Agua Caliente Hill Trail

Agua Caliente Hill Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was really hot. I drank all my 2 liter of Mt. Dew and was really thirsty, and I didn't have any Sour Patch Kids

Kicked my butt. Rocky, great elevation, but not the most scenic trail. No shade, best to do in cooler months.

Great dog friendly trails with beautiful views.

I thought long and hard about how to rate this trail- 7.5 hours to be exact. That's how long the whole thing took me.
I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do hike 6-8 mile "intermediate" trails several times a week. This "hill" kicked my ass! Going up was slow, going down was slower (sometimes literally scooting down on my butt). The terrain is frequently steep, loose rocks. The views however are great! An 8 mile intermediate hike will typically take me 2.5 hours, to put into perspective how challenging this trail is!
If you decide to summit this"hill" (and seriously don't let the name fool you) make sure to bring food, more water than you think you'll need and sunscreen. Start early and if possible go on a cool day- definitely not in the summer! There is almost no cover.
4 stars because it's not the hill's fault that I bit off more than I could chew, but definitely be aware that this hill deserves some respect!

The trail was a good challenge, but there was alot of people out on the trail.

This is by far my most frequent hike as I literally live next door and it's only a few minutes to the trailhead. I have hiked to the summit and have also connected to the Aqua Caliente Loop Trail at the fork, before heading up to the summit. If I don't have too much time, I will only hike to the cattle pond.

The summit hike can be difficult, especially the last mile. Definitely not a hike for the summer months. At the summit the view are spectacular. 360 degrees. The terrain changes from cacti to grassy areas to cottonwoods. You will find a jar at the summit filled with note pads and pens. Hikers leave poems or little inspirational notes.

All Trails says that it is a 9 mile hike. My Apple Watch records it as a little over 10 miles.

Beautiful and challenging

the hardest thing about this hike is the HEAT. Somehow even as the trail seals back and forth along peaks, there is zero coverage and shade is far and few between so plan to hike in the morning because a cool winter 60 degree day easily feels like 90 degrees. Other than that this hike is so much fun and very diverse in terms of foliage as you make your way up. The view from the top is fantastic! Also, i was able to take my dog to the end but the scramble will be difficult to medium and small dogs and the lack of shade is killer so don’t bring less than a gallon of water for the both of you

Great views! Steep at the top, whew!

Hard trail for sure,, awesome views from every point especially at the very top!! My phone died just before the end so it was a little over 9 miles total!!! Will do again for sure!!

Awesome trail...challenging but well worth the view at the top. Bring more water than you think you need.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great trail.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

I've only done the first 3 or so miles- never stops going up.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

One of my favorite hikes. Pretty challenging, mostly up hill. The trail continues after you reach the summit but I didn't continue after that point.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Beautiful views and flowers ever were my dogs loved it did ware them out very quickly but was a blast went 6 miles total

Sunday, March 05, 2017

This trail is absolutely awesome, just make sure you bring a decent amount of water and sun block bc there is no cover out there.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Great for hiking with a dog. Beautiful views.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

This is my all time favorite hike. Safe. Do-able paths. Gorgeous views

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

I had bushwhacked this peak from Redington Road about 15 years ago. That was more exciting. But this is a good trail. Of course, November through March are best, though the AT description indicates otherwise.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Excellent trail -- last mile or so to the summit is steep! Not the trail to hike in the hot sun! Lots of different and interesting terrain.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Definite wildcat territory at the summit. Great wildlife: Gila monster, Tortoise, and a Gray Hawk!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Nice easy trail! Great to just relax

Monday, May 02, 2016

Just keep going. Follow the signs. Awesome view. Sign in at the top. Someone left a container there years ago. It is all of 4.5 miles one way also.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Loved it!!

Friday, April 15, 2016

It was OK. Went with a hiking club.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Good time to be out in the saguaro jungle. Flowers are just starting to bloom, temperature is temperate, breeze is cool, people and dogs are friendly. Our only hiccup was reading the All Trails map literally, a 4.5 mile hike; actually 4.5 miles up and 4.5 miles back. Ran into another couple using the all trails app who was similarly confused. Won't make that mistake again.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

What an amazing day to experience this trail, April 1st. The colors included lots of oranges with every Ocotillo in full bloom, desert poppies, little purple flowers were abundant and many more. The greens were deep and vibrant. The hike was difficult but worth it. 360 views at the top, glad I was able to take my time and enjoy.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Fun trail with lots of steep hills to climb, does not get boring.

Friday, March 25, 2016

I went on this hike at the end of January (2016) and it was a lot of fun! There was a pool of water that the dogs got to trek through. It was perfect for the dogs, we took them off leash for majority of the time (which means there were not that many people). The last .5 is hard! Bring lots of water and don't be surprised if it gets a little caliente!