Badger Springs Wash Trail

Badger Springs Wash Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mayer, Arizona that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

is a beautiful hike just outside of phx that is about 70% rockhopping, the rest sand and water. The trail can be extended past the petroglyphs by bushwhacking another 3/4 of a mile. One is treated with numerous rock formations and small cascades when you do. The trail is sandy for many segments with uneven surfaces. Wet feet are common during the winter, spring, and after rain events. Beware of summer monsoons which may produce flash flooding in the area. If you are caught in a monsoon event, get to higher ground immediately.

fun hike for kids and dogs it's easy, we usually hike down to the spring and go swimming there are some pretty big fish the for the area and some petroglyphs and a mine entrance or lock box area with a big explosive sign around the area and ruins. fun family hike and place to hunt not much on views bit nice walking in the canyon

Short drive from I -17 on dirt road. Plenty of space to park. Trail runs through the wash (soft sandy dirt). Very easy hike. A great hike to do with the kids. There are some very pretty wild flowers throughout the trail which attacks some very beautiful birds. Enjoy!

Perfect weather day to take an easy walk and decided to check out Badger Springs. Not difficult at all. Great place to take kids since most of the trail was fairly wide. We arrived and only two other cars in the parking area. Nice peaceful and quiet little hike to a stream where we let the kids explore. Nothing strenuous for them and we had fun. As for the views, I’m giving it a 3.5 stars overall. It was decent but we will continue to search for something better.

I call this hike “a Walk In Heaven.” I have always hiked this in the wash. Caution not to do so during monsoon season for risk of flash flood. Large animal tracks - you won’t be alone! A very special place. Lisa B.

off road driving

I went to Agua Fria National Park, which is near the Bloody Basin road when you go North on I-17. What a fantastic afternoon of playing and exploring - sans rattlesnakes! The goal was to reach an ancient, Native American settlement, which was somewhat challenging to reach. My Jeep could have taken me there, but the dirt bike was faster, albeit more risky! ;)

If you'd like to see a short video (10m), it is here and on youtube :

The first part are little clips showing the terrain along the way, but the majority of the video is from the settlement.

Very easy hike with a puppy, 6 year old, and 9 month old in a carrier. No water but it has hardly rained in Phoenix for 4 months so no surprise there. Will come up again after a monsoon

This is a short, easy trail nestled in the bottom of a sandy wash. The petroglyphs make the trip extra worth it.

Close to Anthem and recommended for beginners

Nice scenic trail, a little to easy for my liking but I did enjoy it. The pools didn't have alot of water but there still was some in the pools further back. This was one of the trails on my list and glad I got a chance to do it!

It's a beautiful area. Great scenery in the high desert. It's difficult to stay on an actual trail on this hike however. It kinda intertwined with the wash/river. If there was a lot of water in the wash/river we wouldn't have been able to go all the way down to the petroglyphs or swimming areas.

Monday, June 12, 2017

We did not believe we would find water when we were standing at the trailhead, but we did! Easy hike in, our three year old walked it and loved playing in the pools. Saw 7 people total. It seems we were a couple of weeks late as the creek is no longer flowing. Pools are not stagnant yet.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Easy hike and different then most because of the spring. Well worth the trip and bring a picnic lunch!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Saw only two Sauarros.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Very pleasant hike in and along the stream. The petroglyphs are up high at your 7 o'clock if you are standing at the water intersection facing the fork of the water. Lots of dried slit and sand amongst large rocks -- kids dream and nervous parent nightmare.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Right now there is plenty of water to swim in! Also, when you first arrive at the pond, look up and to your left & you will see a cool hieroglyphic!

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Very cool place my husband and I stumbled upon. Very wet and muddy/sandy in some parts. The river was flowing beautifully in March. Overall very easy but beautiful.

Monday, January 23, 2017

we hiked it this morning and due to recent rains there was plenty of water in the river and along the trail. Made for a pleasant hike.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Started out easy with sandy soil then gradually turned into large rocks to climb around. Was pretty dry when we went. Some pools of water but no running water. Very nice views.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great hike! Super Easy

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Nice little hike to take my 3 year old on her first "adventure," didn't find a waterfall tho...

Friday, June 17, 2016

Favorite hike of 2016. Completed in May- wouldn't want to try it in hot summer. Visited unexcavated pueblo ruins, found petroglyphs and plenty of potsherds. Never saw another soul and most recent entry in the logbook was from the day before. Went well beyond the marked trail and the views were well worth it. Definitely recommend 4x4 vehicle to get well out into the park- 'primitive' road may be too generous a description lol

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Happy (the dog) and I love, love, LOVE this trail, probably our favorite in all of Arizona. We seldom see any people, those we do run across occasionally are totally cool with Happy off leash. It's an easy sand walk on the trail, but if you do want some good up-and-down exercise, you can crawl all over the rocks in the gorgeous river canyon. Don't be surprised if you hike all morning and your tracking devices show you walked a half-mile and burned 17 calories, your standard phone GPS will likely drop out halfway up the trail. If a point is, leave your devices at home, and look up!! This is one fabulous walk, enjoy it!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Beautiful scenery! The trail is also so remote that you can't hear the noise of the highway and isn't crowded. The hike itself is short and very easy but the view at the trail end was amazing!

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Short hike but excellent. You hike down a dry wash (most of the year), to petroglyphs, and beyond you can bushwhack either up or down the river for more scenic areas.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Did the hike to the trails end and then bushwhacked on down the river for another 3/4 of a mile till I hit heavy brush along the banks. A lot of the scenic area is just beginning beyond the end of the trail. It requires some bouldering but is well worth it. Their were several small cascades and nice rock formations past the end of the trail. Nice hike, just to short.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Nice hike. I went in October with my dog. It is a beautiful hike but there are terrible bushes that shed horrible spiney burrs that were stuck all over him. they burrow deep in the fur, hard to remove if you don't catch them right away. Very muddy water but he loved it. I will do it again but not with the dog. Not worth the burrs.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Great hiking area, not far off I17 so easy to get to. Got to the parking lot in my car. about a mile down to where it forks off, at the fork there are petroglyphs to the left. We hiked along the river bed going to the right and came across some small water holes (I'm guessing its much better in the spring), a snake that even though I came within 2 feet of was not interested in us and a skunk (luckily he ran off). I think there might be more water if we had of gone to the left on the fork but have to explore that another day. Temps were still good when we got done around 10:30 AM, seems to be around 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Beautiful area!

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Out and back trail that provides almost endless possibilities to wander off the beaten path to explore. I took my lab out with me and we spent the entire day finding swimming holes.

Monday, January 26, 2015

A must do hike and it's right off of I-17. We have driven past this a bunch of times and never would imagine the beauty that is on this trail. Cold water, waterfalls and petroglyphs along with the desert backdrop make this a fantastic place. It's an easy hike. The only tough part is Boulder hopping should you choose to do so, and it's not bad at all.

Monday, October 06, 2014

This is not a difficult hike. My family of four including a 6 and 11 year old, completed it quite easily. Bring plenty of water. There were butterflies everywhere. Cool water, wonderful scenery and petroglyphs make for a great Arizona hike.