Twin Peaks Trail

Twin Peaks Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, Alaska that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

The Twin Peaks trailhead can be reached by walking away from Eklutna Lake and crossing Thachkatnu Creek and heading up the mountain. The trail winds up the East Twin Peak at a fairly steep elevation for most of the hike. Views of Eklutna Lake can be seen for the entire hike; but doesn't really become worthwhile until you get above the tree line. There is a bench that overlooks Eklutna Lake, the surrounding peaks (West Twin Peak, East Twin Peak, Pepper Peak) and the Glacier. If you continue on past the bench using the trail goats, dall sheep, bald eagles, and bear are likely to be seen. Late in the summer berries of various sorts blanket the mountainside.

well maintained trail that is wide and gradually inclines from the trees to an amazing view of the lake.

Such a great hike! Pretty steep most of the way up. The first bench is definitely a good stopping point if you aren't in the greatest shape. Otherwise, go to the second bench. And if you're up for a real challenge and want the best view, continue on past the second bench to the mountain peak. It's less of a trail and more of a dirt/rock path but you'll know the way you're going. Such a fun hike with the BEST view at the end. Definitely worth the workout it gives you!

Just took the kids to the first bench. Decent incline, took it slow and steady.

beautiful view of the lake about half way through the trail and even better when you get to the top, beware the trail is pretty steep a lot of the way.

Challenging for a beginner. Definitely worth the next day soreness if you go to the top!

Beautiful views!!

Very difficult, steep climb. Worth it once you get to the top. My step tracker counted a 7 mile round trip from bottom to top and back down. Took about 4.5 hours with a good amount of rests. Pace yourself and you'll have a blast!

This was a pretty difficult hike with steep inclines; however, it's all worth it when you reach the top. The view of Eklutna Lake is incredible!

Nice wide trail with a steady climb, but not strenuous. If you are going for the view of the lake I suggest stopping at the first bench. Unless I missed something the second bench was more of a view of mountains. All in all a nice walk in the woods!

Amazing view of eklutna lake as you get above the tree line. Look for Dall sheep as you turn and hike toward the twin peaks. We saw 15 way off in the distance. Some steep parts but overall not too bad. The trail is well beaten with just a few places with loose rocks.

Beautiful view! The trail is a little steep and think on the way up to second bench. Overall, I love it.

this was the best trail I have taken since coming here! go straight up at the first bench if you are up for a challenge and want to get to the peak.

Great view from the end! Plenty of wildlife to see!

Beautiful views all the way up! Quad burner but sooooo worth it!!!!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Mild hike, innumerable amounts of mountain goats- bring binoculars. GORGEOUS LAKE ... beautiful hike. Plenty of spots to rest, if you continue to hike the peak it can be quite steep. No snow on the trail whatsoever when I hiked it. Enjoy, be safe and never stop exploring.

Monday, October 10, 2016

I agree with another review, you don't have to go to the end. Unless you just want extra exercise and more time enjoying being on the trail, once you get to the nice lake view you can stop. After that the views aren't as good. Crowded trail, I went on a Saturday evening and passed a lot of groups going up. Still makes for a nice day hike.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Good view but if I could do it again I'd keep going to Pepper Peak

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great trail. Especially in the fall because you are surrounded by forest and the colors are amazing. Has quite a bit of elevation. We stopped around 2 miles at the first bench. The rest of the way is loose rocks and we had our dog.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful views of Eklutna Lake! Steady incline all the way up but not difficult.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Absolutely beautiful. My children love it!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Great hike. Straight up incline the entire way.
Gorgeous view of Eklutna lake and twin peaks.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Good condition, steep loose rocks for last push to top.

Friday, June 10, 2016

The trail was steeper than I expected, but totally worth the hike up. The views were amazing. I cannot stress enough to be prepared for bear and moose. While coming back down, we found fresh bear droppings. Also, a momma moose and her baby were blocking the trail. Another moose was spotted not too long after that. Bring bug spray, bear spray, bear bell, water, and a snack. I would do this trail again!

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Trail conditions were great, clear sky and sunny not to many other hikers. Really thinned out past the first bench. Bring pleanty of water on a hot day, im glad we did. Great short hike if you only have a few hours.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hiked this three weeks ago. Little snowy and muddy at the top, by the second bench, but gorgeous views and sighting of Dall sheep.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I am going to review this honestly. As a 36 year old, overweight but physically active woman with bad knees this hike was intense. I have very short legs and shortened calf muscles so any inclines are rough on me. Is it easy? Not so much. Would I do it again? Probably, at least to the first bench. After that bench the trail got much steeper and the views got considerable less picturesque. The waterfall was just a trickle this spring, and it was brown past the bench. Maybe it would be prettier later in the summer. I am glad I did the entire hike, the trail was well maintained, easy to follow, clean and lovely. I only complain because it was very steep and difficult for me so I had to take many breaks along the way. The abandoned car along the trail was definitely a puzzle. How did that even happen? It was a nice place to explore a mystery and take a water break. We did run across a black bear and several piles of fresh scat. Make sure to bring bells and spray!

Monday, February 08, 2016

Hiked it in July 2015. Great day, beautiful weather. Rainey(dog) was a little trooper, running back n forth on the trail checking on us. We were all of us pooped out after that climb however the ice cream stop on our way out perked us up. :)

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Anyone have any information about that old blue car down the side of the mountain at the beginning of the hike? There's no way that car could have driven up that trail. My friends and I went down to it and saw names and dates scratched into the paint from as far back as '54. It was so cool and I'm so curious!

Monday, May 19, 2014

Nice hike that is consider moderate but it might get harder in some areas but doable. Had fun with my kids and they made it good. Nice view of Eklutna lake, those are beautiful pictures...

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Great views, moderate hike but can be a bit strenuous in areas! $5 parking fee but good luck finding a parking spot! We had to park about a half mile down the road and walk to the trailhead! Not complaining because I could use the exercise, however, the last thing I want to do after a 6-mile hike up a mountain side and back down it is walk another half mile to get to my vehicle. You would think that $5/vehicle that they would make more parking spots closer to the trailhead and lake!