New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

South Fork Eagle River Trail

South Fork Eagle River Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Eagle River, Alaska that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,558 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome trail, hikes the mountain behind the lakes.. finished at around 16 miles but was a wonderful day for a hike

Great trail, overall easy but very long, so pack some snacks and water. Gets more difficult once reaching the boulders. We made it to Eagle Lake, but not Symphony Lake because of the boulders. Beautiful views, 2 bridges, not too many trees so can see into the distance. Moderately busy on a Sunday afternoon. Does get icy and muddy in some places.

Great Trail. I didn’t go all the way to symphony lake but great views. I went when it was raining so lots of puddles but easy to go around. Great hike all together.

I hiked this trail the second week in September, and the colors were phenomenal. The trail is really nice for most of the way, winding through the valley and crossing over the river. It gets a little hairy when you reach the rocks towards the end. There are piles of rocks to help you keep to the trail, and having my hiking poles helping with climbing over the rocks. There is a small summit past the structure that we didn’t go to, but a fellow hiker said it was about a half hour further, and he spotted some mountain goats up there. On our way out we saw a moose up on one of the hills. The bright blue lakes looked stunning with the fall colors, and if I do this hike again I would allow more time for exploring.

Amazing views! I would rate it as a moderate hike. Finished it in 4.5 hours at an average walking pace.

So first of all, Chris L & Jason Hunt are obviously in much better shape than I am. We read the reviews and decided we could probably finish the whole in & back, no problem. So on minute 15 I needed a snack and I want you to know that I did not eat that snack on a flat trail. It’s hilly and beautiful. And hilly. Maybe 10 feet is flat. Feet. Not miles. So I’m glad we did the hike, but my two friends I went with absolutely were aware that they told me it was a flat hike. It is not. It’s a nice, hilly, hike. You’re welcome, normal activity level human beings. Pack snacks.

Would rate this trail between easy and moderate. Near the end is a boulder field that moves this into the moderate category. Also, traffic flow is closer to heavy vs the moderate rating given. Great views. Easy access from Anchorage or the MatSu. Plan on 2.5 hours of travel each way.

This is a beautiful trail that starts out very easy. There are cool wooden steps and a bridge. If you want to see the lakes it becomes more difficult. There is a boulder field at the end for about a half a mile where the trail is not easy to follow. Definitely worth the effort.

I wouldn’t say this is a hard hike lol. Moderate maybe? Mostly flat, some incline, little harder once you get towards the lakes climbing through the rocks. But overall pretty good hike.

This is a beautiful trail that offers 360 views of scenic, mountainous Alaska. The first four miles or so of the hike out is fairly easy, with wide, accessible trails winding through the valleys, although with the short trees you should prepare for no shade. And then you get to the boulder field. You'll know when, because at the last cute little bridge crossing a beautiful babbling stream, there will be some pockets of small blue puddles, but there will be a nearly endless field of boulders to cross, and it's more than enough tediousness (or excitement, depending on your mileage) to make up for the generally easy hike out. You'll be rewarded with views of both Symphony and Eagle Lakes. Until you have to cross back over the damn boulders to get back. There are a few rock piles, to mark some ostensible trail across, but you can tell that everyone forges their own hopeless path towards and away from the lakes. I'd recommend sturdy hiking sneakers with ankle support for this part of the journey. Otherwise, the lakes are beautiful, as is the rest of the hike. We left early on a summer Friday morning around 7am and encountered just a couple people during the initial mile or two, then no one for hours and miles until our way back, around 1pm, when it was a veritable stream of groups of hikers, families, people with happy dogs coming for the afternoon. Bring plenty of water, a hat, and your binoculars!

I really Enjoyed this Hike. Its actually pretty flat and easy until you get right new Eagle River lake, then it becomes very Rocky. Great views though. Would do again.

Was a good hike. After you get across the last bridge it gets super rocky.

Amazing views! Creek flows and lakes after the rock scramble are worth it! Took roughly 5 and 1/2 hrs.

We started pretty early, which helped with the heat/no shade aspect. Beautiful views and fireweed along the way!

There’s an amazing view the whole way that just keeps getting better! Don’t be intimidated by the distance, it’s relatively flat nearly the whole way and 100% worth it. Boulders would definitely be difficult for older dogs, but we did see some people with pups making their way across.

This trail doesn’t have much elevation gain and for me was more of a moderate hike rather than difficult. I wouldn’t do it on a hot day because, like others have mentioned, there isn’t any shade. There are some buggy spots because the trail is a little swampy. There are boards across the trail where it is too muddy. There is a bridge about two miles up and another bridge about 4-5 miles up before you reach the boulder field. Just follow the cairns and it’s not too difficult. There is some sort of shelter at the top. We hiked to the saddle between the lakes. Very beautiful hike for little amount of elevation gain you have to do.

I’m from Florida and this is my second “boulder field trail” totalllllyyy didn’t know what to expect. Not going to lie the boulder field SUCKS but it makes it more of an adventure ! We actually logged 14 miles round trip from the start of the trailhead to the ridge between the lakes. There is little to no shade and I hate to see people out there who are ill prepared, wear sun screen and a hat! Bring lots of water and snacks!