Atascosa Lookout Trail

Atascosa Lookout Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nogales, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Narrow trail but well worn. We didn't see another person the whole hike. The trail could be dangerous but we did it with our kids aging from 10 to 15. Spectacular views.

Beautiful views!!! The lookout cabin is not there anymore, it burnt down a few years ago in the last forest fire.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trailhead is (now) well marked, particularly when coming from Ruby. Large brown FS signs for the trail, and for the parking area across the road. There is a left turn onto route 39 about 10 miles down Ruby Road. Route 39 turns to dirt soon after. Lat:31.40493 Lon:-111.14698 (from http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Atascosa_Lookout_0000.asp)

The trail itself was well marked and easy to follow. I was glad to have chosen pants and boots, despite the 100F forecast. Beautiful 360 view from the top, around the various weather and communication installations. Cool at the top as well, owing to the steady wind. Past a concrete cistern, and a helicopter landing area near the top. Round trip took right at 4 hours, including lingering at the top for probably 15 minutes.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

I went to do this today, and couldn't find the trailhead. Even asked a Park Ranger and they didn't know of it. Tried everything. If you have an idea, let me know. I did the Lake trail instead, which worked out for my dogs, but I still want to find this trail!