Twin Peaks Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,524 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Twin Peaks trailhead can be reached by walking away from Eklutna Lake and crossing Thachkatnu Creek and heading up the mountain. The trail winds up the East Twin Peak at a fairly steep elevation for most of the hike. Views of Eklutna Lake can be seen for the entire hike; but doesn't really become worthwhile until you get above the tree line. There is a bench that overlooks Eklutna Lake, the surrounding peaks (West Twin Peak, East Twin Peak, Pepper Peak) and the Glacier. If you continue on past the bench using the trail goats, dall sheep, bald eagles, and bear are likely to be seen. Late in the summer berries of various sorts blanket the mountainside.

Trailhead to the 1st Bench was pretty mellow, it is an all uphill walk. Beautiful view!!!! Great place to take a break for a light snack or lunch. Once you pass the bench it gets to be much more of an incline all the way to the 2nd bench. Views of the Twin Peaks are great from here and you can see quite a bit of wildlife, either Dall Sheep or Mountain Goats lots of pretty butterflies out right now too. If you go past the 2nd bench to Pepper Peak (just behind the bench) it seems so long and steep and you want to feel like you’re done and defeated but if you press on to the peak, the views are so worth it!! Stunning!!! Great hike, I would say moderate for the most part. (6/1/2020)

Great hike. It was pretty hot when we went so it was definitely hard. The first bench you reach has a pretty view of the lake, but I recommend going to the top if you can as the views are absolutely stunning.

Good trail. Moderate.

Absolutely stunning hike once you get near the first bench. We decided to push through and get the the base of pepper peak and WOW!! I’m so so so glad we did. I’ll go again once I get a few different hikes under my belt.

The view makes it worth it. It’s kind of steep and feels like it takes forever. Once y’all get to the second bench it’s not really a path anymore just following others peoples tracks.

I loved this trail. It was a great workout and with the most rewarding views. I went with my 2 dogs and they did great. My husband and I loved this trail. I can’t wait to get back out here!!

Still some snow off the trail. It was rainy and cloudy when we went but still beautiful. Trail was pretty dry for the most part with some muddy patches here and there.

They should name this "intro to uphill." Easy, wide, dry trail (a little tighter and steeper the very last portion after second bench). I recommend this trail to families and anyone wanting to begin their hiking season. Wildlife viewed included a black bear, ground squirrel, various birds including Wilson's Warblers, robins, chickadees and one I wasn't able to identify.

Great trail conditions the whole way, steep slope, kids loved it!

A view you have to earn, but so worth it!

Super gorgeous! If you can go all the way to the top, do it!

Beautiful trail!

Trail is in great shape. As other reviews noted, trackers indicate the hike it a bit longer. It is uphill 97% of the time, with a couple of pull out spots to catch your breath. Turned around at the second bench, but there are trails from there. Views are incredible, Eklutna is very popular on the weekends, parking can be a bit of a hassle. Also no cell service, so coordinate a meet up point with your group before if not together.

My tracker said it was 5.75 miles from the trail head. Very pretty all the way at the top. Once you hit he second bench you are almost there! Worth the views

fee

May 15, 2020 - was dry and easy to follow, I was fine with trail running sneakers. Normally have to pay to park. Only made it just past the second bench. Will definitely do it again!

Honestly my favorite hike in AK. Best view and best workout. Pretty dry. 10/10 would recommend

Perfect right now! Not muddy, scree is not loose yet! Up, up, up!

fee

Good workout to the top, somewhat past the second bench. Wide open view of the lake with flurries of breezes that calm you down. I loved it. Most people stop at the first bench.

Great trail, busy. Beautiful moose!

fee

Great trail!!! It is not 4.8 miles. My tracker said 8.4 total. And this trail is uphill the entire time, make no mistake about that. It is so worth it but it is absolutely uphill almost the entire time.

fee

Great hike! Nice wide trail and a good incline all the way up. Muddy in some spots on the way up to the second bench. Once we got to the second bench it was a muddy, snowy climb to the ridge. I turned around once I reached the ridge where you can look out over Eklutna Lake (which was 1/2 mile up from the 2nd Bench). Nice places to lay out and lunch or take a nap up there. I will definitely do this hike again! But next time I will venture up toward Pepper Peak.

Beautiful views! You can just hike to the first bench if you like (the trail is nice and set up to this point), but the views at the second bench, and especially beyond the second bench (at the top of the mountain), or worth the extra work. This part of the trail is a little harder, though. I definitely slipped a couple of times coming down from the very top of the mountain.

This was a good trail but not very exciting. The first bench (about a mile up) is a great location but if there's already someone sitting there there's nowhere for you to sit if you're antisocial like me. The second bench was surrounded by mud and bushes. We wanted to go further but it was narrow and slippery and we didn't have poles or crampons. Kind of anticlimactic...

fee

The trail was well maintained & not muddy or snowy until very close to the end. It was a good exercise for sure, as it is pretty much entirely uphill.