy! Too last miles for northing. There is nothing at the end! With a los of rocks.

Great hike.

The scenery was awesome, lots of small waterfalls at the bottom along the way. The trail was clear cut and the grade wasn’t too steep. There’s a three or four tier waterfall about 4 miles or so into the hike, very impressive due to the snow melt still running off. After that the trail goes on for about 2.5 more miles where it meets up at a three way intersection. We clocked 6.5 miles to that point where it stopped at a marker sign. This made for a 13 mile round trip. Overall probably one of my favorites so far.

loved this trail. just did it yesterday (3/26/2019). still snow at the top (not where you hike but totally visible) so there is still some snow melt so a lot of stream crossings throughout trail! loved it. One thing i thought there was a waterfall at the end, but it was just to the meeting of another trail (which if i had simply zoomed in to app i would have seen that buuuut i didn't) no matter because the hike was amazing anyway. BUT if you are "chasing waterfalls" then the one at 4 - ish miles that is your waterfall no need to hike further. it's amazing and beautiful! the whole trail was more like an 11.2 out and back . at least that is what stava told me and its always been accurate. BUT is is technology ssssooooo who the heck knows. anyway well worth it. not sure if that waterfall drys out but it was so stinking pretty!

We have hiked this trail dozens of times in the last 35 years. Many times the falls was very weak but this year is the best.

Didn’t finish...just checked it out as well as Half Moon Trail, which needed because of swift water due to snow melt.

Have been on this trail several times. The dirt road can accommodate most vehicles. You do not need 4 Wheel Dr. unless it’s been raining heavily and it’s muddy. Great hike. Great views!

Loved the trail. Snowed the day we went up and the road to get to it was a little sketchy in the rental car but we made it up and back. Worth the drive and dirt on the car!!!!

Does anyone know if the forest road is ok for a sedan or so you need 4wheel ? Also, was there snow or you ok with hiking boots?

springs and waterfalls have abundant water

Running water, beautiful views and not too difficult. Will do it again.

We pass by the sign for this hike on our way to Pine and finally decided to give it a try.Completed it yesterday. Lots of water making for nice falls. I am placing this hike right up there with one of my favorites. Nice switchbacks at a comfortable grade.

This is a beautiful trail for the area . The views are epic and there is a wide diversity of plant life. We went in the winter after a rare snowfall in the area . The 4 mile gravel road in was a muddy bog. The trail was pretty wet but no problem and there was a lot of water running in the creek and at the waterfall. We turned around at the waterfall because we started to late in the day . Overall my favorite trail in the Tonto Basin Area.

One of my favorite trails close to Phoenix. I've hiked this every year (winter/spring) I've lived here and always really enjoyed it, though I turn around just past the waterfall (around 4 miles in). It's full of beautiful and interesting plants, rock formations and scenic views as you climb gradually uphill. I have yet to see the waterfall in full force; another reason to come back.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Tough

Sunday, August 12, 2018

So this hike I’ve been on several times growing up and definitely a hike to go on in the late winter or spring to see the waterfalls. Which in the past have seen up to three climaxing with the third in the canyon. I enjoy the difficulty especially because it keeps it relatively quiet of lazy hikers and people who leave trash behind. They seem to avoid harder trails which is great for the rest of us. Beautiful views and water keeps me coming back every year!

Saturday, July 21, 2018

This is probably a nice hike in the spring, but in mid July it was hot, brown and dry. I enjoyed the 4-mile dirt road with cattle and huge jackrabbits. Approximately 1/3rd of the hike is rocky/gravely. I encountered 2 rattlesnakes on the trail. The “waterfall” at 2.5 miles still offered small pools of water (possibly from the monsoon storm the previous day) and barely a trickle down the rock formation, which is quite scenic. Follow the creek bed upward and off the trail, just around the corner, for some really scenic, shady respite. Back on the trail after this highlight is fairly flat and monotonous. I turned around at 3.9 miles because of the heat and unchanging, flat terrain. Elevation gain was 3670 ft. My hike started at 7:40 am after an easy 90 min drive from Phoenix and took 4 hrs 15 min including a couple short breaks. I drank 3 of the 4 liters I brought. Sunscreen is a must. Wish I had had some bug spray, too. Only saw 2 other hikers. The only thing “difficult” about the hike was the elements (heat, humidity, rattlesnakes). The incline and path is moderate at best. I was surprised that the temp was about 10 degrees hotter than that in Payson.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Amazing views throughout, but a bit of an anti-climatic view at the end unless you decide to continue on the Mazatzal trail. Saw 2 bobcats, a tarantula, and several hummingbirds. Also note: this trail is not 10.2 miles like it says. We clocked 13 miles round trip. So if you do this, plan for a longer trip. First 3.3 miles were most difficult, but then it levels out. I would rate the first half of the trip as hard but the second half after the waterfall as moderate. The waterfall was dried up when we got there. Gravely at some points where you want to be careful with your footing. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail. I recommend starting early in the day before it gets too hot.