Aspen Trail and Marshall Gulch Loop Trail

Aspen Trail and Marshall Gulch Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Take the Catalina Highway off Tanque Verde Road. Drive 4.2 miles to the Forest boundary and continue 26 miles through Summerhaven to the Marshall Gulch Picnic Area. The trailhead is at the end of the road. You'll have to walk the last couple of hundred yards in winter when the road into the picnic area is closed.

We did this hike twice on recent trip to Tucson. Valley temps were 90's so great way to escape the heat! I would hike counter-clockwise for nice trek following a stream through the woods. About mid-point You can detour on the Wilderness of Rocks trail (as out and back) for some other views. On the backside there were a few big views. The last part of the decent is rocky and a bit steep. Probably more shade once the leaves come out in spring. This is a busy location so arrive early for parking.
Note: The actual trail does not match up to the Forest Service trail shown on Garmin hiking GPS. The trail is obvious but if you are following the Garmin it will give some doubt the first time you do this trail.

My favorite hike on Mt Lemmon! Gorgeous!!

Two separate hikes took my boyfriend and I through parts of this loop. We were met with beautiful views, incredible terrain and beautiful weather the times we have gone. I highly recommend this loop if you're looking for a decent hike with gorgeous and natural views.

Great loop trail. We hiked it on Dec 30th and there was no one else on the path. Beautiful views. Easy to find route. One of the best short day hikes we have done.

This was a fun hike.. elevation and I don't get Alonso it was rough at some points but so pretty.. well marked..

I would consider this moderate trail. We hiked in fall so areas had leaves fallen. It was gorgeous but it does get slippery to walk on wet leaves. Beautiful scenery throughout the 4 mile trail.

This is a great trail, but it's awfully crowded. We had beautiful fall colors the entire way. We hiked up Marshall Gulch, then turned left at Aspen Trail. There is a nice overlook a half mile along. We had an amazing rainbow while there. I'm not sure that happens every time though. :) Due to time restraints, we came back down Marshall Gulch.

We hiked mid October and the leaves were changing and dropping. It's really beautiful. My favorite thing about the hike is that there are so many scenery changes.

Really enjoyed this hike. After driving through Summerhaven go to end of road. We got on the trail right behind the restrooms on the right side and took the loop counterclockwise. The first half of hike felt like I was in New England. Cool temperatures for September. The second half is SO beautiful as you go through hundreds of new pine trees and then the aspens. It was a little busy for the first 10 minutes, but then we were alone most of the hike. Easy-moderate. So much different than Sabino and Catalina but still lovely.
September 2016.