Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail [CLOSED]

Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail [CLOSED] is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Directions from Flagstaff: Take US 89 north for 14 miles to FR 418. Go west on FR 418 for 7 miles to FR 9123J (about one mile east of Reese Tank). Go south on FR 9123J for 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

steep but worth the effort, beautiful views and forests. leave early to avoid monsoons

Everything Lisa Abe wrote in her review is spot on. I went up the Abineau side and got stopped by monsoons about 2 miles in (and ~1150 ft up) but it had the beginnings of a great outing!

(Thanks for the extra help with the directions! I see 9213J clearly notated in the written directions “from Flagstaff” under this trail but I used the link to google maps and it does not get you all the way to the trailhead. Your notes were super helpful.)

This hike is open now! I started at a quarter to 6 this morning and didn’t see a soul. I went up Abineau and down Bear Jaw. Since the trail just reopened they haven’t had time to clear up a few fallen trees. They are passable but take caution as you do. I’m glad I went the route I did but the views would’ve been better had I done it the reverse. I saw a ton of deer and even a 6 Point buck (I think that’s how you say it). Very neat! The drive in is fine on the dirt road (I have a low clearance vehicle) but gets dicey when you see the turn off to go onto 9123J. My gps wanted me to continue on 418 but there is a sign that clearly directs you to turn onto 9123J. There are some spots to park immediately on 9123J if you don’t feel like driving on the slightly hairier (big rocks and some puddles but nothing my car couldn’t clear) road but it’ll add about 1.5 miles (round trip). I loved the views here and was glad I went early as the monsoon clouds started rolling in as I was finishing around 9.

The trail was closed

Still snow at the top of Abineau. Hard to connect to the rest of the trail.

Great trail. Started on the abineau side. The altitude kicked my ass but the workout was awesome. 2.8 ascent up rocky terrain. Trail was beautiful and the avalanche damage was pretty cool to see. Still some golden leaves on the aspen but missed it by about a week. They looked awesome surround the trail itself though. I got in at 8:30 finished by 11:40. When I got there, there were three other cars, when I left there were at least thirty.

I loved this hike!

The Abineau side was tough but worth it :)

Long hike! But so worth the drive and time. It had amazing views and gorgeous fall colors!

Fun trail. A moderate 2.5 mile incline on the Abineau Trail, then a 2 mile flat walk along the top of the canyon, then a 2.5 mile descent on the Bear Jaw Trail. Very rocky on the ascent and descent. Great views from the top. A lot of downed trees on the Abineau side. The Bear Jaw side was much prettier, with a lot more green and more wildflowers.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

A shorter drive from Flagstaff, albeit likely rougher road and only for AWD, is to go north on SR 180 to SECOND TURNOFF for FR 151 at mile marker 235. Right on FR 151 x 1.6 miles, left on FR 418 for a little over 3 miles; right on FR9123J and take this 0.5 miles to trailhead.
Nice loop trail if you don't mind walking on the dirt Pipeline Road for a while. Terrain on Abineau was loose in some parts and it's much steeper than Bear Jaw so I prefer to go up A, down B. There is also more shade on Bear Jaw. Only saw 1 other hiker out there.
Took me about 3.5 hours.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Thursday, August 03, 2017

I went up Bear Jaw and down Abineau which is apparently the opposite that most people take. I haven't hooked in a while do I'm glad I did because the decline on the way down Abineau was much more do then the incline on Bear Jaw.
Bear Jaw is the section with all the pines and has this cool trainee you go through. The second half, going down, was a bit boring for the first mile as there wasn't much to see and it was sr steady walk on a road. then you get to the wild flowers and really start descending then it's enjoyable again.
I home two miles an hour and it took me about 3 1/2 hours round trip. brought my pups too, they loved it

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Hard trail. Worth it though. Make sure to bring enough water. I prefer going up bear jaw.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Hiked up early and was tough but Better going up Abineau trail first for steepness. Would be harder to come down that way! Glad we started early ! Tough hike but worth it !

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fabulous hike! Started up the steeper side, Abineau, and well worth it!! Much prefer the counter clockwise loop! Trail at the top was hiding under some snow, but found it to connect to Waterline over to Bear Jaw. Great 7 miler.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Hiked on May 28th and loved every moment of it. The trail is steep on the way up but beautiful views at the top. A little more snow that anticipated and had to search for the trail while hiking up on the Abineau side. Took about 4 hours for the loop.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Just went and got lucky that the gate leading to 515 was unlocked but unfortunately this time of year the gate is supposed to remain closed until the snow melts in a month so heads up! Besides having to park 2 miles from the trailhead because of snow, it was a beautiful but somewhat steep trail. Could see this being even better in a month or so.

Monday, October 17, 2016

My girlfriend and I didn't start the hike until 1:40p.m. We started the Abineau Trail first. Which was probably I believe the best way to start. I wanted the incline done first before descending down on the backside of Bear Jaw Trail.
Even though we are late to see the early stages of Autumn through the trail. There were plenty of scenery to see throughout the loop. At this time of the year. The weather is obviously a lot cooler. Today was really windy and cold going up. I wouldn't change it for what it's worth to see. By the time we got back to the trailhead. The time was 5:15. I would definitely hike the trail again in the future.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Beautiful views. We started with Abineau trail first. This seemed easier to climb up with the dog rather then going down. It is steep and somewhat rocky. Weather was amazing and the fall colors were just great. We also saw many deer towards the end of the hike/day. The hike took over 5 hours with lots of stops to take pictures. Recommend driving out in a truck or SUV that can handle the dirt roads. AWD came in handy for me.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Nice trail however I never saw anything said about the drive to the trail. Plan on being on a gravel rd for a few miles with jagged rocks in place that are hard to not have to go over. We busted a tire.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Excellent, I recommend turning right at the sign-in log and going up the Abineau side and down the Bear Jaw side. I say this because of the open exposure to some pretty gusty winds the last 500' of the hike up Abineau and you'd probably rather be going up into them on the tight trail.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Great trails!! Beautiful hike, gorgeous views from the top of Abineau, cooler weather (70s), wild raspberries, only 5 other people on the trails today. We went Abineau to Bear Jaw, either way is a steep climb. Loved it!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful hike! Very scenic trail. The elevation was a bit rough but worth it for the views. Definitely a hike for experienced hikers.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Awesome trail. I think it is the best in AZ!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great hike. Not many people on the trail. Only saw 5-6 people for the whole hike. Great views from the top out to the Grand Canyon. I recommend going up on Bear Jaw and down on Abigneau.

Friday, July 08, 2016

We went at a bad time, middle of summer after an incident, a lot of burned and cut trees. Still saw Elk and Cattle!

Thursday, July 07, 2016

The Directions button takes you to the beginning of Road556 which is nowhere near the trailhead. We ended up hiking Sunset instead because we didn't want to drive to the other side of the peak.

Monday, May 30, 2016

lots of snow on trail, hard to find way down. Bring a hiking stick, very steep at points. Lots of fun

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Challenging trail. Beautiful Views! We were the only two people on trail the entire day! Was glorious!

Saturday, November 08, 2014

Great loop hike. Trails good even with a trace of snow. Nice views of Kaibab Plateau at top. To get to trailhead, I found forest roads from US 180 better than FRs from US 89.