Slaughter Gultch Via Juneau Trail

Slaughter Gultch Via Juneau Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cooper Landing, Alaska that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

I personally think the uphill on this trail is more challenging than Skyline, but not quite as fun. Great trail, breath taking views and a few great places for lunch!

Solid, moderately hard hike.
Steep start with multiple rocky outcrops that have to be navigated. At about halfway the trail splits, wider path goes to lakes, smaller side trail goes to summit.
From the halfway mark memorial, the trail becomes very rocky, much more scrambling, steep spots.
Worth every moment once at the summit, though.

I would rate this hike moderate to difficult, we made it to 2000ft elevation and the view is awesome is worth the climb.

I would rate this as a difficult hike. It's a very steep trek for the first mile, requiring us to get on all fours and climb up. But once you get to the Ridge it gets much easier depending on the time of year. For us, there was still plenty of snow and there were also muddy areas that were pretty slick. The cool thing about this hike is that you get what you put into it. The view is visible for the duration of most of the hike. As you climb up it just gets better and better.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Great trail with great views. I would rate the first part of the hike to the memorial as moderate. The second part to the top as moderate to difficult.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Slaughter was a great hike! It's easy to get to but not so easy to find. The trail starts through forrest without any view, but with beautiful trees and a crystal clear creek. After clearing the trees, it's almost directly vertical and up rocks-not for the scared of heights or out of shape. The ascent is 1500 ft in the first 1.3 milea but the reward is beautiful. I could've sat up there for hours!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Great view at the top ! The best hike in Cooper landing!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Great hike for berries. Blueberries, currents, and watermelon berries. Steeper than we thought it was going to be but still ok for my 5 year old. We found the trailhead at the end of Stetson Circle.

Monday, June 27, 2016

This was definitely a fun hike. Steep in some parts of hike. We did have to stop to catch our breath but the views or the Kenai Lake and River were great. I would definitely do this hike again!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

excellent. steep hike. start at end of Stetson circle.

Friday, March 25, 2016

One of the best views in Cooper Landing. I feel like this should be classified as moderate to difficult. Definitely not easy. I went with three very in shape girls and we all needed breaks to catch our breath. But as always, the view of the Kenai River was breathtaking itself and worth every climb.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

One of my favorite hikes. Amazing views of Kenai Lake and Kenai River

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Get up and see the beautiful views of the lake and river. Enjoy a real Alaskan hike. Not for the inexpierienced.

Monday, July 20, 2015

It's one of my favorite ones.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

Slaughter gulch is a beutiful hike steep with sharp rocks with a few awesome camp spots. I hiked to the summit in about an hour. Breath taking vew at the top.

Monday, August 01, 2016

57 year long Alaskan, and finally got to hike this trail. Very good, but would consider moderate to difficult. The first summit is nice but there is a second and 3rd summit that will take you south west along the ridge top. Several very steep places along the way to the 2nd summit. Beautiful views. Be careful on the way down. Don't recommend hiking in tennis shoes on this trail, although I saw several people in them.