Arizona Trail: Bellota

Arizona Trail: Bellota is a 10 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Tucson, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

This is a very good hike if you are not looking to kill yourself going up and down. The first 9/10's of a mile is a climb, however, the balance is either downhill or level.

My golden retriever and I hiked it earlier today. There was a little water in some of the washes about 2.5 miles in. The hike starts off with a little greenery at Molino Basin, but quickly turns to tall grass and desert. It is very easy to navigate. Never saw any other hikers, however, we were surprised by a couple of Mountain Bikers.

About 3.3 miles in, we connected to the Milagrosa Canyon Trail that ended at Wentworth and Horsehead. We were then picked up and brought back to Molino Basin.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Important Note - To park at the Molino Basin campground in one of the AZ Trail Hiker spots, you will need $5 cash. You put it in an envelope provided by the forest service and keep the stub for your car. Go to the AZ Trail sign near the road/driveway and cross the road to pick up the trail head.

This is a great little low elevation hike for when you want to get out on the path quickly. It's only a short drive up Mount Lemmon to get to the trail head. The trail seems to be moving constantly up or down hill via switchback and is quite rocky in some areas but it is definitely not a hike that would be overly challenging. I would say it is upper level easy to low level moderate difficulty. Dogs are allowed and 2 out of the 3 people I came across had dogs with them (and I had my pup too!). The views and foliage along the way are really nice; I think due to the elevation you get a great mix of desert plants, meadow-like areas and some smaller trees. I definitely recommend this as a Fall to Spring hike as there would be no overhead cover during the hot summer months. Overall, very pleasant, well-kept trail that is easy to follow and quick to get to. :) [We hiked in for about an hour then turned around and hiked out so we did not complete the whole trail but probably the first half or so.]

Friday, November 25, 2016