Learn more

Skyline Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cooper Landing, Alaska that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,929 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is still quite intact despite fire damage from the past year. All downed trees have been removed from the trail. The cleared trees and underbrush from the fire offer an unobstructed view of the entire area start to finish. It was a fun climb nonetheless.

Rapid climb. Bring your bear spray. Super cool once you get out of the under growth

Trail is amazing and you definitely get a great burn going! Need to work on cardio? This trail is perfect and the view is worth it!

For those that don’t hike much, like myself, it wasn’t easy. Took us about 2.5 hrs to get to the top and an hour to get down. The views were absolutely gorgeous and made the hike well worth it. Ammo can at the very top. Two kids came as well, 12 and 15, both were able to make it up. Gorgeous time.

Sun Jun 09 2019

This trail is a little deceiving, it says it is 3 miles round trip, which you could really stop at any point above the tree line and get a good view. but if you really want to get the full experience, I recommend going all the way to the peak which is about 3 miles one way. It is very steep at times and has slippery rock along the way down. it is definitely worse going down then it is going up. Cool trip!!! Look for a military ammo can up top, book to sign.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Hard trail in March! Lots of snow to try and get passed.

Fri Feb 01 2019

Awesome trail and it was pretty straight up… We were the first people to make a path in the snow so some places got dodgy up at the very top we were waist deep. My 63-year-old dad beat me up the mountain me and my dog did great but obviously my one-year-old dog beat us all up there. She did have to swim through the snow quite a bit but it was really warm and sunny that day and the clouds were beneath us it was probably one of the most gorgeous view I’ve ever seen! To go up 1.3 miles before we had to stop because we couldn’t keep going through waist deep snow it probably took us a little over an hour but you need to wear spikes on your shoes because it’s very slippery going up and much more slippery going down! Completed the last day of January 2019

Thu Dec 27 2018

Hard but so worth it. Straight up the whole way. Beautiful views!!

Fri Nov 02 2018

Was definitely tired and sore the next day.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Skyline may be listed as Moderate here but I Can tell you it is one of the most vigorous hikes you can attempt. The elevation gain is brutal in some places and if the trail is wet there's real danger of a slip trip or fall. I wear mechanic gloves to protect my hands. Sturdy over the ankle hikers with steel shanks for support is what I use. Poles too. The views as you gain elevation are spectacular. The return works a very different set of leg muscles so be prepared for a workout on the way down as well.

Fri Jul 20 2018

One of my favorites that I hike often and think of as the most honest trail around. It shows you right off what’s in store—and that is steep elevation change. The map in here and several other places show the trail terminating with a 3mi round trip and around 2550’. That spot is in the saddle not the summit. If you go to the summit, it’s about 4.8mi round trip. Wonderful views from the summit.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Good Trail, great view at the top. But very steep! Hiking poles would be useful, we didn’t use any but it was definitely more difficult. The hike down is no joke either! But totally worth the views.

Thu Apr 26 2018

Trailhead is across the road from parking area. Fun hike straight up - sort of. Some switchbacks and some very steep straight shots that are pretty tough if trail conditions are not right. Some nice covered area near the saddle. Good view of Gene Lake immediately below and Skilak to the south west. On a perfectly clear day with glass you can see Denali to the north east. I’ve seen it two different times, once from the saddle and once from the right hilltop beyond the saddle. “The top” is generally considered st the saddle between two hilltops, but if you follow the trail up the hilltop to to the right, there’s a memorial plaque riveted into the stone and there used to be a waterproof time capsule of sorts (might still be there.) Some see this as the end, Continuing past this spot takes you around a horseshoe of up and down peak walking that is the Skyline to Fuller Lake Transition, and you come back down Fuller Lakes Trail. Best advice? Hiking poles if trail conditions aren’t optimal- for weak-kneed descent,mainly. Watch what you grab on to help with steep areas-it might be Devils club. Trim your toenails seriously! If not you will feel it on the way down. Also, no matter what the weather is down below, it can get pretty chilly up top. Aside: Kids from our church have taken trash bags up when there was still snow on the peaks on either side of the saddle and sledded down.

Sat May 18 2019