Skilak Lookout Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cooper Landing, Alaska that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail with awesome views.

Beautiful views on the way as you climb to the top. The trail is pretty easy and well established. The incline wasn't too bad at all well worth the view at the top! My new favorite hike recommend it to anyone!

Kinda muddy, but so worth it!! The view from the top is amazing!! I definitely recommend this trail. Bring your gun and or bear spray we did see what looked like a bear paw print in the mud.

Amazing views at the end, very muddy and buggy for parts along the way. Nice gradual incline. We went a little past the main viewpoint to the top on a clear day, and could make out Denali in the distance (oppose direction of the lake).

Great view at the end of the trail but it’s a narrow trail. Gets overgrown later in the summer. Also BRING BUG SPRAY.!.!.!.

Beautiful views along the way but definitely worth making it to the top. 360 degree views weather was amazing yesterday for this hike.

We did this trail and there are still a bit of snow on the ground on the way up but it all melted by the time we came back down. You go through a little bit of low tree area and then as you round the hillside you come into view of Skilak lake. Can you turn in towards the mountain and start up some nice switchbacks before you head up the final shoot that takes your round on to the hilltop.

What I’ve always liked about this hike the many times I’ve done it, Is the constant you a Skilak lake And the surrounding mountains throughout most of the hike. Then when you get to the hilltop it’s a great place to kick back and enjoy your snack. Hold onto your hat though because sometimes it gets incredibly windy up top.

Aside: years ago I meat the trail workers that were in the process of clearing trees and brush to put in the switchbacks that you use to transition from the hillside to the mountain. College students. All wresting various levels of gear - but all with neckties. They said they wore the neckties for formal pictures. Sort of their trademark. I love that picture.

Very fun trail with some amazing views at the top! Went in late September so the trail was pretty muddy--wear good boots and probably bring a stick for the way down. We heard/scared off a bear during the middle of the hike and saw tons of bear prints all the way up. 10/10 would recommend this hike!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

it's narrow, muddy, and a bunch of bugs but the views are stunning

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Stumbled upon a black bear very early in the hike. The bear ran off. Continued on. The view from the top and about half way up is beautiful

Saturday, July 15, 2017

It was a great hike with amazing views! Very muddy at the bottom.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

I added this trail as a new trail, because the only other one (that I could find anyway) is combined with Bear Mountain, which is a completely different trail. I enjoyed this trail because of the view at the top. This was my 1st hike in AK, so I think I chose a good one to start out with. Little muddy at the bottom in spots but was able to walk to the side and stay pretty much mud-free the entire trip. Took me about 3 hours in total, and that included some extra lounging and photo-taking time. Did not see any wildlife at all.

Thursday, October 05, 2017