Arizona (Ringbolt) Hot Springs Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(878)
Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Arizona (Ringbolt) Hot Springs Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Willow Beach, Arizona that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,223 feet Route Type: Loop

hot springs

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19. Note: Trail closed from May 15 - Sept 30 due to extreme heat according to National Park Service website. The trail head is an easy parking lot, well maintained. It serves as the head for both the Liberty Bell Trail and the Arizona Hot Springs (these fork at a point - there's a map in the parking lot). Washes can be frustrating to follow, however this one is easy and clearly marked by spray painted yellow arrows. Once you reach the river, make a left. You'll soon find another arrow. Follow it (along with the other markers) to the springs. It'll be obvious when you come across a small lukewarm spring. There is no cell phone service along this trail. It can get extremely hot in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area so plan accordingly.

2 years ago on May 5,2018 I went on a hike. That hike ended with me being life flighted out of Ringbolt Trail. I had severe heat stroke. There were 4 people that were instrumental in saving my life before search and rescue found me. The first two I don’t remember but have been told about them. They were picnicking and gave us extra water and a towel to put on my neck. They also gave me a granola bar which I tried to eat. The next two I do remember but I don’t know much. He said he goes by X and his girlfriend and him came across my friend passed out near the parking lot. They called 911 and gave her some Gatorade. They then hiked in to find me and my friends husband. Upon locating me he gave me small amounts of water. I was extremely delirious by that point and remember bits and pieces. I am told by my friends husband that he pushed me to make it a little farther. Because of this it was easier for search and rescue to get me on the helicopter. I have spent the last 2 years healing my mind from this and now want the opportunity to say thank you. Please share this as much as you can and hopefully it will get to these people!! To them: Thank you for giving me my life back! Thank you for the ability to come home to my family. In that 2 years I have seen another grandbaby born. I wouldn’t have that opportunity without any of you. Please know I am forever grateful.

Jennifer, I’m so sorry that happened to you. I remember you there that day with your friends. We passed each other a couple of times near the hot springs. I remember thinking you didn’t look happy to be there. I went the other way out and met your friend at the parking lot. She told me you were having problems and I saw the helicopter. I thought about you many times and have wondered if you were OK or not. I hope you have a great rest of your life!

One of the neatest hikes we’ve ever done. I would suggest talking to the park rangers at the visitors’ center before heading out because once you get to the Colorado river the trail is a bit hard to follow/find, but thankfully with a map the rangers gave us, as well as the help of other hikers we were able to find the hot springs and spend some time with other hikers. Be careful about bringing children to the hot springs though because there were naked men and women all over the place, getting in and out of the springs. I would just suggest sending an adult up first to make sure no one is exposed.

Arizona Hot Springs, Liberty Bell Arch, and White Rock Canyon are all closed until September 30th. You can still access the area from the river, but may not be able to reach the hot springs as the ladder was wiped out in a flood, I have no information on when the ladder will be replaced, if it hasn't been already. https://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/temporary-operational-adjustments.htm

Beautiful hike. Hot Springs are a bonus. View of Colorado River. Went in April. No shade except in Hot Springs. Just take it all in.

Great hike! Be aware, ladder is gone. Be cautious of the route you take in. Going through the canyon will lead you to a dead end until they return the ladder.

Beautiful Hike, we went CCW back in November. The springs were pretty crowded (to be expected, and their were some nudist- who cares) but the rest of the hike we didn’t see anyone. Do your research and heed the warnings about the deadly bacteria in the springs. The climb out is a bit steep and loose footing in some places, but otherwise it’s a not a hard hike. We did log slightly more than the recorded distance despite never leaving the trail, we ended up closer to 7 miles.

Parking lot and trail are closed until further notice. Check NPS Lake Mead for further updates: https://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/temporary-operational-adjustments.htm

Part if the trail is closed at the moment because the ladder was washed away. It can still be done but only one direction. Check https://www.nps.gov/lake/index.htm for updates

The hike going CCW wasnt too bad going to the river for a beginner hiker but the climb up to the hot spring was a bit challenging. Would definitely suggest going early to beat traffic for a decent spot to park.

Amazing trail. I hike counter clockwise and went on the outside trail on the way back. There’s a bit more climbing if you go this way, so be prepared! Not a difficult hike, and I think it would be an amazing one for those with little ones.

Beautiful hike. If you want a challenge do it counter clock wise.

Hiked this bad boy yesterday. It was a rewarding hike with such a scenic view on the way (if you hike clockwise). The first hot spring is soooo hot, but if you keep hopping to the next one the temperature decreases. It’s easily doable and the “easy” route doesn’t have lots of shade mid-day.

Went clockwise on a Saturday in March. Some moderate scrambling on the way in. Well rewarded when you reach the hot springs. That first one was hot! Beautiful river view as you head back out before you hit the canyons and sift gravel on the way back in. Definitely a must-hike.

Steep hike if run counter clockwise, would not recommend this hike to those with dogs if doing the full loop because of the 15’ ladder at the base of the hot springs

Hiked this trail as a loop counterclockwise. We went in March on a Saturday and encountered quite a few people at the pools. (Some of them with clothes some not.) Overall great hike! Would recommend!!

I liked running it clockwise- less of a scramble on second half (climb) then?

I went on Wednesday March 4, 2020. 75ish degrees. I went clockwise. It took me about 5 hours total roundtrip. 2 hours in and 2 hours out, and an hour mucking around the springs and river. I understand now why people say go counterclockwise. Going CW ,the end of the hike is all uphill through the shifty sand of the wash. It was irksome. Next time I will go CCW. Being during the middle of the week I had the pools to myself for quite sometime. I also had no idea the Colorado was so emerald green and clear in places like this. Absolutely stunning scenery all around. I only brought 1.5 liters like a dumbass. Bring at least double that and snacks! Water shoes were brilliant especially going down the ladder which I may add is very well maintained and sturdy. No signal almost right away so have your phone well charged so you can use the gps map!

Amazing day out. I’m a dog lover but I think is not nice to bring the dogs to the hot springs;(

Nice hike, but a lot of people. Bring water, there is very little shade. Do it counter clockwise.

I love it. Hot water 3 pools

Amazing!!!!!! Did it clockwise as others had said.

I suggest following it left and do the loop clockwise. Make sure to bring all appropriate items to take a dip in the hot springs as it was a great destination to relax and enjoy the water. If you’re doing the loop, either way, you will have to go through the pools. They were thigh deep on me (I’m 5’3”). The canyons, hot springs and Colorado river provide great views! Longer hike that I wish I brought a few cliff bars on. Key items I suggest you bring include the hiking basics along with a change of clothes, water shoes and a wet bag.