Slaughter Gultch Via Juneau Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(166)
Chugach National Forest

Slaughter Gultch Via Juneau Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cooper Landing, Alaska that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,598 feet Route Type: Out & Back

8 minutes ago

Great trail with rewarding views that just get better the higher you go.

If I could give more stars on this hike I would. I’ve hiked a lot in Alaska and this is one of my favorite views. If you think this hike is too hard, you can hike for 20 minutes and get above tree line and it would be worth it. I love this hike!

Definitely one for the books amazing views and I would recommend going with a group.

5/20/20. awesome trail, did it for the first time yesterday and it was my first hike, ever! wasn’t the easiest, but worth the views!

20200517 Saturday. Bit crowded because gorgeous day and seems everyone is out hiking (very Covid respectfully on 5/17). Snow not an issue. Super dry trail- bring water for your dog if you’re going all the way. A little easier than bird ridge harder than alyeska, not difficult. Trail clear to follow. Simply lovely views all the way up, but if you have time it does get prettier the farther you go

Gorgeous hike with stunning views of Kenai Lake and the kenai river. Very warm and dry - the trail gets dusty. Beautiful flowers along the trail. Be ready for a leg burner! Definitely worth the hike!

5/17/20: The parking area is confusing at first because the app takes you to a street that looks residential, but if you keep going, there are a few parking spots at the end. If not, they allow you to park at the store nearby. Beautiful weather today!!! The sun was burning up at the top. When beginning the trail, we hopped over a log and kept right at the fork where the trail has its only muddy section. There are logs on top to help you stay clean and dry. The trail was dry with loose dirt and rocks. First part of the hike wasn’t bad, but after 10 minutes there was a constant incline. I thought I was in ok shape and this hike kicked my butt. I had to take a break quite often. There are some parts of scrambling over rocks near the top. I think it took about 3.5 hours to get all the way up to the peak and 2 hours to descend. Bring trekking poles. Protect your heels from blisters! The constant climb made my heels raw. Started at 10am and it was pretty crowded around 1:30pm at the peak. If you don’t want to go all the way up, there is still a beautiful view about 30 minutes up. Although my body was hurting, the view was worth it. There is a convenience store with a bathroom nearby. We ate at the BBQ grill 2 miles down afterwards. Great way to end the day.

Definitely more difficult than moderate. Great views all the ways. Bring poles if you’ve got them.

So beautiful!! Well worth the hard work to get to the top.

Definitely a favorite. Considerable incline, a bit of scramble near the top after the small "forest". Trail was dry and a bit loose in a few spots on the bottom half. Beautiful views from the top! Trekking poles were helpful coming down.

Excellent hike. Definitely challenging with the constant incline but well worth it at the end.

Beautiful views at the top! I’d say this hike is at the high end of moderate difficulty. 10/10 would recommend!

This is not a “moderate” hike. But still really pretty, great views during the entire hike. Totally worth it. But come prepared.

Loved this hike, it was absolutely beautiful. Definitely a harder one but well worth it in the end for the gorgeous views. You actually kinda get a ton of views quickly and slowly get to watch it get better!

The wife and I hiked this for our first hike of the season,and were ot left disappointed. The drive down was amazing and the hike was equally enjoyable. We decided to turn around at 1000 feet due to time and dropping temps but we will definitely be back to attempt the summit!

My favorite hike from here south on the peninsula.

One of my favorite hikes in Alaska! The view is stunning and you get above tree line pretty fast. That way you have pretty view with lots to see. Right now there are some icy sections. You definitely need to micros pikes.

icy

Absolutely insane this time of year. Snow is halfway through melting making it extremely slippery. ice patches near the bottom. Toward the very top the snow is super soft. Only reason I kept going is because a nice gentleman that I met at the top said him and his son snow shoed a trail up, other it would be nearly impossible and youd have no idea where to go as a first timer. A lot toward the top is going through bushes and stepping on what didnt serm like a trail, but this app seemed to say I was still going the right way anyway. Either way, great experience and AMAZING views. One of my favorite hikes. I ignored the "no dogs" and I'm glad I did. This is Alaska, if you're dog is used to strenuous hikes, bring them!