Barnhardt Trail

Barnhardt Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Payson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great hike. Waterfall area is in 3.2 miles. No water running when we were there. Constant uphill from the trailhead. Most is easy and gradual, little steeper through the switchbacks. 2 more miles and you're at the end. First 3.2 miles is a 1,700ft elevation gain. Last 2 miles is only another 400ft. Total 10.2 out and back.

Went this am left the parking lot approximately 9am and got to the saddle area around 12:00pm after stopping a few times. Coming back down we left at 12:09pm and got back at 1:21pm. Overall I felt the hike was pretty easy and most in our group of 12 enjoyed the hike as well.

This is one of my favorite hiking trails in Arizona; we do it every year. It's wonderful in fall and spring (chance of running water or even icicles!) but we turned back once in summer from the heat. A steady, beautiful climb up into the mountains. A couple of times we've gone a bit past the waterfall just for some more elevation, but scenery is not as interesting after this point.

This is one of the best hiking experiences I’ve had while living in Arizona. I don’t know why it’s listed here as difficult. My experience is that there is a gradual incline that takes you up, up to a Mesa from which you can look back into an astonishing vista, perhaps over one hundred miles. I would estimate it’s three miles in and three miles back, though I’ve met people on the trail who have hiked much further, some back packers and even a deer hunter. One time we encountered a couple who were walking their alpacas, and we got to pet them. The Mesa is a place where you can sit or lie down and just relax and enjoy your accomplishment of such a simple activity as walking and note how beautiful the world can be. The one thing you should be aware of is that the road in can be rough, so you should be extra careful driving in, especially if your car is low to the ground. While on that way you may see some cattle grazing around cactus, another treat for the eyes.

What a beautiful hike. Very rocky and you need to watch your footing at all times. Loved the solitude, challenge, gorgeous views and great workout!

Very challenging, but rewarding with the views and wet areas.

A pretty hard trail if you go the whole way and no waterfall in the summer :( at least not went we went in July. It's a beaut. Take sunscreen, duh. (We didn't and burned pretty bad. Will have these tan lines for the rest of our lives pretty sure.) You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere because the trail goes pretty far into the mountains. If you're into that and pretty views, this trail is for you. Kinda rocky in some places. I tripped regularly.

A very rocky and strenuous trail which offers great views and visits a seasonal waterfall. The accent and descent are almost a continual grade so it is not too hard other than the large amount of rocks on the trail.

We went on to the Arizona Trail (to the left) so that we could look over the Matazal divide for more scenic views.

Gorgeous trail. Has forest, desert, flowers, canyons, mountains. A river below and a small waterfall too. Very peaceful. I ended up going about 2 miles past the waterfall.

Great hike! I would rate this more moderate as the incline is fairly gradual. There are a few spots that have steep climbs buy nothing crazy. The waterfall (4 miles in) and streams (6 and 10 miles in- approximately) are running light and will dry up in the near future...water packs can be filled from these sources. I would recommend at least 3L for up and 2L back down the trail.

If you are plan on backpacking there is a great site towards the end as the trail divides into the AZT. If you keep right you will run into these campsites about a half mile after The Divide.

This trail was fantastic, the views were amazing! I only had one day in Phoenix to go hiking and was very pleased with my choice of this trail. I agree with the other commenters that it's moderate rather than hard. There is a lot of uphill, but it is such a gentle incline that it is not too strenuous. According to my GPS it was actually 12 miles rather than 10. If I were to do it again I probably wouldn't continue past the waterfall 3 miles in, past that it fairly quickly becomes less scenic. At the waterfall make sure you go up the creek to the main falls, I would not have realized to go up there if I hadn't seen other people coming back down.

I've done this trail many times, and it never gets old. Beautiful views. When the water's running, the falls and streams are awesome! I almost always see some kind of wildlife.
The hard rating is not necessarily accurate. The trail climbs up quite a bit, but it's a gradual climb. I'd rate it as moderate. I often don't see another human being the whole time on this trail. The most I've ever seen is maybe 15 people along the way.
If it's rained a lot recently, or there's been recent snow melt, the dirt road leading to the trailhead can get almost like quicksand in places. Even in my 4WD truck, if I get a couple miles up it and it starts getting greasy and deep, I turn around and come back another, drier, day. One time I saw a 4WD Toyota Tundra sunk up to the top of the wheel wells in the mud. He was waiting for another guy to come pull him out. Like my uncle often says "with a 4WD you just get stuck farther back in the woods." LOL
Overall, this is a great hike. If you're really ambitious and go past the waterfalls, there are some excellent spots for camping!

Beautiful! Love the waterfalls. Went all the way to the divide and back. Will do again!

The trailhead is a short walk from the parking area, towards the cattle guard.
I thoroughly enjoyed this hike. The landscape is so beautiful; I went in early March so there was many water features as well as snow on the distant peaks despite being about 75 degrees-- amazing! I was only able to complete the first ~3.5 miles of this out and back due to water runoff blocking the trail. I'm looking forward to giving it another go later in the year when the water level is lower. The views are spectacular. The trail is well maintained. Didn't see a single soul while I was out there over a span of 3 hours. I would say the hard rating is not quite right, I'd rate it on the harder side of Moderate.

Trail was great! Good for all levels. Views are spectacular!

Great hike, unexpectedly great. Trail is really pretty good maybe a little overrated as to difficulty. Spectacular views and geology. Lots of water. I would image this is best during the spring with runoff filling the creeks and waterfalls. The last fall is well worth the hike if that was the only reason for your hike. Make sure you hike up to the"Grotto " above the trail.
This is a Wilderness Area no mountain bikes!

Monday, February 06, 2017

Wonderful trail. Little dangerous when it's icy on the ground but passable. I would bring gloves to brace yourself against the wall when the trail is icy if you are going winter seasons

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Great trail with interesting rock formations. It is a climb but I did not find it to be extremely difficult at all.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Gorgeous in winter months with icicles and water flow but canyons are also more shaded.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

I am intoxicated by my time spent in the southwest recently. To discover this trail and run upon its climbing, jagged ridgeline, the experience was mightily refreshing and rewarding (both physically and aesthetically). Running it in the evening with the sun setting, the manzanita wilderness offers purple hues on its angular rocks, and an open sky that beds the juniper/cacti/manzanita/ponderosa covered mountains that endlessly extend into Arizona countryland. Many places to stop and take breathtaking views.