Aspen Trail and Marshall Gulch Loop Trail

Aspen Trail and Marshall Gulch Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Take the Catalina Highway off Tanque Verde Road. Drive 4.2 miles to the Forest boundary and continue 26 miles through Summerhaven to the Marshall Gulch Picnic Area. The trailhead is at the end of the road. You'll have to walk the last couple of hundred yards in winter when the road into the picnic area is closed.

We love this hike. Beautiful fall colors right now. Feels like you are far away from the desert. Pretty easy. Great to being your dog and family along.

Some decent Fall colors and leaves with some water still in the creek. Pretty, and great Fall type weather compared to the desert floor in Tucson.

Well trafficked, but not crazy. Great way to get above some of the heat, but don't forget the sunblock. The pines don't offer nearly as much shade as we were expecting. Perfect difficulty for carrying a wee one!

Beautiful trail for a day away from the Tucson heat. Lots of butterflies and squirrels.

Great trail! Good workout but not too hard. Perfect for a quick weekend trip. Beautiful views, lots of shade, pretty flowers and TONS of butterflies. Nice stream that runs through for water for the dogs. Parking lot was packed but the trail was quiet.

We cleared the logs and improved the tread on the Marshall gulch section.

Lots of fun, not too hard, my 10 yr old enjoyed it with me today!

Love doing this trail, today was even better as it was overcast most of the time,, lots of water running and chilly temps!!

What a great hike to escape the heat of the desert! My dog Dusty and I had a great time! There's plenty of tree cover and Dusty loved the cool mountain streams.

Did the Marshall Gulch portion of the trail. The wife and really enjoyed the trail. Took our six year old Yorkshire Terrier and she had no problem navigating the terrain. Gradual elevation gain was a great workout. Plenty of tree cover along the hike to keep you out of the direct sun. A few spots where you had watch your footing while climbing over some small rock formations in the trail. Only came across a few other hikers, but probably because it was late evening near sunset. Would give it 5 stars if there views at the top! Will try it again and do full circle and include aspen trail, maybe some views from there.

Nice trail. Some steep parts and lots of ferns and nice views.

Love this trail . We did not finish the loop and came back down Marshalls but it was great. Going again and going to complete the loop. For a beginner and planner this spot is ideal, and there is a nice picnic area at the trail head . Very little parking so an early arrival is best. You can stop on your way out at the cookie cabin and rainbow gift shop . Both pretty expensive, we did not eat there at 8 dollars a slice of pizza and 30 for a pie I waited to eat once I got back to town . I am a bit picky about my pizza since I am from the east coast . Nice thing about This loop is it's simple to find and staying in trail was easy. I think once we get some rain it will be nicer when the creek is full, since you follow the creek bed most of the way . Happy hiking

Loved the trail! Beautiful new pine trees. It has been changed a bit because of trail repairs, so it's longer, bring a little more water.

Not exactly how the trail was but made my own by adding part of mount lemon trail and wilderness of rocks trail.. it was a long but well worth hike.. some easy areas and some hard very rocky with very dense vegetation. Espectacular views for sure. I would do this again for sure!! And the best part, not as fun but my first time hiking alone!!

Aspen leg is steep. Marshall quiet nice. Best to go early.

Easy to moderate trail and relatively short hike.There are several points on the trail that are perfect for just hanging out and enjoying the scenery. This trail has just about everything Mt. Lemmon has to offer: creeks, forest, wildflowers, wildlife and city views. .

This trail is amazing! I agree the trail is moderate with some shorter climbs in elevation. The trail is clearly marked and mostly shaded. Parking gets pretty busy, so try to get their earlier in the day.

great hike! arrive early early. builds stamina