Twin Peaks Trail

Twin Peaks Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

The Twin Peaks trailhead can be reached by walking away from Eklutna Lake and crossing Thachkatnu Creek and heading up the mountain. The trail winds up the East Twin Peak at a fairly steep elevation for most of the hike. Views of Eklutna Lake can be seen for the entire hike; but doesn't really become worthwhile until you get above the tree line. There is a bench that overlooks Eklutna Lake, the surrounding peaks (West Twin Peak, East Twin Peak, Pepper Peak) and the Glacier. If you continue on past the bench using the trail goats, dall sheep, bald eagles, and bear are likely to be seen. Late in the summer berries of various sorts blanket the mountainside.

Good hike, mostly up hill. The trail is well kept and the views are great once you get to the top.There are some benches to rest about every mile. Defiantly bring your camera.

This trail is marked at the beginning of the trailhead as being 2.6 miles one way. I’m pretty sure this is referring to the distance to the second bench. I’ve done this trail 3 times the first two times the goal was always to the first bench which has an amazing view of Eklutna. This last time decided to continue on. The second bench has a great view of the twin peaks and we were lucky to be able to see lots of Dall Sheep on the peaks. We ended up following the trail to the right towards Pepper Peak to get another view of Eklutna. Round trip we did 6.40 miles (starting in the parking lot and ending in the parking lot) it took us 4 hours minus the time we spent at the benches and the top view. So glad we continued on for those views, they were worth it. This trail is all uphill and has some steep sections past the second bench. My legs are sore today. Don’t forget to wear sunblock and bug spray!!

Fun hike. We made it to the first bench and then home on a work night. It is very apparent that you gain elevation. The mosquitos, black flies and no-see-ums were annoying so definitely wear bug spray

Beautiful! Can be somewhat challenging if you’re not a hiker but totally possible and completely worth it. The view is amazing!!

This was a great trail ended with an incredible view. Hike up was well worth it.

We did the full trail yesterday. No snow on the trail and the trail is well kept. We were slightly surprised the trail doesn't actually go to the top of a peak instead there's a bench with a view of the peaks. The first bench has a great view of Eklutna lake.

This hike is a leg burner for sure. Trail is easy and well worn in, almost like a dirt road. Elevation gains nearly 1,000 ft a mile and the whole hike is uphill. You have to go past the 2nd bench and get the amazing lake view. If you go all the way it’s around 6.75 miles and nearly 2,500 ft elevation gain but it’s worth it.

Hiking this trail was a definite challenge for me. I thought I was in good shape. I was but not good enough. I will be doing this again. My suggestions are : bring plenty of water, pack light, eat before you go, have trekking poles, and bring a camera. The views are well worth it

I have to say hiking this trail is quite a challenge for me. It took me 1-hr to get from the trail head to the first bench, and another 45-min to get to the 2nd bench. I’m not in a great shape and not as young so my heart is not as strong as it used to be. The trail is mostly uphill. The good thing about that is you get to go downhill on the way back. I love the view from the first bench. There is no lake view at the 2nd bench. You’d have to hike higher up past the 2nd bench to see the view. I gave up at the 2nd bench, couldn’t go any further, but was told the view up top is very beautiful. There were a lot of mosquitoes along the trail and they didn’t care about the 40% deet I sprayed on my whole body from head to toe multiple times, they still hover around me the whole way. The second I stop moving, they’d eat me alive.

My husband and I loved this hike. If you have gone as far as the second bench, you really should head up the trail behind the bench to the overlook of the lake. Its not too terribly far and it's a fantastic view. Bring bug dope for the foresty part of the hike. Once you are out of the trees they aren't so bad. I think the "moderate" rating is accurate due to the constant incline until you reach the plateau above the second bench. Bring a lunch and enjoy!

Great views. Steep in some parts, but overall an easy and enjoyable trail. Did see a bear down at Eklutna Lake.

This is an amazing hike to the top. It is pretty vertical climbing almost 1000 ft a mile. Once you get to the second bench do stop there, continue up the trail to the right it’s well worth it. The views are amazing.

Excellent hike. The extra mile to summit past the second bench is well worth it for the view of of the lake. ~6.5mi roundtrip.

A leg workout but so worth it. The views are rewarding!

Sign at trailhead is misleading. I should have looked on here before hiking the trail. The description on here is correct. Trailhead says 2.6 miles, but forgets to mention distance listed is one way. My roundtrip GPS tracking was at approximately 5 miles with elevation gain of 1,956 ft. We turned around at the second bench. ALL uphill on the way out. Our legs felt like jello, but my 10 year old did great and kept up. Definitely a trail worth doing at least once. We saw about 50 Dall’s Sheep on the side of the Twin Peaks and the view of Eklutna Lake at the first bench is breathtaking.

Great Trail!! Path is easy to navigate and clear. Some good consistent inclines, but my 4 and 5 year old kept up without issues. Views are great!!

Great trail with beautiful views! Reasonable incline gets your heart rate going but it’s nothing too challenging. The “moderate” difficulty rating is accurate. The trail is well kept, and we ran into a lot of people (and their lovely dogs!) today. Still a bit of snow near the top, but nothing you would sink in to. Overall, a splendid hike!

Great trail, still lots of snow on the top. Heck of a workout

Great view of lake. Upper 1/4 of trail still covered in snow, but manageable. Good cardio challenge.

well maintained trail that is wide and gradually inclines from the trees to an amazing view of the lake.

Such a great hike! Pretty steep most of the way up. The first bench is definitely a good stopping point if you aren't in the greatest shape. Otherwise, go to the second bench. And if you're up for a real challenge and want the best view, continue on past the second bench to the mountain peak. It's less of a trail and more of a dirt/rock path but you'll know the way you're going. Such a fun hike with the BEST view at the end. Definitely worth the workout it gives you!

Just took the kids to the first bench. Decent incline, took it slow and steady.

beautiful view of the lake about half way through the trail and even better when you get to the top, beware the trail is pretty steep a lot of the way.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Challenging for a beginner. Definitely worth the next day soreness if you go to the top!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Beautiful views!!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Very difficult, steep climb. Worth it once you get to the top. My step tracker counted a 7 mile round trip from bottom to top and back down. Took about 4.5 hours with a good amount of rests. Pace yourself and you'll have a blast!

Monday, June 12, 2017

This was a pretty difficult hike with steep inclines; however, it's all worth it when you reach the top. The view of Eklutna Lake is incredible!

Monday, June 05, 2017

Nice wide trail with a steady climb, but not strenuous. If you are going for the view of the lake I suggest stopping at the first bench. Unless I missed something the second bench was more of a view of mountains. All in all a nice walk in the woods!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Amazing view of eklutna lake as you get above the tree line. Look for Dall sheep as you turn and hike toward the twin peaks. We saw 15 way off in the distance. Some steep parts but overall not too bad. The trail is well beaten with just a few places with loose rocks.