Airport Loop Trail

Airport Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 416 feet Route Type: Loop

Great little warmup trail arriving in sedona. Took us about 1:30 total.

Excellent trail for beginners and families with smallish children (7 and up.). Great views both sunrise and sunset.

End of the runway is very rocky!! My toes are not thanking me now! Rest of trail was worth it! Lightly traveled for a late Sunday afternoon!

Wonderful Morning Hike. This trail encompasses all the notable rock formations in Sedona.

recorded Airport Loop Trail

The views of the rocks surrounding Sedona were marvelous on the first half of the trail. The trail is very close to the edge of the rim during the first half, so I would not recommend this for young children. The second half of the trail is very rocky; you really have to watch your step. We lost the trail during the last mile, but eventually found the road and walked back to our parking spot.

Really glad I did this trail. It offers really nice panoramic views. It’s relatively flat because it just goes around the Mesa. I went Sunday afternoon and only encountered one other hiker!

Great way to see the red rocks of Sedona from a lot of different angles. You can park at the airport and hike down to the starting place marked here if needed. Not a lot of elevation changes otherwise.

Did this hike this Monday morning around 10am. It was very sunny with no shade so wear sunblock! The hike was very nice and not too busy. We took our time and took lots of nice pictures! Found the hike to be on the easy side. I was not wearing hiking shoes and poles are not needed either. Enjoy

Limited parking at the trailhead. Go to the scenic overlook up by the airport and park for $3. You can catch the Sedona trail down the loop, adding .6 miles each way.

great views! Not an easy hike for a couple of 60- something guys. Took us almost 3 hours, but lots of photo stops!

Completed the full loop and the Summet train starting at Sunset Drive. Relatively easy hike. I had my 3 month old son in a carrier and had no issues. Felt a bit longer than 3 miles.

Gorgeous views! But quiet a lot longer than noted here, our trackers showed about 5.5 miles total. Also one spot along the way forks and is not well marked. Totally worth it though for the views! Just prepare for a few hours.

Trail was narrow and very uneven rocky terrain. Had to stop to actually enjoy views. Still loved it and would definitely do again. Almost went off trail but had hiking app to keep us on track.

Fun easy trail with a few splits, I would recommend taking a picture of the trail map at the trail head. The trail head has limited parking (10 ish spots) and is very popular So I would plan accordingly if I went again.

I would start your hike going clockwise which would give you great views for the first half of the hike. the remainder of the hike is very unexciting so I would turn around and go back making it an in and back hike.

Moderate hike around the Mesa, a gradual ascent and descent. We went an hour before sunset and got beautiful views 360 views of the surrounding rock formations. There are a few parking spaces at the trailhead/airport Mesa, but they are often full throughout the day. The wait isn’t long because most people park there to take pictures and then leave.