Virgin Creek Falls

Virgin Creek Falls is a 0.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anchorage, Alaska that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Virgin Falls are in an amazing rain forest and the best part of this trail. With parental guidance children could easily hike the short distance to the falls. If you are into hiking with elevation, this is a good trail.

beautiful, but mosquitoes will carry you away, and slippery when wet

The water falls is beautiful. There’s lots of huge tall trees and awesome green scenery. The beautiful rain forest of Alaska.

Great little trail in Girdwood. Its at the very end of Timberline Road, which is the first right after the brewery on Alyeksa Hwy. The trailhead starts right next to private property so be sure to be respectful to those living in the area. The first part of the trail isn't really hard and only takes about 5 minutes to get to the waterfall. Great views and nice and easy there. Sit back and enjoy the sites and sounds. My kid, who is 2 years old was able to do this part with no issues. However, just to the left of the waterfall is a smaller goat trail which goes back for over a mile. It is a little steep and had lots of blown down trees. If you are willing to climb up and over all that the views through the woods near the stream are nice. My gps went a little crazy and only registered .4 miles round trip. It's only about .1 to the waterfall but like I said, the trail goes back over a mile.

I was born and raised in WA and have done plenty of hiking in UT, so I’m no stranger to snowy hikes. That being said, my Anchorage-raised cousin, his pug, and I enjoyed the hike (although I would absolutely love to see the falls without the snow). My only word of caution is that when the snow gets packed down and hard, it can be very slippery. Try walking on the of the trail in order to keep your footing. I would also highly recommend waterproof pants.