Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail

Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1965 feet

Directions from Flagstaff: Take US 89 north for 14 miles to FR 418. Go west on FR 418 for 7 miles to FR 9123J (about one mile east of Reese Tank). Go south on FR 9123J for 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

A shorter drive from Flagstaff, albeit likely rougher road and only for AWD, is to go north on SR 180 to SECOND TURNOFF for FR 151 at mile marker 235. Right on FR 151 x 1.6 miles, left on FR 418 for a little over 3 miles; right on FR9123J and take this 0.5 miles to trailhead.
Nice loop trail if you don't mind walking on the dirt Pipeline Road for a while. Terrain on Abineau was loose in some parts and it's much steeper than Bear Jaw so I prefer to go up A, down B. There is also more shade on Bear Jaw. Only saw 1 other hiker out there.
Took me about 3.5 hours.

I went up Bear Jaw and down Abineau which is apparently the opposite that most people take. I haven't hooked in a while do I'm glad I did because the decline on the way down Abineau was much more do then the incline on Bear Jaw.
Bear Jaw is the section with all the pines and has this cool trainee you go through. The second half, going down, was a bit boring for the first mile as there wasn't much to see and it was sr steady walk on a road. then you get to the wild flowers and really start descending then it's enjoyable again.
I home two miles an hour and it took me about 3 1/2 hours round trip. brought my pups too, they loved it

Hard trail. Worth it though. Make sure to bring enough water. I prefer going up bear jaw.

Hiked up early and was tough but Better going up Abineau trail first for steepness. Would be harder to come down that way! Glad we started early ! Tough hike but worth it !

Fabulous hike! Started up the steeper side, Abineau, and well worth it!! Much prefer the counter clockwise loop! Trail at the top was hiding under some snow, but found it to connect to Waterline over to Bear Jaw. Great 7 miler.

Hiked on May 28th and loved every moment of it. The trail is steep on the way up but beautiful views at the top. A little more snow that anticipated and had to search for the trail while hiking up on the Abineau side. Took about 4 hours for the loop.

Just went and got lucky that the gate leading to 515 was unlocked but unfortunately this time of year the gate is supposed to remain closed until the snow melts in a month so heads up! Besides having to park 2 miles from the trailhead because of snow, it was a beautiful but somewhat steep trail. Could see this being even better in a month or so.

My girlfriend and I didn't start the hike until 1:40p.m. We started the Abineau Trail first. Which was probably I believe the best way to start. I wanted the incline done first before descending down on the backside of Bear Jaw Trail.
Even though we are late to see the early stages of Autumn through the trail. There were plenty of scenery to see throughout the loop. At this time of the year. The weather is obviously a lot cooler. Today was really windy and cold going up. I wouldn't change it for what it's worth to see. By the time we got back to the trailhead. The time was 5:15. I would definitely hike the trail again in the future.