Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Fred Haught Trail, Houston Brothers Trail, Forest Road 300

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(9)
Happy Jack, Arizona

Fred Haught Trail, Houston Brothers Trail, Forest Road 300 is a 20.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Happy Jack, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 20.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,866 feet Route Type: Loop

54 minutes ago

A great series of trails! Did this as part of a shakedown hike and spent a night along the trail. You could definitely do this in a single day but we got to a later start and planned to finish the morning after. Will be returning!

This was a great trail. Could easily do this loop in a day hike if you car camp near by. We did it over two days and camped just past Pinchot cabin in the second meadow. For the rim road portion, we recommend walking off the road parallel to avoid the dust and shorten the walk by about a mile. We loved the nature variety on this trail between pine forest, aspen groves, meadows, streams and the incredible rim drop. Many reviews recommended going counter clockwise to reduce the incline, but the incline wasn’t that significant. We did go clockwise and not the full second day from Pinchot cabin to your car is more like 12 miles. So I would plan your direction based on the rim road portion, either end or begin with the road sharing, dust, etc. the Houston brothers cut of the full loop is a great alternative. Enjoy!

Really great overnight hike and a great option if you don’t want to commit to 2 nights for the full Cabin Loop trail. Went clockwise starting at General Springs Cabin, beautiful scenery and trails are easy to follow as you are on the AZT (If you want to get the vertical ascents and descents as well as 4 miles along rim road done on the first day and save full serenity for the 2nd day take it counter clockwise). As mentioned in other reviews the road before you get to Pinchot cabin is washed out but just head to the right and you can make your way down and back up the banks and regain the trail. Plenty of water that you can filter along the way but I would think in a few weeks it will be pretty scarce. Once we exited the Houston Brothers trail at Rim Road on day 2 we took the opportunity to walk out to the edge of the cliffs throw some hammocks up and nap/eat for an hour or so which was super relaxing. We tried to make the last 4+ miles of the hike (which basically follows Rim Road) interesting by bushwhacking through the forest and cutting off distance by taking direct lines using the dowloaded map from AllTrails but the last mile was done walking the road which you will share with cars and OHV’s. Take note that General Springs Cabin trailhead is 12 miles from the Rim Road entry gate, road is decent and can be made with a normal car but it’s a long haul if you don’t want to beat your 2WD up.

bridge out

This was a great hike with several old cabins and natural springs.

bridge out
Fri Apr 26 2019

I messed up using the app because I wasn’t sure if I could start recording if I didn’t have cell service. I started at 1:00pm on a Friday and finished around 10:30 on Sunday. The trail was great for my first outing. The last 4 miles or so of the Houston Brothers trail really burned me out. I only saw two groups of people so it was very solitary.

Sun Nov 18 2018