AB Young Trail

AB Young Trail is a 3.7 mile out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sedona: Drive into Oak Creek Canyon to Milepost 383.3. The trail starts across the creek from Bootlegger Campground. After crossing the creek, a short climb will bring you onto an old road above the creek. The trailhead starts at the old metal sign which is within 300 feet of your crossing. From most crossings, the sign will be just downstream.

I did this trail as my own father's day present. It's amazing. You traverse so many different types of strata. You need to buy a $5 day pass at the entrance. It's random how you get to the trail head. Go down the steep stairs and cross the river. Then scramble to the trail just ahead. The trail is STRAIGHT up. It's 2.5 to the highest point and so worth it. Views for miles. The trail collapsed about 4 years ago so be careful. There is a rocky avalanche component that is about 6 switchbacks. The trail is also super overgrown at the top so you either need to be a good pathfinder (I went alone) or team up. Beware.

Still pretty overgrown in places, I didn't mind but the kiddo wasn't a fan. Didn't find the lookout tower but man, what a view!

I'm sure this is nice when the creek is passable but it was flooded due to a rain storm. In addition, the trail head is not really signed well. I eventually found it but couldn't continue because of the creek. Parking lot is bootlegger and you need a recreational pass.

Not a lot of shade but beautiful switchbacks up the mountain. Good steady climb all the way up.

August of 2016 - the trail was overgrown and in need of maintenance. Was wearing shorts so my legs were badly scratched up from the thorny brush I had to plow through. Once up to the rim, you find your way to the fire lookout tower and if you are lucky, their will be a park ranger keeping watch and will invite you up for a great view. I'd hike it again as it's a great workout, but only if I knew for certain the brush has been cut back.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Friday, July 01, 2016

I just ran this trail in 50 minutes. It was only a challenge because the trail is rocky and only about 12 inches wide with your legs brushing grass the whole way. The view at the top was well worth it though.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Great views but pay attention to the trail. Perhaps because of the recent fires, the trail isn't defined at times. In addition to this there seems to quite a large amount of bee activity around (began the hike at 8am) the switchbacks. They are to my knowledge harmless so just walk on by. The scenery makes up for this and once you reach the top you feel a huge sense of reward.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

06/15/2015,press release from the Forest Service: AB Young has reopened.

Thursday, June 04, 2015

The AB Young trail sustained significant damage in the Slide Fire and is currently closed: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/?cid=stelprdb5331631.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Great hike to a great view! Nice steady incline, not too taxing. The trail is narrow and rocky in spots...so steady footing is recommended.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Saturday, April 20, 2013

This trail is a refreshingly ass kicking hike! You will sweat, you will want to stop, you will love it. You cross Oak Creek and go up! That simple. The switchbacks are wide so it is never horribly steep, but my stomach got a little queezy looking down the hill at points ( A clumsy girl like me would fall then never stop) So watch your step. Some parts of the trail are rocky and slippery. I didn't see a single soul on this trail, just me and my happy pup. At the top I enjoyed the views, a juicy orange, and a strong sense of satisfaction. Look down on to Oak Creek, and North to the the snowy peaks in Flag! Keep your eye out for some friendly fisherman at the bottom who might offer you a cold beer!

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Yes, there really ARE 33 switchbacks on this trail. But I actually enjoyed every one of them. The trail itself, while climbing quickly, was never excessively steep, so I found the hiking very comfortable and the views amazing. This is definitely a trail that makes you feel like you're getting somewhere very fast. Just don't start counting switchbacks, or they might seem like they go on forever. But what a reward when you get to the top.