South Fork Eagle River Trail

South Fork Eagle River Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Eagle River, Alaska that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2043 feet

just finished this beautiful hike. me and my husband did it in about 2 hours with turn offs to the river a few times.

Fairly easy, fun hike. Brought plenty of water and picnic food. Enjoyed immensely

The trail all the way to the lakes and back is more like 13-14 miles but it was a beautiful view! I want to go back and camp next time!

Gorgeous!!!!! Quite the Boulder field leading to the lakes

Awesome experience

Just awesome

This was a beautiful trail! We took two dogs, a seven year old and a 7 week old in a front pack. We are traveled well through out the hike but it was longer than expected. Walking back from the lakes the kiddo decided he wanted to hitch a ride on his dad's back. A little long for little kids but very beautiful and easy to walk, just long.

Beautiful and very long. Next time I attempt I will dress better for the hike. Was around 78 and I decided to wear jeans...bad idea. At the halfway point I was dead. Three bottles of water was not enough. Lots of people and dogs on the trail and everyone was friendly.

Completed this hike with a local friend of mine. The trail was great and the scenery even better. The only negative that I saw was the trash. I'll never understand why people can't pack out what they pack in.
I'm glad we went in on a Sunday as there weren't any crowds, but on our hike out on Monday we passed a few large groups of backpackers on their way to adventure.

Great scenery and a relatively level hike. My 4 year old made it to the end but had to catch a ride on my shoulders on the way back. The boulders were fun and the lakes were beautiful! Make sure to pay attention to time!

Lovely walk/hike! moderately easy, though it is a bit lengthy. Seems pretty busy on the weekends, I'm sure the crowds calm down in weekdays/off-season. if you follow this trail and pass Eagle Lake to the left, it will lead you to Flute Glacier's terminus (this glacier is the reason why Eagle Lake is milky-azure in color). I would recommend Flute Glacier be done in an overnight.

Nice easy hike! Beautiful scenery. Parked on street because parking lot was full we all ended up with tickets.

Nice easy hike. Beautiful scenery!

I went during the summer and it was a beautiful yet long hike. The two lakes at the end are worth it. There are boulders towards the end of the hike. We brought our puppy and had to carry him while passing through the boulders. I highly recommend this hike.

If you live here this trail is a must. Beautiful scenery most of the trail. Careful if you are trying to cross the bolder field in the winter, very difficult to see the trail and to not fall through holes. But loved this hike!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This is a long hike. Close to 11 miles. Bring plenty of water and a snack for yourself and dog. We took our dog and the boulders at the end are very challenging. I wouldn't take him again. We had a hard time scaling them. Beautiful scenery though.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

It was a beautiful hike. The kids and dogs loved it too!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

What a fabulous hike - the views are spectacular and the lakes are breathtaking!! It's an easy trail yet challenging if you're not used to hiking long distances. No joke, wear sunscreen and bring a hat! That Alaskan sun can be wicked hot, even with mild cloud cover. Bring water, lots of drinking water (or a filter), snacks/energy bars, and a camera. The trail is dog-friendly but the boulder field at the end could be a bit of challenge for your K9 friends. One of our two chocolate labs got his rear foot stuck in between a couple of rocks. He freaked out a bit and started yelping - gave us a bit of scare but he was lucky and only had a couple scratches. Now, about that boulder field. We were told to "follow the cairns (piles of rocks used as trail markers)..." so we followed the biggest ones right through the field... We concluded that some of those cairns were erected purely for entertainment purposes for unsuspecting hikers like us. It took us 50 minutes to get through. On the way back we followed the cairns closest to Eagle Lake and it only took 25 minutes to get through the boulder field. Overall, this was an awesome hike and a great adventure.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

The view is simply beautiful on this hike ... Once you get to the lakes it's just breathtaking!