Airport Loop Trail

Airport Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice trail. Halfway around I came across a 5’ rattle snake on the trail in the morning. He coiled up and I went the other direction.

Sunset walk photo op

Take lots of water. It gets hot. You are in the direct sun most of the time. We hiked between 7:30-9am.

Easy to moderate loop with a few patches of shade here and there (moderate because of loose rocks). You get to see all of sedona from different points on the trail.

This was an ok hike, the first part was good views however as you came around the back they were fair, parking is limited.

We only walked from the upper viewpoint parking lot to the lower viewpoint parking lot. My recording recorded only one way. The one way plus the walking around we did at the lower viewpoint probably adds up to about 2 miles. We wanted to park at the first view point as you come up the hill, but it gets filled up early in the evening. I think it's free to park at the first lot, but I could be wrong. We parked at the upper parking lot, which had a $3 fee. From here, they prefer you to walk on the wooded trail to the lower viewpoint. It was a nice walk which we did to the lower view point in the daylight and back in the dark. We saw a deer in the woods too!! (Note everyone loves to come here to see the sunset. I think we did not come on the right day.. the sunset wasn't as colorful as previous days according to locals.)

Beautiful views along the trail.

Parked at the airport cost 3 dollars. .6 mile hike down to the airport loop and visited the vortex while there. Saw people in sandals having difficulties. I would rate this hike more moderate. Wear the right shoes, take water, all the additions about 4 to 5 miles. Weather changes rapidly. Started about 88 to ninety degrees finished with thunderstorms and hail! About 3 hours for seniors.

Not the best in Sedona but a fun relaxing one

Had a blast! Totally enjoyed the view and got amazing pictures!

Good hike for the family. There were scenic views once we reached the vortex. The trail itself only offers views of the town, thus the 3 stars.

Amazing views from all sides! I’d categorize as a moderate trail and make time for several breaks if you’re with inexperienced hikers (especially during warm temperatures). The distance was more than expected.

Great morning hike however this has some more intermediate areas and our mileage was over 4 miles!

Gorgeous views but not Easy, should be classified as Moderate.

I agree with the other reviews, this is not a easy hike. It really is more moderate. The trail is rocky and easy to lose your footing. Limited shade. Poorly marked. Make sure you leave out early and hike the loop clockwise to avoid the direct sun. It does have fairly good views of Sedona overall. But I wouldn’t hike it again or recommend it to anyone.

Great trail from start to finish. Go early and take water. Very little shade on the cliff face but the opposite side by the road has plenty.

I revise my rating up to 5 stars because the trail since winter dried out and is much better. Did two loops today in record time.

Easy hike, some solid views in several locations

We thought we were getting there early but when we pulled up at 7 am on a Sunday we were lucky to get the last parking spot. I think many of the cars were for people going to Sedona summit rather than the airport trail. The trail is easy to follow and not difficult. There is very little shade so I would definitely recommend going early or late in the day during the warmer months.

Parking is very limited but we got there early enough to score a spot! Very challenging for my Midwestern blood but the views are breathtaking! The summit is heavenly.

Want the BEST red rock views with spectacular panoramic views? THIS IS THE HIKE!! SUPER easy to access from downtown Sedona...parking is the only drawback, definitely NOT a secret!

Beautiful view but there are other places around here that is much much more worth your time! However it is a very easy trail to start with!

Stunning views and is slightly more challenging than easy. The only downside is about the last mile is above a residential neighborhood. Definitely worth doing though.

a real nice hike. on the harder side of easy but it was very enjoyable. The views were breathtaking. highly recommend!

An easy trail from which to see nearly all the red rocks

Very scenic, easy and not crowded if you go in the evening. Wrapped up hike right before sunset.

It was pretty good. Nothing too crazy. It’s close to a vortex as well.

I like others also consider this closer to moderate. If you throw in the Tabletop Trail side trail then moderate for sure.

Biggest obstacle is parking. I use the Bandit Trail which gives a little more elevation as well as some other parking options that only locals seem to know about. There are 4-5 spaces in the parking lot at Tom Lawler Plumbing.

A very scenic trail, probably the most scenic in all of Sedona. I’ve done it about 5-6 times over the years. Great views of Cathedral Rock on the southeast side. Even better views if you opt to add a mile to your hike by taking the Tabletop Trail.

The trail itself isn’t that bad in terms of foot traffic. Just get there early for parking.

this is not an easy trail. moderate for sure. 3.6+ miles around the airport hill. very rocking and uneven footing. long up and down grade sections. on a 80° day bring plenty of water. absolutely great views of cathedral rock, bell rock, the souther landscape and the northern landscape. best place to park is half way up the road below the scenic lookout but there are only about 12 spaces. if you park up at the scenic viewing lot you must walk 1/2mi down and back to the trailhead. in addition the short peak trail at the begining is a sideline not to miss!