Arch Canyon - Boulder Overlook

Arch Canyon - Boulder Overlook is a 1.1 mile out and back trail located near Lukeville, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until April.

Flowers were blooming when I hiked this trail today, so it was incredibly beautiful. At the terminus is an unmaintained trail marked by cairns that threads its way up Arch Canyon. I went up this trail for about 15 minutes, but it doesn't seem to reach the back side of the arch. I assume it connects with the nearby Bull Pasture trail, but I can't confirm this. Next time - when it's not 90+ degrees - I'll check it out!

Arch Canyon trail is an easy out and back trail about ..6-.8 mile one way. If you decide to go up to the arch and on to Boulder Overlook it becomes much more strenuous. Either way, it is beautiful!

So, there are some discrepancies on the distance of this trail. The NPS map shows only the maintained sections which is marked .6 miles one way (out and back) but there is an extension...an unmaintained primitive trail which starts at the "steep trail" warning sign. I have no idea how far up it is to the top of the mountain but another site claims it's 4 miles (roundtrip) with a 900-1100 foot gain in elevation.

The first .6 miles is relatively easy-moderate but I'd rank the primitive trail as moderate to strenuous. Additionally, the trail gets a little tricky to follow, even with the cairns, and requires scrambling up some kinda steep rock. The trail seems to dissipate as well so be aware of your landmarks.

Views are fantastic BUT you cannot get to the arch. As a matter of fact, we were only able to find a tiny side trail that offered a very limited side view from about 200 yards away. We couldn't figure out any way to actually get to the arch. Still a challenging hike and the views are grand.