Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Alamo Canyon via Picket Post and Arizona Trail

Alamo Canyon via Picket Post and Arizona Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Superior, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 751 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I really enjoyed this hike. I was in Phoenix on business and wanted to hike a little bit of the Arizona Trail. This hike did not disappoint. I saw plenty of lizards, rabbits, and various bugs including many Tarantula Hawk wasps. The prickly pear cacti are in bloom and were looking very nice. I was hoping to see a rattlesnake but did not see any.

This Alamo trail was a bit strenuous in the heat at the end of March. It was my first time hiking a portion of the Arizona Trail, so that was kind of neato. Views of Picketpost are scenic. The trek was a little goofy because we encountered a super feisty rattlesnake on the trail. After scaling off trail to avoid the snake, we had a second weird experience. With no provocation, a huge steer decided to CHARGE us. That mini-crisis was averted by standing my ground and causing a ruckus, waving my arms and yelling. Most cattle I’ve encountered-on the trail or in a pasture- are pretty docile, so this was odd in a kind of funny after-the-fact way.

This was my first time section hiking the AZT. This was one beautiful hike. I went about 9 miles total out and back. I would call this an easy hike if you’re a pretty seasoned hiker. I don’t know why this doesn’t have more 5 star reviews. I seen a cardinal, a few hummingbirds, some deer, and lots of wild cows. Tons of wildlife added to the beautiful scenery. This is of course lightly trafficked being that it’s a section of the AZT. Didn’t see any thru hikers but did see some trail magic at the trail head which was pretty cool. Would definitely come back and do another section!

Definitely enjoyed this trail and will be back to do another section of the Arizona Trail very soon! The trail is maintained and markers are accurate. There was a water cache for thru hikers and section hikers there when my fiancée and I went. For all the thru hikers and section hikers, there’s definitely a trail angel looking out for you around that section.

This is a great trail, lots of scenery. It is best to go from right side southside around the mountain to the north side. The southside is exposed to the sun I recommend not leaving that way after 70° temperature. Alternatively start on the northside go halfway and turn around. Cooler side with shade trees. Approximately half ways there’s a spot called the lake. Enjoy! There a section on the trail that is not followed by the map be careful and follow others path. It seems the trail follows the river bottom.

This is not a review of the trail(s) in the title. We chose the Alamo Canyon Rd fire road that runs somewhat parallel to the trail. See our recording for more info.

Friday, May 25, 2018