Barbershop Trail

Barbershop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Happy Jack, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive about 55 Miles south on Forest Highway 3 (Lake Mary Road). Turn north 9 miles on AZ 87 to FR 95 and then south (right) 8 miles to FR 139 and continue 7 miles to the trailhead. FH 3 and AZ 87 are paved. All other roads are graveled and suitable for passenger vehicles except during winter when they are closed.

The biggest recommendation I have for this trail is a map or GPS. The trail itself is very hard to stay on. Some parts are obvious but others can be very tricky. I read a lot of hiking blogs that helped because they gave turn by turn directions. But I still could not finish the trail because I kept losing it. And I needed to turn back before night. The dirt road to the trailhead is also very easy to get lost on. There is no cell phone service so be aware of that. I was able to drive the trail with the sedan but it got really bumpy. Very peaceful hike. Really in the middle of nowhere.

Saturday, May 28, 2016