Acer Summit Via Mormon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(782)
South Mountain Preserve

Acer Summit Via Mormon Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 744 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take Mormon Trail to the highest nearby point accessible by trail. Acer Summit takes it's name from the Latin word meaning sharp and strong and gives a nice sense of achievement with gorgeous views.

What an interesting trail! So many beautiful rock formations and such a different experience than the usual gravel type trails around Phoenix. There is a section of trail near Hidden Valley Tunnel where I had to slide down on my behind on a large smooth rock since I’m not very stable jumping, but what fun! Shimmying thru Fat Man’s Pass was also so much fun! I’m pretty bad at directions so The AllTrails app really helped me find the trail in some areas where the large rocks obscured the views of the trails. I hiked in the afternoon (90F) and there was barley anyone on the trail due to the heat - the solitude amongst the rocks was wonderful! But I can imagine that these trails will be packed during cooler weather since it’s so accessible. This is definitely one of the most memorable trails I’ve done in the Phoenix area! A must do.

Beautiful trail! You get a good workout to start going up the morning trail where you will catch most of your incline. I went the tunnel route so I could climb up the rocks on the loop. Beautiful!

This is a great hike that isn’t too hard and the perfect distance. 4.2 miles but we did venture off the trail to explore and take photos. Amazing views, tunnels, and Fat Man’s Pass was a great photo-op. I will definitely be going Back to this hike!!

Trail is longer than 3.4. I would also recommend taking the right-at the loop. Fat mans pass and the tunnel were fun. We started at 80* and when we finished it was 92*.

Great workout we did this trail with Mormon valley trail

Hiked Mormon trail plenty of times but never made it to hidden valley tunnel. The path by hidden valley tunnel is overgrown with plants but overall a good workout.

The trail was an easy hike and the map is very accurate. Follow the trail posts and you won’t be lost.

Great for intermediate hikers! there are lots of Rocky outcroppings and fat man's pass is shady and cool. The trail is vague in a couple places but a fantastic trail

I gave this trail a 4 because of the steady upwards climb in the beginning and also for the large rocks that are abundant on the trail. I loved looking at the Ancient Lava Flows throughout this hike and just wondering to myself the violence that this area must have went through as it was forming. Overall a good hike that certainly challenged both the muscles and heart rate!

We loved going off the trail we climbed the rocks for more of a hike feel - just be careful of coarse. A lot of different options doing it that way

Really nice hike - varied terrain, nice rock formations, some scrambling to make things interesting, some beautiful wild flowers along the way, and friendly hikers and bikers. We were here early afternoon on a Thursday and not at all crowded. A good time.

Nice trial just south of Phoenix with expansive views. Moderately technical with rocks and some climbing sections throughout. Connects to the South Mountain Trail System for a day full of fun!

Excellent moderate hike. 2 hours at a moderate pace. As others have noted, not well marked but well traveled.

Fun hike. Some cool things to see like a tunnel and involves some climbing and crawling. Moderate climb. Brought the dog and two kids. Worth while.

This was a great trail. When we transition over to the hidden valley trail to Fat Man's Pass, there are a lot of slippery rocks to climb.

We made a detour to check out another area. Didn't start recording until we turned back to head to our originally destination of Hidden Valley Tunnel so our numbers should be double and el cation gain closer to 900+. When we got to the tunnel we climbs some rocks and had a picnic up top. Laid back with an ice cold beer and enjoyed the views and accomplishment. It was on the difficult side of moderate, great workout!

This was a great trail- a good variety of terrain and surroundings. I just wish people would clean up after their dogs- poop and bags of poop throughout the trail. Sad. C’mon guys.

Dog friendly, quite busy in the morning but hidden valley is amazing!

Short hike with my pup! Beautiful views of the city. Gorgeous during sunset. Will be back :)