Backway to Crown King

Backway to Crown King is a 26.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Peoria, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

scenic driving

Steep climb goes from desert to cooler mountains This is a challenging four-wheel-drive route but is also a great historical tour. Your trip will be greatly enhanced if you learn a little about the area before you go. A book I've found most helpful is Crown King and the Southern Bradshaws: A Complete History by Bruce M. Wilson. It explains the history and development of the mines and mining towns with pictures from the past. Knowing how things looked back then will help you understand what remains today. Located in Prescott National Forest. For current conditions call Bradshaw Ranger District (928) 443-8000 Most of this route is easy to moderate; however, there are a few difficult places that will challenge stock vehicles. The road has gotten worse over the years, especially the steepest part in the last four miles. Erosion has exposed more rocks and deep ruts have formed. Aggressive stock vehicles with good articulation can get up this trail but they may need to stack rocks or be helped with a tow strap.

off road driving

Such a nice beautiful drive through the woods and dessert. There is a few water crossings which make the trail even more enjoyable.

off road driving

Started out as a great day lots of traffic on the trail This was a hard trail in some places for a stock jeep some obstacles are not by passable all and all was a fun day good burgers and beer at Crown King Gregs wife

off road driving

Started off easy, but past the last houses the real fun started. Took the trail with an ADV motorcycle. It was hard, sometimes impossible for such a heavy bike. Thank god for my small winch. There are section an ADV bike has to use the bypass. One (flat) section lead through a rocky river bed due to some construction going on. Not sure if it was really the right trail, but it was a bit annoying. I saw a group of Jeeps crawling through the difficult sections. Really cool. I also came across a few guys on dirt bikes that did not seem to have any issues at all. Flew right past :)
Again, An ADV bike with 550lbs might not be your best choice for such a trail, but I like the challenge. Overall expect to be on this trail easily 5-7h with breaks and some hard work. One may think that a few tens miles is not much, but believe me, off road it can be a really long trip. Any 4x4 with decent ground clearance will handle this trail IMHO. Dirt bikes should be good as well, ADVs can be a real challenge. Remember to bring plenty of water and food especially during the summer months, one will sweat a lot :)
Once you get closer to Crown King scenery changes to forest and more sandy trail (vs mostly rocks before). Took the straight way to I-17 from CK as it was late already. That part is really just a main dirt road, no challenges there.
Too bad my phone overheated constantly, so I could not record the whole trail. Outside temperature was indicated at times at 122F, but that could have also been from engine heat. Nevertheless weather forecast said for that day 107F and lots of sun, which I can definitely confirm to have been true.
I think I'll go back, maybe when it is a bit cooler, then lodge in CK. CK itself seems really nice.

off road driving

Did this in my '98 Wrangler (TJ) and my uncle's '96 Cherokee (XJ). Which was a very fun time. Took about 5 hours as we stopped half way through at the lunch spot (Where everyone stops) met some cool people saw some cool rigs, we did all the obstacles as we have pretty built rigs but bypasses are there for pretty much all the obstacles. If you get stuck there's a million people on the trail so someone will most likely come by. We are again at Crown King and got fudge at the general store. Overall it's a really fun trail no matter what off-road vehicle you have, used to be really rough and super rocky for more crawling but they have mellowed it down a ton because of the fires up there recently. 5 star trail, fun for a day trip.

off road driving

Ran this with a buddy for the first time for both of us. Took about 5 hours with a break for food, checking maps and taking photos along this beautiful trail. Got hung up on a few obstacles but 2 of 3 had to deal with approach angle because my 4Runner Limited has such a low hanging front bumper. Mind the wasps that seem to hang out in the beginning 3rd of the trail. No water in any of the crossings but that was ok. My 4Runner is stock other than AT tires and I removed the rockers jic.

off road driving

Fun trail. Ran it today in my 99 XJ. Took about 4 hours from start to finish. Then had lunch in Crown King. not sure if i would call this a hard trail, it can be in spots, but overall a lot of fun.

off road driving

Ran this with some friends on 5/27/17. It can be a LONG day so be prepared with lunch and/or snacks. It can also be HOT so be sure to bring lots of water.

The southern half of the trail was a bit boring and hot. Mostly fire road type of terrain. There were three or four obstacles to break things up a little but not much. There was really only one significant obstacle. All the obstacles had bypasses so not to worry if an obstacle makes you uncomfortable.

It was just rough enough that I would not recommend trying this road without high clearance.

The north part of the trail gained some altitude. It got cooler, the terrain changed to forest, an the views were great. Part of the trail ran through a creek bed. Not a lot of water to worry about but the rocks were fun.

Make sure you have a spare. You probably won't need it but there are enough rocks, especially in the creek bed, that you could lose a tire...I did. Glad I had the spare and the jack.

Overall, it was a good day, but long. Not a super challenging trail, but I'm glad I did it at least once.

Challenging trail 4x4 is a must

off road driving

Great off road day trip from Lake Pleasant to Crown King! Drove it in a 2008 Land Cruiser. Definitely challenging in spots due to the vehicle size, but still doable if you choose to use the bypasses for a couple of the six obstacles on the path. Watch out for the center rock in the path somewhere in the last 3-4 miles of the assent. It could be a doozy!

off road driving

If you start from I-17 and go to Cleator then Crown King and head down to lake pleasant plan for an all day trip. 7+ hours depending on how long you stop and site see.
The ride in to Cleator and then to Crown King from exit 259 "bloody basin" N bound on I-17 was washboards and a few one lane bridges so watch out for traffic in blind corners. With this being the start of snake season watch out for rattlers and other snakes warming up in the road and in pull outs if you stop to "relieve" yourself or site see. This was an easy ride in our Rubicon. We saw many stock non 4 wheel drive vehicles along the way enjoying this trail also.
Now the trail from Crown King down to lake pleasant increases from easy to difficult (in our humble opinion) we hit bottom twice on our way down (3.5" lift, 33" tires with sway bar disconnected) probably due to poor line choice but it's worth mentioning. The scenery was incredible. Steep drop offs, narrow road that you will need to share with those headed up and a few water crossing at one point the "road" was closed and we had to drive the wash with water flowing.
Very enjoyable trail.