The Goat Trail

The Goat Trail is a 39.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kennicott, Alaska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

This is an amazing trip in Wrangell-St. Elias. Great waterfalls, dramatic peaks, glaciers, etc. You will likely see other parties out there, so don't expect to have the whole place to yourself. Get a good USGS map, not just a GPS. I would also urge great caution for the river crossings. Crossing Toby Creek and the Chitistone is nothing to take lightly. Be prepared for some bushwhacking, but try to avoid it whenever possible. Although this trip is doable in 5 days, I'd strongly recommend taking at least eight days to enjoy some day hikes and side trips. I'd be happy to discuss this further and share some photos and tips. Email me at Phillip.stosberg@gmail.com if you'd like.

Friday, April 05, 2013

Well...not sure where to begin with this! What a trip/trail. We were flown in and could not do the entire trail due to inaccessibility of snow and ice. However we did 7 days out here and saw bears, goats, sheep, avalanches, slides and fantastic scenary! The hike was fairly strenuous having to over uneven boulders and terrain. We used ropes in one section as an aide. Crossing the rivers proved to be our nemecist though. We were ok for the first half of the trip and then all hell broke loose on the return. Weather conditions can make or break you and the trip (as with any Alaskan adventure!). Would love to do this trip again though.