Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail

Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Take US 89 north for 14 miles to FR 418. Go west on FR 418 for 7 miles to FR 9123J (about one mile east of Reese Tank). Go south on FR 9123J for 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

Great trail. Started on the abineau side. The altitude kicked my ass but the workout was awesome. 2.8 ascent up rocky terrain. Trail was beautiful and the avalanche damage was pretty cool to see. Still some golden leaves on the aspen but missed it by about a week. They looked awesome surround the trail itself though. I got in at 8:30 finished by 11:40. When I got there, there were three other cars, when I left there were at least thirty.

I loved this hike!

The Abineau side was tough but worth it :)

Long hike! But so worth the drive and time. It had amazing views and gorgeous fall colors!

Fun trail. A moderate 2.5 mile incline on the Abineau Trail, then a 2 mile flat walk along the top of the canyon, then a 2.5 mile descent on the Bear Jaw Trail. Very rocky on the ascent and descent. Great views from the top. A lot of downed trees on the Abineau side. The Bear Jaw side was much prettier, with a lot more green and more wildflowers.

A shorter drive from Flagstaff, albeit likely rougher road and only for AWD, is to go north on SR 180 to SECOND TURNOFF for FR 151 at mile marker 235. Right on FR 151 x 1.6 miles, left on FR 418 for a little over 3 miles; right on FR9123J and take this 0.5 miles to trailhead.
Nice loop trail if you don't mind walking on the dirt Pipeline Road for a while. Terrain on Abineau was loose in some parts and it's much steeper than Bear Jaw so I prefer to go up A, down B. There is also more shade on Bear Jaw. Only saw 1 other hiker out there.
Took me about 3.5 hours.

I went up Bear Jaw and down Abineau which is apparently the opposite that most people take. I haven't hooked in a while do I'm glad I did because the decline on the way down Abineau was much more do then the incline on Bear Jaw.
Bear Jaw is the section with all the pines and has this cool trainee you go through. The second half, going down, was a bit boring for the first mile as there wasn't much to see and it was sr steady walk on a road. then you get to the wild flowers and really start descending then it's enjoyable again.
I home two miles an hour and it took me about 3 1/2 hours round trip. brought my pups too, they loved it