Badger Springs Wash Trail

Badger Springs Wash Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mayer, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

is a beautiful hike just outside of phx that is about 70% rockhopping, the rest sand and water. The trail can be extended past the petroglyphs by bushwhacking another 3/4 of a mile. One is treated with numerous rock formations and small cascades when you do. The trail is sandy for many segments with uneven surfaces. Wet feet are common during the winter, spring, and after rain events. Beware of summer monsoons which may produce flash flooding in the area. If you are caught in a monsoon event, get to higher ground immediately.

off road driving

I went to Agua Fria National Park, which is near the Bloody Basin road when you go North on I-17. What a fantastic afternoon of playing and exploring - sans rattlesnakes! The goal was to reach an ancient, Native American settlement, which was somewhat challenging to reach. My Jeep could have taken me there, but the dirt bike was faster, albeit more risky! ;)

If you'd like to see a short video (10m), it is here and on youtube :

The first part are little clips showing the terrain along the way, but the majority of the video is from the settlement.

Very easy hike with a puppy, 6 year old, and 9 month old in a carrier. No water but it has hardly rained in Phoenix for 4 months so no surprise there. Will come up again after a monsoon

This is a short, easy trail nestled in the bottom of a sandy wash. The petroglyphs make the trip extra worth it.

Close to Anthem and recommended for beginners

Nice scenic trail, a little to easy for my liking but I did enjoy it. The pools didn't have alot of water but there still was some in the pools further back. This was one of the trails on my list and glad I got a chance to do it!

It's a beautiful area. Great scenery in the high desert. It's difficult to stay on an actual trail on this hike however. It kinda intertwined with the wash/river. If there was a lot of water in the wash/river we wouldn't have been able to go all the way down to the petroglyphs or swimming areas.

We did not believe we would find water when we were standing at the trailhead, but we did! Easy hike in, our three year old walked it and loved playing in the pools. Saw 7 people total. It seems we were a couple of weeks late as the creek is no longer flowing. Pools are not stagnant yet.

Easy hike and different then most because of the spring. Well worth the trip and bring a picnic lunch!

Saw only two Sauarros.

Very pleasant hike in and along the stream. The petroglyphs are up high at your 7 o'clock if you are standing at the water intersection facing the fork of the water. Lots of dried slit and sand amongst large rocks -- kids dream and nervous parent nightmare.

Right now there is plenty of water to swim in! Also, when you first arrive at the pond, look up and to your left & you will see a cool hieroglyphic!

Very cool place my husband and I stumbled upon. Very wet and muddy/sandy in some parts. The river was flowing beautifully in March. Overall very easy but beautiful.

Monday, January 23, 2017

we hiked it this morning and due to recent rains there was plenty of water in the river and along the trail. Made for a pleasant hike.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Started out easy with sandy soil then gradually turned into large rocks to climb around. Was pretty dry when we went. Some pools of water but no running water. Very nice views.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great hike! Super Easy

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Nice little hike to take my 3 year old on her first "adventure," didn't find a waterfall tho...

Friday, June 17, 2016

Favorite hike of 2016. Completed in May- wouldn't want to try it in hot summer. Visited unexcavated pueblo ruins, found petroglyphs and plenty of potsherds. Never saw another soul and most recent entry in the logbook was from the day before. Went well beyond the marked trail and the views were well worth it. Definitely recommend 4x4 vehicle to get well out into the park- 'primitive' road may be too generous a description lol

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Happy (the dog) and I love, love, LOVE this trail, probably our favorite in all of Arizona. We seldom see any people, those we do run across occasionally are totally cool with Happy off leash. It's an easy sand walk on the trail, but if you do want some good up-and-down exercise, you can crawl all over the rocks in the gorgeous river canyon. Don't be surprised if you hike all morning and your tracking devices show you walked a half-mile and burned 17 calories, your standard phone GPS will likely drop out halfway up the trail. If a point is, leave your devices at home, and look up!! This is one fabulous walk, enjoy it!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Beautiful scenery! The trail is also so remote that you can't hear the noise of the highway and isn't crowded. The hike itself is short and very easy but the view at the trail end was amazing!

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Short hike but excellent. You hike down a dry wash (most of the year), to petroglyphs, and beyond you can bushwhack either up or down the river for more scenic areas.