50 Year Trail

50 Year Trail is a 6.1 mile loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked the loop on 11/19/17. Great little hike with amazing views. Not really strenuous but some rocky sections/slanted trail if you have glass ankles. Saw a lot of mountain bikers and a few horses during the hike. I will advise to bring the AllTrails app or a good GPS with you as the trail is not marked well at all. Verizon coverage is good here. Several side trails to get lost on. I used the map on this app a lot to see where I was. Had to ask directions to find the trailhead. Fun day hike, bring plenty of water. No place to refill out there.

Omg, the trail markers on this trail are basically non-existent, which caused us to get totally off the trail. As we were walking through dried up river wash with NO idea where we were and realizing we were lost, my husband decided to walk towards the few houses that were remotely located. This meant crawling under a barbed wire fence and tresspassing on private property. I know, you are probably laughing right now.

Anyway, once we walked through NON-TRAIL terrain towards electricity poles and lines in the distance, we found the road which got us back to the trailhead parking lot (we only knew we were on the right track after asking a resident who was driving on the road).

We aren't idiots, so the fact that we got so lost makes me think that, unless you are familiar with this trail, you should SKIP IT. There were a lot of bikers on the trail when we first started out, but it's not like we could follow them to stay on course.

We will make sure that our next hike has reviews which mention decent trail markings (which seem to be few and far between in the Tucson area) or, if we feel like we have NO idea how to stay on a trail, turn back.

An amazing MTB trail. I recommend the Golder Ranch Advanced Loop and the Chutes.

The 50 year Upper 50 Year Trail is a really solid intermediate mountain bike trail. You bike here and feel like you are RIGHT next to the Catalinas. This trail is famous for "The Chutes" ...a windy curvy chute like grinder that is fast and furious. It can be scary. I really recommend what they call the Oro Valley Sensational Three of ...Honeybee Canyon, 50 Year Trail and Old Pueblo 24 hour courses. Check out The Arizona Bicycle Association's site at BikeTucson.com. There is an outfit that delivers and picks up bikes to these trails at tucsonbikerentals.org.

Hike along a low ridge- view of Catalina Mountains on one side, but view off the other side is lots of views of housing developments. Not my favorite hike in the area.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Friday, September 25, 2015

The areas premiere mountain biking network. Many more trails east higher in the hills adding tech and beauty to this network. Middle Gate, Upper Loop, Rattlesnake and many more trails. The Chutes is the areas most famous feature. Odd linear gullies and ridges carved by cows, motor cycles and bikes. May be 50 miles of trails here. Benn here many times, watch for cows and cactus.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

The chutes are the best part of this trail. Quite sandy in some spots so when you hit those spots it unnecessarily wipes you out making it hard to enjoy the rest of the trail. When I went it was quite hot. I recommend going in the early mornings.