AB Young Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Munds Park, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,086 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sedona: Drive into Oak Creek Canyon to Milepost 383.3. The trail starts across the creek from Bootlegger Campground. After crossing the creek, a short climb will bring you onto an old road above the creek. The trailhead starts at the old metal sign which is within 300 feet of your crossing. From most crossings, the sign will be just downstream.

This review is for wildflower viewing in April/May. Unbelievable variety of wildflowers on the edge of Oak Creek Canyon. You will see tons of blooming wildflowers and shrubs in this area in May. Highly recommend if you love flowers.

Great work our and amazing views!

Amazing views! Definitely would rate this more difficult since it’s such an incline in a short amount of time, but definitely worth it. The creek at the end was exactly what we needed to end a hot hike! The recording tells you to go all the way to a tower but there’s no views there so we walked back and sat on a rock cliff overlooking some red rock. Loved it!

The views at the top are unreal. It’s closer to 6-7 miles round trip (I don’t think the distance on the app is correct), took me about 3 and half hours going at an average speed. It’s hard but not awful, bring plenty of water. Awesome hike

Hiked to Edge of the World

A pretty tough trail. The lookout tower at the top is cool. Trail is faint and obscured by fallen trees after you reach the rim.

My boyfriend and I loved this trail! We had a hard time getting across the creek at first because we followed the map to the left of the stairs, but that’s not the correct way to go. The best way across is to the right of the stairs a little bit, there was a small wooden sign with an arrow on a tree (that’s the best place to cross) and then another one across the creek pointing to the trial, and everything is clear from there on.

I climbed this trail in July. It was the wonderful experience I've had hiking. Tough, beautiful, and rewarding. I should have brought more water. I was a guest at Junipine Resort so I was able to start the trail on their property and avoid the water crossing. Lizards everywhere, did not see a snake. Saw one deer in the forest on the canyon rim. Can't wait to come back one day and do it again!

It’s definitely not as overgrown as people are indicating, but it is steep and unrelenting. If you’re in good shape it will take you under an hour to get up the switchbacks. The start of the trail is right across from the bootlegger picnic area and heads up to the right. If you can walk across rocks you can easily cross the stream.

Overgrown, washed out in some parts and skree graveled, bring walking poles and be careful, I got trapped in the thorned bushes and fell on the ice at the top where we just aborted the mission :p only marked in one confusion spot, Alltrails map don’t mark the beginning very well, the river crossing is a challenge, I am a short person so I fell in the water trying to jump from one rock to another, good thing I had an extra par of socks in my bag. The overgrown parts have lots of thorns so plan on wearing loose jeans, bring extra socks and extra pair of jeans if possible. Over all I fell 3 times, my chest got congested from being soaked by the river water and very worn out because it was difficult to find the trail and we have hiked 1 hour before really startling. Now I am at home eating warm soup with my husband

After crossing the stream using a log I had no idea where the trail was. Had to give up :(

If you are able to get to the top, not the easiest task with 2,100 feet elevation, you will be rewarded with beautiful views of 89A corridor and San Francisco peak. In addition you will see Wilson peak on the other side. Wear long pants, a lot of vegetation at the second part of the hike by the switch backs. Great work out, fully enjoyed it! I was able to do in 2:45 minutes but it was a push, count 3 hours plus.

fee

Tue Mar 26 2019

I’m sure this is a great trail, if you can find your way across the creek but there is no indication where it’s best to cross and given the water flow we decided to give it away after about 20 minutes of walking up and down he creek. Later we found a couple who had walked the trail. They advised, just get your shoes off and wade across the stream. So, if you are hiking this trail be prepared to wade the stream wherever you see fit then meet up with the trail on the other side.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Great spot for a winter day hike.

Fri Oct 26 2018

Trail is not well marked from Bootleg Day Use parking area to the connector trail across the creek and up on the ridge. The trail is a bit technical due to all the loose rock.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great trail for a solid workout in cool weather, cloudy day, early or late start in the hot months. From the Bootlegger Day Use Area in Oak Creek Canyon, you walk down steps to the Creek which must be crossed. After that, it’s all uphill for approximately 2 miles and 2000 feet of elevation gain. Once leaving the creek bed, there is no shade until you reach the plateau and conifer forest on the west rim. The trail is generally in very good condition and is easy to follow. As you gain elevation, the views rapidly improve. At the top, you will be rewarded with an excellent view to the south, looking down the canyon towards Sedona. To the north, you can glimpse the San Francisco Peaks north of Flagstaff. - I continued along the trail to the East Pocket Knob Fire Lookout Tower. This resulted in a 5.5 Mile round trip hike. The trail is easy at this point. My only complaint about this trail is that once you leave the Creek area and cannot hear the rushing water, you will hear the noise of traffic along Hwy 89A, until you reach the top of the ridge. There was no water after leaving the Creek.

Mon Jul 09 2018

A new favorite; I can't believe it's taken me so long to do this trail! Parking at Bootlegger's day use area seems to be the best, if not the only, option. There is no extra fee to park here, just the red rock pass is required ($5 daily, $15 weekly, $20 annual; can be bought on site). Crossing the creek proved to be pretty simple, it was finding the start of the actual trail that was difficult. There is a defined trail that runs along the creek. If you go down to the water straight from parking and cross the creek, the rusted metal trail sign will be south (walk along with the creek on your left; the trail sign will be on the right). Turning right at the trail sign, you begin the unrelenting incline all the way up to crest the Mogollon rim, elevation 7196 ft. From the trail sign to the lookout tower at the end, the distance is about 2.3 miles. Don't be fooled, this is 2.3 of constant switchbacks and almost 2,000 ft elevation change. The view in both directions gets more and more amazing with every switchback- across the red rocks of Sedona and the green ponderosas of Oak Creek Canyon and Flagstaff. Don't stop after the switchbacks, the trail continues through the high forest all the way to East Pocket, where it turns into forest roads at the lookout tower. If you're lucky, the ranger in the tower might let you up to check out the view, as I got to do. The hike down won't be as easy as you think- steep with lots of exposure, lose rocks, and overgrown shrubs. More lizards than I've seen on other trails, along with a herd of deer, neither will give you any trouble. Totally doable for anyone who has the desire to work for it, and absolutely worth it for anyone who can appreciate a view that is earned, not given. Hang out in the cool creek water afterwards!

Sun May 20 2018

Definitely a good morning hike! Only takes a couple of hours and your back down to enjoy the cold creek water

Wed Apr 04 2018

Friends of the Forest (Volunteer trail maintainers) have started brushing this trail. They started from the top and bottom and are working towards the middle.

Fri Mar 30 2018

Hard to find the start but worth it.

Mon Mar 19 2018

I feel moderate is on the conservative side 2000 foot elevation gain in 2 miles. was very very pretty and we had snow on top so I really like the hike

Thu Jan 11 2018

Beautiful area! Bootlegger's was great to cool off.

Fri Jan 05 2018

I recommend this trail during cooler months. The trail is exposed most of the day with only shade around Oak Creek and the top. Trail is rough and overgrown and recommend pants. Crossing Oak Creek can be challenging and I found best way upstream of parking trailhead. Great views from the top and recommend walking the trail up to East Pocket for views.