Airport Loop Trail

Airport Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would not categorize this as "easy" . The rocky trail, narrow in some areas with steep drop offs, seems to instead fit more accurately under "moderate" . If you have a fear of heights, don't go on this one since the trail does hug a steep cliff--- just for a short time--- but enough to be a problem for those with balance problems or fear of heights. Otherwise, nice trail, scenic views.

Across the Street from the trailhead is a scenic overlook that is worth the time! The trail however, is very rocky for trail running and I felt the rock plates in my shoes had to work overtime.
I did connect to the Bandit Trail and that took me to Old Post trail. Old Post Trail is the best running trail I’ve been on to this point.I did some time on Old Post before returning. There is a small parking lot at the beginning of airport trail loop and because of the viewpoint, it was very busy.

Ended up doing a 6 mile hike since we started our loop from the upper parking lot ($3 or $5 parking fee, can’t remember)..it was worth the hike because you got a 360 view of sedona! Beautiful! At times it was piercing quiet and that was an amazing thing to experience! Lots of cactis and pretty flat for most of the hike. We did a late hike - started at 4 pm ended at 6 pm and it was pitch black by the time we got to our car, had to use flashlights. Stargazed to end our hike on top of our car! It was perfect.

Pretty boring and the sights are basically the same thing you can see if you drove to the top of airport road, no reward at the end of the hike, wouldn't do it again, wouldn't tell anyone to do it either. This was my first hike in Sedona and I'm extremely disappointed.

Easy trail with some beautiful views.

I would rate this trail as pretty easy. There is not much shade as was said, so if you go in the morning I would recommend going clockwise starting around the southeast side so you will get a little shade on the north side coming back. The best views are to the south and east so if you are not going to do the full loop I would still go that way. I gave four stars because you are hiking the entire time on a sloped gravel surface, not on red rock as is the case with so many of the other nice trails in the area.

This trail should not be rated as "Easy" but "Moderate. It is rated in the Moderate section of my other Trail Maps. When hiking this trail your elevation will change about 400 ft. and it is a rocky trail all the way around the Loop. There are lots of Prickly Pear Cacti along the way, and plenty of ups and downs. The north side of the Loop has some steep drop-offs and the trail gets narrow; watch your footing.

We chose this trail because we wanted to see the sunset...which was beautiful, BUT we should've just chosen to take the Sedona View Trail which begins/ends at the lower Trail Head and ends/begins at the Airport Parking Lot & upper Trail Head. Instead we continued on the Loop and ended up hiking this trail in the dark for about 90 minutes! Luckily, we had our flashlights and cell phones, but for safety reasons I advise to NEVER hike a trail in the dark.

We will go back tomorrow to check out the Summit Trail which is a short trail which heads north from the Lower Trail Head to experience the acclaimed Airport Vortex.

I do not recommend this trail for biking, but most areas are okay for trail running.

Happy Hiking!

Great hike, this was not "easy", I would say it's moderate. The views are great, if anything at least climb the Sumit at the start of the trail. Start the hike early, other wise you will be hiking in the hot sun, there is very little shade on the trail.

great views. pretty rocky