Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail

Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Flagstaff: Take US 89 north for 14 miles to FR 418. Go west on FR 418 for 7 miles to FR 9123J (about one mile east of Reese Tank). Go south on FR 9123J for 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

Beautiful trail! The aspen forests were so dense and unique at certain parts of the trail.. Had many chipmunks and woodpeckers along with the decent.Visual eye candy with so many different micro-ecosystems. Had a little bit of altitude sickness on closer to the top. Amazing hike!.

Amazing trail! Did Abineau to Bear Jaw, I’d do it backwards next time. From the end of the waterline to about halfway back to the start of the trail, Bear Jaw is steep, narrow and covered in gravel and small rocks making the way down pretty rough. Otherwise though, gorgeous hike and the perfect length. And! In the peak of the fall season, the trail was nearly empty!

I went with my friends October 5th. Beautiful with the colors. We thought it was more of a difficult hike because of the elevation gain. We went clockwise with this trail. I would do bear jaw again. I didnt care for Abineau trail because it was very narrow in some parts and coming down that trail there was a lot of gravel which made it more difficult to manage.

Great hike amazing view at the top!

Took the Abineau trail first. It was pretty much a steady incline after the first half mile or so. Had to stop often towards the top because of the altitude. Great view at the top. The trip down Bear Jaw saw harder than expected because of rocks and roots along the steepness of the trail.

My recording showed us a mile over what the trail is listed as. Took the pup and she had a great time- there were a couple others off leash as well. Trek counter-clockwise to knock out the incline first and have a slow descent back to the trailhead, or clockwise for the opposite. There are a number of logs across the trail that can be easily walked over or around. There is some sun exposure, but if you go early it feels pretty nice.

My favorite aspen grove in all of Arizona.

This is the second time we have done this hike. It was great both times! This time we had some light rain and the trail was fantastic for us and our 2 pooches!

Beautiful hike!! Definitely a challenge at times. A word of warning: I used my phones GPS to guide me to the trail, before I reached the trailhead my phone told me to park my car and walk to the destination, which I did. This turned out to not be necessary. The road I walked up was rough but not so rough my car wouldn’t have safely driven it. Go slow and drive up to the trailhead, there is a nice parking lot in the dirt.

Fun trail. Plan on at least 4 hours. We took Bear Jaw to the Waterline Road, then Abinau back. Not sure if there is an advantage to going the reverse direction or not. The trail was a good work out and beautiful! Good choice!

Very nice hike. The initial climb is pretty tough, think i got some altitude sickness bc I could barely take 10 steps. But once you get to Waterline it’s really awesome and easy.

Great trail with high elevation parts

Went from Bear Jaw to Abineau. One of our favorite trails in Flagstaff, especially Bear Jaw portion. Many aspens, including old big ones. An added bonus is graffiti carved into the trees by Basque shepherds 50-100 years ago. Don’t really understand why so many people say Bear Jaw is hard to find as there is a big sign where the trail meets the road. The top third of Abineau is difficult with rubble and fallen trees from an avalanche 10 years ago. Great views where the road intersects with Abineau trail.

We did this back in June. Still a little icy area between the waterline and Abineau . We definitely loved Bear Jaw which was the first trail we decided to follow, gorgeous views, vegetation, the aspen pines beautiful, the birds wouldn’t stop chirping, then we got to Abineau and everything changes, it is dry , rocky, and buggy, we did the whole loop and loved the experience. Took us about 4 hrs and almost forgot to add that people tend to have their dogs unleashed, so if you are not a dog person like me be prepared. Unfortunately I usually freeze when I see a big dog running towards me :)

This was a great trail that proved challenging and scenic. Rocky terrain much of the way but the view from the top is worth it. Recommend using your AllTrails map throughout to make sure you don’t miss the bear jaw turn off. We walked past it and didn’t know so i was glad I checked in.

This was a beautiful trail however I never found Bear Jaw coming from Abineau and ended up on waterline three miles off and having to hike three miles back (in rain and hail). Even on the way back I couldn’t find Bear Jaw and took Abineau back down, coming in at 11.8 miles. Definitely needs better signage for Bear Jaw, I see other reviews with the same mention.

Did this hike last week with a buddy. What great country these San Fran Peaks... We went right up the Abineau Trail, the steeper start to the Loop. It was never a massive incline, but boy was it a steady up that did increase grade toward the end. Some gorgeous views. Some clear climate changes, temp dropping with elevation. Good warm-up for other SF Peak hikes. At the top, you take what seems a forest service access road, which if you aren't keeping your head you will miss the Bear Jaw sign and keep walking by. We walked about 3/4 a mile past and ran into a family of four who had gone 3M past and come back saying we needed to turn around. Pulled out the Alltrails map and sure enough- they were right. They were also parched and in need of water. But we backtracked and got onto Bear Jaw- off the access road. Smooth sailing from there. Great country!

Initially took the trail to the right. You start hiking through beautiful stands of large coniferous and aspen trees; rather steep at times so I would almost rate this section as hard. Well worth it though, because halfway into the hike you get to see spectacular elevated views through a forest clearing.

This trail is a favorite. You can go up Bear Jaw first or tackle the faster elevation gain of Abineau right off the bat, which seems to be the preference of a lot Flagstaff area hikers. I would rate the Abineau climb more difficult, than moderate. Still a bit of snow up there last week. Enjoyed the heck out of this hike, as usual, even took a detour on Waterline to add in some more miles. Made it an 11 mile loop.

Beautiful trail. The views are killer when you get to the saddle, especially with the snow (as of 6/14/19). The trail was buried in a few spots, but if you download the map, then you should be fine. If you’re not used to the elevation, it’s impactful.